If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 2: "Sonic Boom" - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Fresh off the pilot episode, Q&A Quest is back to discuss how to make a good Sonic RPG. We also examine Idea Factory's recent uptick in quality.

Episode 2: "Sonic Boom" - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    have to agree that the game systems of compile heart/Idea Factory games seems to be getting better, while the general feel of the games stays very much the same. I'm lucky enough to enjoy the humour and silliness for the most part when it comes to the neptunia games, but I'm still not sure about many of their other releases. But Re;Birth1 was the first platinum I ever got and I really like the battle system.

My idea for a good Sonic RPG involves a Star Ocean PSP 1 and 2 battle system. Make sonic run fast around the battlefield, bouncing from enemy to enemy, knuckles could punch things into oblivion, Amy could be some kind of special attacker, Tails can be a support/heals, and so on. I think that could capture the spirit of Sonic way better than that Dark Brotherhood uh, game.

DISGAEA ETRIAN! Two questions combined!

I'm fairly certain people are going to get tired of my questions, but my brain wants to know things and I can't stop it!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I was shocked to hear so much negativity directed upon Sonic Chronicles. Apparently the long length of its battles, as cited in Adriaan's RPGamer review, is its fatal flaw. I conclude that a hypothetical Sonic turn-based strategy RPG would be the ultimate self-contradictory planterary aligment, manifesting the worst game of all time.

So, my question is: what is it about turn-based strategy RPGs that makes the long length of their battles a non-issue for people who like them? As a gamer who has tried and failed a dozen times to enjoy different turn-based strategy RPGs, I'm genuinely curious.
  • BEAT_TEH_SKELTONBEAT_TEH_SKELTON SKELETON KING SKELETON HELLFull Members
    OH HEY I'M THE GUEST TALKMAN. THAT'S ME.

I UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE THINK A SONIC RPG WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. IT'S A SERIES WITH A BUNCH OF COLORFUL GOOFY CHARACTERS THAT WORK TOGETHER AND THERE ARE 7 MAGICAL THINGS THAT A BAD GUY WANTS TO STEAL AND THEY'VE EVEN HAD A FEW PRINCESSES AND DEAD CIVILIZATIONS THROWN IN FOR GOOD MEASURE.

THAT SAID THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE GOOD SONIC GAMES GOOD IS HIGH-SPEED PLATFORMING AND LEVELS THAT ARE FUN TO RUSH THROUGH AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. THERE'S NOT REALLY ROOM FOR ANY LEVELING OR GRINDING OR WHATEVER IN THERE.

ALSO SONIC CHRONICLES THE DARK BROTHERHOOD IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH 06 AS FAR AS WORST GAMES EVER GO. SO THERE'S THAT.
    LOUD SKELETON WHAT SHOUTS ALL THE TIME.
    VOTED THIRD BEST SKELETON ON TWITTER BY CONCERNED PARENTS.
    I hated the special moves needing to be touch screened. If you failed you not only did nothing, you were out the points the attack costed. It grew to be very frustrating very quickly.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    The Mario & Luigi RPG series is like that too, but it's remained fairly popular. Its battles are usually quick, though, and it certainly doesn't take 30 seconds to run from combat like Sonic Chronicles allegedly does.
    Mario and Luigi RPGs usually just give bonuses for hitting the characters' buttons at the right time. Like doing more damage or taking less. which is great if you're like my girlfriend who just can't time things well enough. It's the difference between being able to get through the game and not for some people.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    OH HEY I'M THE GUEST TALKMAN. THAT'S ME.

I UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE THINK A SONIC RPG WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. IT'S A SERIES WITH A BUNCH OF COLORFUL GOOFY CHARACTERS THAT WORK TOGETHER AND THERE ARE 7 MAGICAL THINGS THAT A BAD GUY WANTS TO STEAL AND THEY'VE EVEN HAD A FEW PRINCESSES AND DEAD CIVILIZATIONS THROWN IN FOR GOOD MEASURE.

THAT SAID THE THINGS THAT MAKE THE GOOD SONIC GAMES GOOD IS HIGH-SPEED PLATFORMING AND LEVELS THAT ARE FUN TO RUSH THROUGH AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. THERE'S NOT REALLY ROOM FOR ANY LEVELING OR GRINDING OR WHATEVER IN THERE.

ALSO SONIC CHRONICLES THE DARK BROTHERHOOD IS RIGHT UP THERE WITH 06 AS FAR AS WORST GAMES EVER GO. SO THERE'S THAT.

Well a Sonic RPG doesn't have to match exactly the platforming experience.

For example the Mario RPGs certainly contain platforming, but not at the level of the series proper. It just has to have a flavor of the main series, which is why fanboy's idea of Sonic as an Ys style RPG is actually pretty awesome. Or you know, just give it to Nintendo and make Paper Sonic. I'd be all for that.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif