If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fan-titlement - Active Topical Banter

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
The Banter panel unpacks special pleading, ignorance and self-centred behaviour in the fandom. All while hoping for a brighter future for comment sections.

Listen
Archive
Subscribe
iTunes(subvert the review system)

Talking Points from the Episode
-Dichotomy of what gets fans upset and the increasing anti-consumer behaviour of Publisher Controlled devs.
-Failure to understand business practice
-Understanding it’s okay for something to exist that doesn’t appeal to them
-Special pleading
-Consumer as custodian
-This isn’t a thing yet, but here’s my online petition to make it better
-Fluid material
-Op rainfall/moonfall/hotblood
-Things i like a perfect and successful and myopic ideas
-Shouting at the Press

Next Time: Mainstreaming the JRPG

Comments

• TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Hopefully it's cool to reply here rather than the outtakes thread! If not, sincerest apologies.

I've noticed the entitlement thing, as well, especially in regards to people not understanding business practice and making wildly inaccurate claims about businesses. I've noticed this on Kickstarter, too; I'm a little torn as to how much entitlement is okay with Kickstarter, however, which I don't recall y'all touching on a lot. (I'm commenting a few days late, so I may have memory lapses.)

On the one hand, people have a clearer monetary link that gives them an interest in the project. On the other, there is often an attitude that the developers owe backers absolute transparency and involvement in decisions; this is, suffice to say, not a realistic relationship between consumers and producers (or, if it were the case, investors and producers). I'm not sure where the line falls here; there is more obligation than potential consumers making petitions on Change.org, but it certainly isn't at a Kickstarter level.

Also, I feel like the internet and the world would be a happier place if other people could accept some things don't appeal to everyone, but it's good it's there. I liked when y'all touched on that point.

Finally: when I had a friend visiting me earlier in the year, there was an Amiibo release. He woke up at ungodly o'clock on Sunday and shuffled to a Target in a strange city, and came back with one. I asked him: "Is that one of your favorite characters or something?"

In a super sleepy, been up way too long voice, he tells me: "Nah, man, I never played this one's game. They're just... rare, you know? Gotta get it while you can."

You're not alone, Mac.