If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 138 - Over the Borderline

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited February 2015 in Latest Updates
When it comes to the first Borderlands, lots of talk about gathering guns shares space with love for the simple pleasure of administering a shotgun blast to the face. It's all about bringing the fruits of civilization to another world.
I've got somethin' for ya!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited February 2015
    The skit at the beginning was hilarious, and the show was a great tour of an RPG series I'll never have time to play.

I think you erroneously conflate the statement "I loved this game" with "this game is the best ever."

People can adore a terrible games while admitting that the game is terrible, just like people enjoy B-movies but don't necessarily believe that B-movies are the best films ever.

I loved Beyond the Beyond. It completely deserves its low rating on this site. I loved Dragon Quest 7. Its poor pacing and other issues means that IMO it deserves the review it got on this site.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Borderline? AH man, wish I remember that would be the title to the show. I would have totally added this song to the end....
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited February 2015
    Hey Mike, it seem like you have trouble in monster hunter 4 with the control.

Well for my part I rarely use the pad to look around, the L key is my friend, it put the camera right behind you, or with the new feature of big monster target, once you activate it, one click on the L key point the camera right to the monster or a double click behind you.

I think it is a big upgrade form the last monster hunter, it does help me a lot!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    edited February 2015
    Comments you desire, then comments you shall have!
    I thoroughly enjoyed Borderlands, even though I played it through solo, 3 or 4 times in fact! Though the lack of variety in missions and color are fair complaints, the game and its environments seem to me to have a lot of, for lack of a better word, character. Everything seems to fit together well and give off that sci-fi old west feel, theres just not a lot of it, which is something I think the second game fixes a lot. One odd thing I noticed that a lot of the outdoor segments have a lot more open space then what you normally see in these kinds of games, and First-Person shooters in general. I kind of liked that. Made the planet seem a bit more desolate. I also liked what bits of story/lore there was, even if pretty much all of it came in text form. The bits about the psychos and the origins of their mutations being from convicts forced into working as miners and being exposed to "something" which drove them all insane strikes me as potentially fascinating, even if they never expand on it or just write it off as Eridium in the future or something. The sheer volume of guns and their unique effects was also nice. I particularly liked The Rhino, a launcher which fires rockets that explode continuously as it remains in flight until it hits an unbreachable surface.
    I hope to hear a Backtrack on the second game and the PreSequel(not a word) Sometimes soon. I'll probably play through BL2 another time on steam so if anyone wanted company playing through as well, i'd be up to that.
    And I prefer Backtrack to the RPGcast! They know what they did!

By the by, the name for the alien weapons is Eridian, not Elerium. Y'all have been playing too much X-com.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    there is no such thing as too much XCOM. shut your lying mouth right now.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    there is no such thing as too much XCOM. shut your lying mouth right now.

Says the man who accidentally killled his wife and friends in it. Jerk.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Nyx wrote: »
    Says the man who accidentally killled his wife and friends in it. Jerk.

Hey, I hear I went out in a blaze of glory atop a mountain of alien corpses. I can deal with that.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Ombres wrote: »
    Hey Mike, it seem like you have trouble in monster hunter 4 with the control.

Well for my part I rarely use the pad to look around, the L key is my friend, it put the camera right behind you, or with the new feature of big monster target, once you activate it, one click on the L key point the camera right to the monster or a double click behind you.

I think it is a big upgrade form the last monster hunter, it does help me a lot!

That feature was in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

For the most part you really shouldn't need much camera control beyond centering with the L button on occasion or a quick adjustment with the d-pad.

Mike - I have a circle pad pro you can borrow if you need it. I don't use it.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    edited February 2015
    Wheels wrote: »
    That feature was in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

ah! did not know, since I did have the monster hunter tri, I did not try the ultimate one.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Ombres wrote: »
    ah! did not know, since I did have the monster hunter tri, I did not try the ultimate one.

Ahh OK. Yeah something they added for the 3DS version though it may have been available on the Wii U as well.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Nyx, everyone died on that run. total bug hunt game over, man. game over.

Oce, 121 kills. 70 by headshot. never has one done so much for the benefit of so many.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    I listened to this and, finally, caught up on my backlog and got around to getting back at the forums. It's been a busy couple months, and I'm sure y'all missed my saying I had X questions but only asking Y questions.

I never quite got into the shooter/RPG hybrid thingy mostly because of a pesky visual issue. It sounds like Borderlands had a good loot system, though, and it was interesting to hear about!

And now, for a highlights reel of quick commentary on past shows:
    - While I listened to the early Final Fantasies podcast, I was helping with a reorganization of the library (archive, actually, but I was in the library unit). During the discussion of the Scholar class, I managed to knock a shelf row's worth of old books onto my head. You may have powers.
    - Trails in the Sky is probably my favorite game of 2014. It was fun to listen to, and I'm looking forward to the next one. I've got a friend who's been into the series for a decade and imported a few of them, so it's also rewarding (and a little weird) to see these in English, finally.
    - The Last Story sounded cool; I'm a sucker for that kind of story and medieval politics and such, and have occasionally forgiven otherwise bad games when they have twisty, politics-based plots. I may see if I can track a copy down and get out my Wii. I liked the musical selection from that one a lot.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    My backlog is actually pretty clear, and all this talk of dragon quest has got me thinking. I played all the ds remakes recently, and i sort of got the itch to play 7 again. I haven't played it since release, but I think in going to. Lost my mind.
    You haven't lost your mind... but you will. ROFL!!!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    I still like the classic look, the enemies, and the job systems. Dw7 biggest flaw for me was the sheer amount of filler content.
    Isn't it like... 70-80 hours of filler content? It sounded like it from the review awhile back.
  • Overlord RamirezOverlord Ramirez New Member London, UKFull Members
    ah Borderlands the game I got about 3 hours into then walked away
    overlordramirez.jpg
    Texside wrote: »
    Isn't it like... 70-80 hours of filler content? It sounded like it from the review awhile back.

Yeah since the story is sort of episodic, it doesn't really come across as one large plot. Makes a lot of what you do seem like filler.

One things I'm just remembering about this game, is how frustrating it can be if you miss a shard somewhere and then have to go and search for it.
    Budai wrote: »
    Yeah since the story is sort of episodic, it doesn't really come across as one large plot. Makes a lot of what you do seem like filler.

One things I'm just remembering about this game, is how frustrating it can be if you miss a shard somewhere and then have to go and search for it.

What would get me, I think, is forgetting what came before. I'd be staring, trying to remember what happened 40 hours of gameplay -- and maybe 2+ months of real time -- ago, and just not being able to put it in context. Or remembering what happened where I have to backtrack to get that shard.
    edited March 2015
    Texside wrote: »
    Budai wrote: »

What would get me, I think, is forgetting what came before. I'd be staring, trying to remember what happened 40 hours of gameplay -- and maybe 2+ months of real time -- ago, and just not being able to put it in context. Or remembering what happened where I have to backtrack to get that shard.

Exactly. I still think it's a good game with all its flaws.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    While waiting for the next RPG Backtrack, I started playing Magical Starsign. This is a DS JRPG that I'd never heard of before listening to its RPG Backtrack episode; I decided to try it based on the show's recommendation. I'm halfway through, and so far it's a fun little game. Battles are a little slow, but running away is usually an option.

This is the second delightful RPG I've discovered solely through RPGamer; the first was "A Witch's Tale", which was reviewed here.
    Awesome to hear it, Victar. Yeah, I need to get with Mike and find out what show we are doing next!

Lately, aside from Demon Gaze, I've been playing some of that new 3DS game, "Code Name: STEAM." It's also a bit slow, especially during the enemy turns, but I've been enjoying it. And, I do not know why, but I've got a Starcraft II bug, allowing that game to consume what little free time I have. My mother and I also started a new clan in "Clash of Clans", and my job has picked up a bit, so I've been pretty busy between those two. I do need to get back to some retro-rpg'n here :)