If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Forum software upgrade 2/20-2/21

FoxworthFoxworth Practical Problem SolverAdministrators
edited February 2015 in Site & Forum Support
Hi All,

We will be having some forum maintenance this coming weekend 2/20-2/21 in order upgrade and migrate the forums.

During this maintenance we will be migrating our forum software away from vBulletin. We have been using vBulletin now for many years, but vBulletin 4.x is now a legacy version and is no-longer being maintained and does not support php5.5, which limits our ability to keep our underlying systems up to date. Compounded by the fact that vBulletin is commercial software which would require new licenses to be purchased for 5.x as well as having to go through a data migration from 4.x -> 5.x we came to the conclusion that now is the right time to consider alternatives to vBulletin.

After looking at several options and doing some test evaluations we have decided upon Vanilla Forums (http://vanillaforums.org) as our forum back-end of choice. We came to this decision based on a number of reasons:
  • Open Source. - While Vanilla does offer commercial hosting (http://vanillaforums.com), they make the forum software available as open-source for anybody to host themselves.
  • Simple to configure and manage. - vBulletin 4/5 have tried to do and be everything under the sun and has a highly complex admin/configuration interface to match, whereas Vanilla embraces 'KISS'.
  • Clean data migration. - All of our existing forum URLs will be able to continue to function after the migration thanks to the way Vanilla's data export/import tool sets things up. Any old links using vBulletin's URL structure will function/redirect to the equivalent Vanilla URL, so no 404 errors from links coming in from outside the forums.
  • Proven to handle high volume of users. - Vanilla is the same back-end software used by Penny-Arcade as well as other large companies such as Adobe and Edmunds.
  • Fast. - Because Vanilla doesn't try to be everything under the sun, and forgoes the highly granular minutia configuration scheme like vBulletin and its code execution is much faster.
  • Expandable through plugins. - There are some features that out the door we may not have, but Vanilla has an extensive repo of plugins available that we can look at and consider adding (http://vanillaforums.org/addons)

The plan is to perform the data migration during the evening of 2/20 and have the forums back up and running overnight, with the weekend to work out any odd kinks we run into.
This space for rent.

Comments

• FoxworthFoxworth Practical Problem Solver Administrators
    The data migration into Vanilla Forms has been completed. Please reply to this thread if you run across any unusual issues.
    This space for rent.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Looks like the announcement link at the top goes to a dead link.

Also, is there a "New unread posts" option?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited February 2015
    I've found a couple of posts that didn't quite make it across the migration.

I recall jcservant's post in this thread had some images in it:
    http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/22414/rpgtrek-non-square
    The images have left only BBCode behind: Attachment not found.

The story link in the recent Disgaea 5 announcement appears to be broken:
    http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/22525/debut-english-trailer-for-disgaea-5

Also, my last post in the anime thread has been truncated:
    http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/comment/490726/#Comment_490726
    It might be a special character / formatting issue, because it stopped right before printing a italicized "e" with a diacritic mark.
    It was supposed to read: "Sorcière de gré, pucelle de force.".
    I have a local copy of that post, and can just re-edit it, so it's no big deal, but I'll wait until you've had a look.

Edit: Went to fix the formatting in my signature, but it's telling me it's too long by 31 characters. I could delete the last line, but then how will anyone know I'm a Tales fanboy? ;-)

Edit #2:
    In the forum header, "Discussions" points to: http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussions
    But on the left sidebar, "Recent Discussions" points to: http://forums.rpgamer.com/categories
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    A few hints for people who are new to Vanilla:

1. To set all posts to viewed, go to the widget in the upper-right corner. Helpful since everything is "new" right now. :)

2. Bookmarks are useful! Click the star next to a thread you want to follow and you'll bookmark it. Then you can use the bookmarks menu, again in the upper-right corner, to see all new posts in your bookmarked threads. It's great for active threads like Say Anything.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Could do with some permission tweaking. At least very least need staff to be able to edit posts in the Latest Updates. It's pretty important for the process in posting new items :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Shaymin wrote: »
    Looks like the announcement link at the top goes to a dead link.

Also, is there a "New unread posts" option?
    I'm not sure which link you're referring to that goes to a dead link? Which link specifically is dead?

I'm still looking for a good add-on for having the "What's New" feature that vbulletin had.
    ironmage wrote: »
    I've found a couple of posts that didn't quite make it across the migration.

I recall jcservant's post in this thread had some images in it:
    http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/22414/rpgtrek-non-square
    The images have left only BBCode behind: Attachment not found.

The story link in the recent Disgaea 5 announcement appears to be broken:
    http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/22525/debut-english-trailer-for-disgaea-5

Also, my last post in the anime thread has been truncated:
    http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussion/comment/490726/#Comment_490726
    It might be a special character / formatting issue, because it stopped right before printing a italicized "e" with a diacritic mark.
    It was supposed to read: "Sorcière de gré, pucelle de force.".
    I have a local copy of that post, and can just re-edit it, so it's no big deal, but I'll wait until you've had a look.
    This may have been a side effect of the migration, when I was exporting the data the migration tool could not find/export any image attachments other than the avatars. As for the truncated post, I'm hoping that was something odd due to the special characters that might have caused the data migration to have a hiccup on that post.
    Edit: Went to fix the formatting in my signature, but it's telling me it's too long by 31 characters. I could delete the last line, but then how will anyone know I'm a Tales fanboy? ;-)

Edit #2:
    In the forum header, "Discussions" points to: http://forums.rpgamer.com/discussions
    But on the left sidebar, "Recent Discussions" points to: http://forums.rpgamer.com/categories
    Signature size has been tweaked to be a bit larger, and I'll check into the linking for the Recent Discussions. I think it's doing that because I had changed the default landing page for the forums to the Categories page to keep it more like how vbulletin was.

Could do with some permission tweaking. At least very least need staff to be able to edit posts in the Latest Updates. It's pretty important for the process in posting new items :)
    This should be fixed now.
    This space for rent.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    The link in the announcement:

Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Redirects to the thread you're currently viewing. Go to another thread, then click the link, and it doesn't work.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Not sure if this is unique to my browser or what, but when I'm looking at post listings in categories, the post listings don't show up at the top of the page like they should, but down a fair bit, just below where the side menu ends.

This is the type of page I'm referring to: http://ec2-54-149-39-71.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com/categories/miscellaneous-gaming

Also, not sure why but the addresses for any page other than the main one is showing up in the form above for me, using DNS instead of the actual domain... Obviously doesn't affect functionality, but I thought it was a bit weird.

Using Chrome version 40.0.2214.111 m
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Yeah, looks like the post display is a browser-related issue. Getting the same when I use Chrome (40.0.2214.115 m) and IE 10, but Firefox is fine.

Not getting the weird address thing on my end though.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Yep, also having this issue now on Chrome, which is weird because it was fine yesterday.
    The display issue with Chrome/IE should be fixed now. I found a number of other things last night that I was playing whack-a-mole with trying to fix.

As for the DNS issue, that makes no sense to me, since the URL you're using isn't even for the forums server, that's for a test system running Varnish as a cache proxy for testing. It's never been in the load balancer, and is not a part of any configuration...
    This space for rent.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    I can't figure out how to delete drafts (without actually posting). If I'm on the drafts page, and I mouse-over the draft I want to delete, I see a close button (x) appear, but it's not in the draft text box; it's floating way down the page (on the right side, roughly aligned horizontally with "Latest Posts").

If I try to move the mouse to click on it, naturally the draft loses focus, and the close button disappears.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
    I can't figure out how to delete drafts (without actually posting). If I'm on the drafts page, and I mouse-over the draft I want to delete, I see a close button (x) appear, but it's not in the draft text box; it's floating way down the page (on the right side, roughly aligned horizontally with "Latest Posts").

If I try to move the mouse to click on it, naturally the draft loses focus, and the close button disappears.

