If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 334: "Jem and the Holograms"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited February 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 334: "Jem and the Holograms

Today's podcast is truly outrageous. Anna Marie, Alex, and Chris try to talk about some video game news. Unfortunately for our heroes, it seems that Eric Raymond has hired misfits, Alex and Phil, to crash the party! Will our heroes be able to save Starlight Music and preserve the peace of Catster? Find out on today's episode!

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/334

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Jem and the Holograms
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • PowerlordPowerlord Spy, gentlemen! Full Members
    edited February 2015
    Despite suggesting it, I didn't actually think that you would use Jem and the Holograms as the title.
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited February 2015
    The Nintendo affiliate program is worse than you communicated because Nintendo will be taking 40% after YouTube takes half!
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited February 2015
    The Nintendo affiliate program is worse than you communicated because Nintendo will be taking 40% after YouTube takes half!

Indeed, that program is an abomination.
    edited February 2015
    I guess I'm a little confused. I thought it was YouTube/Google who was paying the royalties to begin with.

At any rate, I suggest that its better than nothing. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that the law is on the creators side on this one. I don't usually read all that tiny little text at the beginning of DVD videos... you know... the disclaimer on the blue background with the government seal of approval or whatnot... but, I know enough to know that it means I can't just do whatever I want with the DVD. For example, having worked in hotels, I know that I cannot show the DVD in a TV in the lobby. That's considered a 'public showing.' Even if I do not charge money, I would still have to obtain special permission and/or pay some fancy royalties to do that. Talking over it while doing so would not change that. Heck, I can't even play music in the lobby without paying a royalty to the music rights companies (of which there are three).

So, color me un-surprised that companies push back on these let's plays and such. I do not know whether they do it because they feel they leave money on the table, or for other reasons. For example, some companies will pursue such issues aggressively, no matter how small, because their lawyers will instruct them that if they do not, they open the door for large scale distribution of their product, through such channels, down the road, which they may not want.

With that said, I always understood that "Let's Plays" generally lead to more sales of most games featured. One would think that companies would do more to encourage such showcasing and free advertisement of their product. Since companies always want to make more money, I can only conclude that those creating barriers, such as Nintendo, feel that the potential costs outweigh the benefits. Of course, the could also be wrong.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited February 2015
    One complaint I've heard about Nintendo's program is that it doubles as a censorship program. If Nintendo doesn't like what a video says about their games, for absolutely any reason, they can reject it and tough cookies.

I would hope that the principle of "Fair Use" would still apply to, say, video reviews of Nintendo Games. But, say, a Let's Play video of Paper Mario Sticker Star in which the player happens to say something negative about the game? Fair Use wouldn't apply to that, I think, and Nintendo might opt to veto it.

Chris, you asked for a WoW news site? MMO Champion is the place to go.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content

They are a data mining site, but they also do things like collect and display message posts from Blizzard game developers and PR reps ("blue posters" or "blue names"). Whenever there's an upcoming change in WoW, big or small, it'll be on their front page.

Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with MMO Champion.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited February 2015
    I have a question for Chris and anyone else who played through Banner Saga: how was it? I was surprised to see it do so well in RPGamer's best of post, but I'm on the fence. I love tactics games, but I see things like "$22 for 6 hours of game play" and the warning alarms in my head go off. Is it worth playing? Is it worth playing if I can find a friend with a copy so I don't have to pay for it? Unlike other people who used to depend on other sites like joystick for news, you're my one video game source, so give it your best!
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited February 2015
    Oh that's right. Chris bought Panzer Dragoon with the intention of playing through it and selling it on, to recuperate the original costs.
    Did he mange to do that? Or was it one of the games that was lost?
    edited February 2015
    I have a question for Chris and anyone else who played through Banner Saga: how was it? I was surprised to see it do so well in RPGamer's best of post, but I'm on the fence. I love tactics games, but I see things like "$22 for 6 hours of game play" and the warning alarms in my head go off. Is it worth playing? Is it worth playing if I can find a friend with a copy so I don't have to pay for it? Unlike other people who used to depend on other sites like joystick for news, you're my one video game source, so give it your best!

It seems no one is jumping to answer this question based on personal experience....so I'll give you my answer based on 2nd hand experience :P (I should play this one...given that its so short). My friend spent about 10 hours and enjoyed it pretty well. For him it was worth the $20 he paid for it. It was enough to convince me to buy it. In a world filled with 100 hour RPGs padded with repetitive gameplay, I'm excited about a fun, tight experience that doesn't overstay its welcome. Then again, I'm that silly person who paid $50ish for Tomb Raider (a 12 hour experience) and totally felt like I got my money's worth, there.

With that said, I'm sure if you favorite on GoG and/or Steam, it will go on sale there soon enough for 1/2 price.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Two of us answered questions about The Banner Saga in the GOTY thread already. :)

I bought it on sale, and it was definitely worth the $17 I paid for it. It's not a 6 hour game though. More like 10-12.

EDIT: Just checked my Steam clock and it said 18 hours, but I tend to leave games running and my clocks are off. It was probably over 12 hours of game time, though.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.