If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 339: "Drive-By Manny"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited March 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 339: "Drive-By Manny"

I don't remember what happened this morning. There some sort of code that I type wrong. I think FFXI gets new content and then I get confused. Oh right, the Marth Amiibo is gonna be in stock again.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/339

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Drive-By Manny"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    Manny, you brushed off Chris' comment as a "dig" at the XBox One. Maybe he intended it as a dig, but it seemed like a pretty fair follow-up to your point about only buying a system that has legs to it. I'd have been interested to hear an actual response from you.
    Putting aside brand loyalty and any deals you got on the system (I think I remember you got a pretty good deal when you bought it), I can't imagine many people thinking that this XBox has a better long term outlook than the PS4 . . . particularly concerning RPGs. To me, it seems considerably worse, with the additional problem of it being the less powerful console.

I have no plan to get either console. I prefer gaming on my PC where I can get most of the big AAA console releases in addition to plenty of games that wouldn't work without mouse/keyboard controls and the best selection of indie titles. You pay more for the hardware, but the software is usually priced lower even before you get to the Steam/GOG deals. If you're willing to wait for those deals, you can end up accumulating a huge library of quality games for very little money. Even the JRPG scene on the PC has been improving in recent years.

BTW, I'm the one that made the comment about needing to see 3 games I want to play before buying a system, and I'll add that if I don't see a future for the system beyond those 3 games, I'd be reluctant to buy it. The Vita was a safe buy for me beyond the 3 games I wanted to play (Persona 4 Golden, Disgaea 3, and Dragon's Crown) because of the indie scene and the continuing deluge of JRPGs the system has been receiving.

Anyway, I hope to hear you back on the podcast more often. I appreciate your more laid-back approach to gaming, even if I don't always agree with it.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited March 2015
    Well it came off as a dig mainly cause Phil immediately laughed at the comment. But that's beside the point.

I think the thing the one thing that people need to remember that will help them understand a lot of my gaming decisions is that for the most part I don't care about JRPGs in the least, with the occasional exception of course.

I know this an RPG focused site but RPGs are just one facet of what I'm interested when it comes to gaming, and often it's not even the most important.

Next time I'm on the podcast I'll explain in detail why I picked the " worse system where none of my friends are" over the PS4 and have never been happier

Also, Mac user with a super old machine. So my desktop gaming prospects won't be improving anytime soon.

Thanks for the feedback and I'll try to poke my head in more often.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    or we could avoid a long pointless meandering console wank. Just a thought.

I don't like the way any discussion of the decision to buy one console over the other is taboo as if we're discussing the merits of various religions. Regardless of what some comments threads turn into, I think the podcast could handle a little bit of discussion on the subject.

I don't need Manny to detail his reasons for picking the XBox One on a future podcast. I was just disappointed that he didn't respond to what seemed like a legitimate point and the subject got dropped because the podcast was headed into "dangerous" territory.
    risingsun wrote: »
    Next time I'm on the podcast I'll explain in detail why I picked the " worse system where none of my friends are" over the PS4 and have never been happier

It's the "less powerful" system. I don't think that makes it the "worse system". What games are you waiting for that give the console good legs from your perspective? That's mainly what I wanted to hear, but the subject got dropped. Everyone has their reasons for purchasing something as expensive as a gaming system, and I think those reasons can be discussed rationally without devolving into "console wars".
  • ChaosDroneChaosDrone New Member Full Members
    I'm with Fowl Sorcerous on this one. Gaming is one of the few hobbies where people have the need to justify their purchases as if they are defending their moral beliefs. It's Manny's time and money. If he wanted a new system, he would have bought one already. Hearing about a new game or feature isn't likely to change his mind.
    edited March 2015
    It never even occurred to me that it was a "taboo" topic.

Also, the quotes were a joke, but in all seriousness discussing how you feel about various topics is the point of podcasts. Whether you are talking about your fav coffee bar or handheld system. As along as it's interesting who cares.

It's not even justification really if you are just discussing your presences in a judgement free zone.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I actually think that'd be a really fun conversation to have, Manny...maybe provided we can stuff a sock in Chris' mouth long enough to have it. It'd definitely make a good feedback discussion, providing people can remain civil.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Phil, one thing you might want to try in tales of symphonia is your party set up. This may not apply, but if raine and genis(sp?) are both in your party, their spell casting will interrupt each other. Strange design, but if raine is about to heal you, and genis starts casting an attack spell the healing spell with not be used during that time. Same with Colette but I don't remember how her spells were.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The xbox does legs when it comes to the majority of big releases within the next 8 years.
  • ColtoColto New Member Full Members
    This may be quite off-topic here, but there is something I need to vent about in hopes that some of you will feel the same and I can not feel like I'm the only one that feels this way! My comment is that handhelds seem to be the perfect platform for the RPG, but more specifically, ports of previous gen RPGS. I know it happens occasionally with the advent of the digital shop, but I don't understand why this isn't a more frequent thing. The company that could cash in on this big time would be Nintendo if they would just freaking put Earthbound on the 3ds!! How many people would pay to have this game on the 3ds that don't want to invest $200 in a cart or $300 on a Wii U to be able to enjoy this experience. I have never played Earthbound, but I desperately want to so badly! I just can't justify buying a Wii U or the cart......at least not yet. Your thoughts on all this?
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I also want to avoid console fanboyism of any kind. That doesn't mean we can't talk about consoles at all, or so I would hope.

I used to play "Indie Game" RPGs on a friend's Xbox 360. These were little download-only $1, $3, or $5 games, many of which were Xbox 360 exclusive at the time. Some of them have since appeared on the PC as well. Very few of them were notable enough to earn coverage on this site, like Aphelion Episodes 1 & 2 did. Some of them were quite fun (I have fond memories of Aphelion), and some of them were terrible. A new little RPG would typically show up every few weeks.

The worst Xbox 360 Indie RPG I ever tried was "A Pimp RPG". I am not making that title up. It is every bit as bad as it sounds. No, worse.

My questions for Manny, or anyone else who wants to answer it, is: Does the Xbox One have a vast medley of exclusive, downloadable Indie RPGs for $1-$5 like its predecessor did? Are they still coming out at a fast clip?

@victar - If you want those kinds of experiences your best bet at this point is iOS, Android, and Steam/HB/Desura. Thankfully, those 3 platforms encompasses a wide range of people especially since many of those indie steam games work on Mac and Linux as well.