This should be fixed now. I've been running across a number of things similar to this where the control elements are ending up at the bottom of the page.
    This space for rent.
    Foxworth wrote: »
    The display issue with Chrome/IE should be fixed now. I found a number of other things last night that I was playing whack-a-mole with trying to fix.

As for the DNS issue, that makes no sense to me, since the URL you're using isn't even for the forums server, that's for a test system running Varnish as a cache proxy for testing. It's never been in the load balancer, and is not a part of any configuration...

Well, it seems to be fixed now, whatever happened. Very weird though.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    omegabyte wrote: »

Very strange indeed. No clue how you ended up there.
    This space for rent.
    edited February 2015

I assume it was some sort of sciencey magic type thing.

And hey, there's another bug! embedded quotes dont work.
    Yeah, Vanilla's code that renders quotes looks like it can only handle non-nested quotes. I'll see if I can tweak the code for that to allow nested quotes.
    This space for rent.

I assume it was some sort of sciencey magic type thing.

And hey, there's another bug! embedded quotes dont work.

aaaand nested quotes should be working now.
    This space for rent.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    When I click on the "Discuss" links for the latest RPG Backtrack and ATB episodes, they don't lead to the threads anymore. The "Discuss" link still works for the current RPGCast episode though.
    Victar wrote: »
    When I click on the "Discuss" links for the latest RPG Backtrack and ATB episodes, they don't lead to the threads anymore. The "Discuss" link still works for the current RPGCast episode though.
    I've updated the redirects from the old forum, these should be redirecting properly now.
    This space for rent.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Is there a time limit to being able to edit posts now? I know I was able to do it before, but I can't edit posts I made this morning now.
    smacd wrote: »
    Is there a time limit to being able to edit posts now? I know I was able to do it before, but I can't edit posts I made this morning now.

There was a 4hr time limit on editing, this has been extended out to 1mo.

This space for rent.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    What's the secret to uploading pics for the 'user banner'? It seems to show a 'broken' image no matter how I try to upload it.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members

Not sure if there is any way around this or not, but the 1 month limit on editing posts causes some issues for myself and FrozenBabylon (though he may have a workaround) when trying to update year long threads like the Fantasy Gaming Pool or Completed Games thread. Any thoughts on how to handle that?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Black Mage Idol Administrators
    edited February 2015
    redwing42 wrote: »

Not sure if there is any way around this or not, but the 1 month limit on editing posts causes some issues for myself and FrozenBabylon (though he may have a workaround) when trying to update year long threads like the Fantasy Gaming Pool or Completed Games thread. Any thoughts on how to handle that?
    I should have realized that one when deciding the time limit. It's been changed so that it's always possible to edit a post.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

JCServant wrote: »
    What's the secret to uploading pics for the 'user banner'? It seems to show a 'broken' image no matter how I try to upload it.

How big is the file you're trying to upload? And if need be, can you email me a copy of it so I can do some tests?
    This space for rent.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    redwing42 wrote: »

I should have realized that one when deciding the time limit. It's been changed so that it's always possible to edit a post.

Thanks for the quick response!
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    JCServant wrote: »

How big is the file you're trying to upload? And if need be, can you email me a copy of it so I can do some tests?
    Hmmm...strike that...I logged on this morning, and the proper file is uploaded and showing. Odd, but I'm a happy camper. Thanks!!

• MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    Not a fan of the user information being displayed along the top of the user's post as opposed to along the left side. It looks ugly the way it is now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    I'm getting the same bug I did in the old forums that's specific to rpgamer's boards. The board periodically eats portions of my posts and replaces "some" of the text with a garbled code and the rpgamer web address. It's problematic for a lot reasons, but I'll repeatedly attempt to edit it to remove the random garbled stuff and have similar issues. If the board eats a large enough chunk of text, it can be difficult to recall what I'd written before unless I keep the whole post on my clipboard for however long it takes to get the post to show up with the garbled text.

Problem seems specific to Chrome, or at least, I was able to edit a post without garbling in Internet Explorer.