If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 139: Soultaker

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
In 2009 Atlus took a risk by ordering the largest print run for a game in its history, but that gamble paid off handsomely. Corpses litter the world of Demon's Souls, and talking about that grim but unforgettable place is today's topic.
Darn flying manta rays...
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Oooo, can't wait to listen to this later tonight.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited April 2015
    World tendency in demons never made sense to me. I read up on it and figured how you could get what you wanted. Still never liked that part of the mechanics. Souls games are awesome though.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    This actually clarified something I was confused about with Souls games. I'd hear, in the same breath, that they're awesome and some of the best... but also incredibly difficult, where you die a lot. This felt confusing, like I was missing something, but it sounds like it builds dying into it. That's interesting game design. I might have to get Dark Souls or Dark Souls II for PC, sometime, then. Or Demon Souls, if I get a PS3 like me and the missus have discussed. Any suggestions for a Souls game to jump in with?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Texside wrote: »
    This actually clarified something I was confused about with Souls games. I'd hear, in the same breath, that they're awesome and some of the best... but also incredibly difficult, where you die a lot. This felt confusing, like I was missing something, but it sounds like it builds dying into it. That's interesting game design. I might have to get Dark Souls or Dark Souls II for PC, sometime, then. Or Demon Souls, if I get a PS3 like me and the missus have discussed. Any suggestions for a Souls game to jump in with?

I'd start with Dark Souls. It's the least frustrating to die in since it doesn't have any real penalty unlike Souls 2 and Demons and it has a more compact world. Demons Souls has some super frustrating areas as well despite the good stuff, and given it also doesn't have a nice refilling supply of healing items it can be especially frustrating to a new player (it's also the lesser of the three titles).
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    I'd start with Dark Souls. It's the least frustrating to die in since it doesn't have any real penalty unlike Souls 2 and Demons and it has a more compact world. Demons Souls has some super frustrating areas as well despite the good stuff, and given it also doesn't have a nice refilling supply of healing items it can be especially frustrating to a new player (it's also the lesser of the three titles).

Definitely good to know! And a little cheaper, too.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Well I have to say that you did a great job a selling the game, now I want to play!!!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif