If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 338: "Ephemeral"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited February 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 338: "Ephemeral

What is two becomes three. What is three becomes four. Then Manny shows up and we talk about the Witcher and he depresses us all about mobile gaming.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/338

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Ephemeral
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    With regards to the good memory complement, at least some of it is down to being able to Google stuff very quickly :P
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Some day human memory will be replaced by google searches
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Lol. Now that I think of it, I guess divinity original sin was probably my favorite game of 2015. Xillia 2 was about the only thing I could think of at the moment.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Ouch, Crimson Gem Saga slam! I actually enjoyed that RPG. But it's only fun if you buy a certain equipment item (boots that let you run really fast and avoid or ambush enemy encounters) as early as possible, and you probably won't get it early without a FAQ. Without that item, the game's battles get too tedious.

OK, selling Manny on the 3DS. What I love about the 3DS is its convenience and portability, enabling me to play games in situations that I normally wouldn't.

Here are just some of the places/situations I have played my 3DS:

- At the gym on the exercycle, 3-6 times a week
    - Waiting at the doctor/dentist office
    - While donating blood (simple games are doable with only one hand)
    - Waiting for my roommate to get ready for a shopping trip
    - Waiting in the car for my roommate to finish an errand
    - Lounging in my bed or on the couch, in just about any position I feel like

In all of these cases, interrupting my game was as simple as closing the 3DS clamshell and putting it in my pocket. I could open the 3DS and continue whenever. A great many 3DS games also have quicksave or save-anywhere features.

I love the 3DS eshop and have played lots of cheap, simple games on it, especially Jewel Quest and match-3 casual games, the kind that are good for killing time anywhere. I've been a little frustrated by bugs lately, but Grinsia was the worst case I encountered, and they did patch it eventually. Citizens of Earth is the second worst and the developers claim they're working on a 3DS patch. I have yet to encounter a situation as bad as the broken Square-Enix mobile game you folks mentioned (which game was it?)

Another strong 3DS selling point is some of its best games. Paper Mario Sticker Star was what persuaded me to get the system, and despite its shortcomings I'm not sorry I did. Mario & Luigi Dream Team was an even better game. Professor Layton Miracle Mask and Professor Layton Azran Legacy did not disappoint; I especially love the daily puzzles.

Oh, and the backlighting is real nice too. I upgraded from an original DS with no backlighting and difference is tremendous.

If you want to be cheap, you can get one of the old 3DS models instead of the New 3DS (Nintendo, why did you name it that)? At this point in time, the New 3DS is required only for a few games, notably Smash Bros.

I don't own a Vita. However, I understand it doesn't have the clamshell design. So if you carry it in your pocket you need some kind of case to protect it, I guess. I think Phil is a Vita fan; maybe he can sell you on it.

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2015
    Huh? New 3DS isn't required for Smash Bros. The only game it's required required for is Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, though you'll want it or a Circle Pad Pro for Monster Hunter.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Sorry, I stand corrected. One less reason to buy a New 3DS, I suppose. I tried to find a price for the New 3DS on Amazon, but the listing I found was barraged with one-star reviews from people who were angry about New 3DS scalpers.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    Amazon itself doesn't sell Nintendo hardware because of a long, stupid conflict between the two companies, so you're best served to find a New 3DS at a gaming or electronics store.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Is that an American thing? Not been an issue here for at least the last couple of years.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Just a US thing. Heck, Amazon Canada sells them.

And although you can play Smash 3DS on the original, it's... sub-optimal. It takes 30-40 seconds for the initial load and t quit the game, and you can't do anything with it while the game's running.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    "Kin" usually denotes a family or clan relationship, so I'm guessing "Kinsect" is meant as a pun.

I've been playing Pokémon Shuffle this week. Although I haven't gotten as far as I've avoided spending the gems & coins, but went back to collect the Pokémon I missed once I got a stronger team.

I haven't had a problem with the 30 min wait, but I'm following Chris' tactic of swapping between several free to play games (and other distractions).
    Mind you, I seem to take ages playing the main stages, because I like to think ahead/etc. Being able to swap anywhere means it avoids the lack of control you often get in other match-3 games, but it also slows down play a lot.

- Level ups do increase their attack power slightly.

- The "Optimise" option is useful, but it does ignore their abilities and will still happily select a Mega Pokémon (over a super-effective one) in a 5 moves match.

- Expert (EX) stages are unlocked by getting S Ranks on the Main Stages. For the first half it's 5 * S Ranks per EX stage, but apparently more are needed towards the end.

I still maintain that Infinite Space is only Rock-Paper-Scissors until you get the Fighters, and then it's just a case of have more Fighters than their Anti-aircraft can withstand.
    (But Chris didn't seem to get that far.)
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    Manny, I'm one of those that thinks you're crazy for not owning a current gen handheld, but I guess it depends on your current level of enthusiasm for JRPGs, especially on the 3DS.

To start, there's Monster Hunter 4, which you can play with a proper control scheme. I know the implementation of touch screen controls for the iOS version of MH Freedom Unite was surprisingly good, but touch controls just can't match physical buttons for this type of game. And based on the reviews, MH4 seems to be the best entry in the series to date, at least to the market outside of Japan.

I know you've repeatedly brought up SMT: Nocturne in the past as one of your all-time favorites, so I would have thought that SMT IV would be up your alley. Its story structure and setup is a bit different, but it's still a similar game and IMO a worthy follow-up. I'm most interested in hearing if this game would be a selling point to you.

And while I get the feeling you're not much of a Persona fan, Persona Q is a great dungeon-crawler.

These three games alone would have sold me on getting a 3DS if I didn't already have one. That's hundreds of hours of quality gameplay.

In addition, you've got access to other SMT games . . . the updated version of Soul Hackers (which is fantastic) and the ports of the Devil Survivor games.

I'm not really a fan of Bravely Default, but it was well received by most fans of classic JRPGs (and if you like it, there's a sequel on the way). Other worthwhile games include Fire Emblem Awakening, Fantasy Life, the new Etrian Odyssey games, and Tales of the Abyss.

Anyway, I see the 3DS as an essential piece of gaming hardware. If you can afford it and are interested in some of the above games (3 is usually the number of must-have games that I require before buying a console), I see no reason for mobile platforms to be more attractive. It's not even close for me. The Vita has a number of great games as well (though most of them are pretty niche, so I can give you a pass for not wanting one).

TLDR: 3DS is absolutely worth getting provided you're interested in JRPGs.

Great 3DS games: Monster Hunter 4, SMT IV, Persona Q, Fire Emblem Awakening, Fantasy life, Etrian Odyssey 4 (& 5 when it invevitably gets localized).
    Great 3DS ports: Soul Hackers (this is a must play IMO), Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Etrian Odyssey (hugely revamped version of an already excellent game), Tales of the Abyss.