If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 344: "Vana'diel Disease"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 344: "Vana'diel Disease"

Chris gets 100 fisted by a tarutaru. Alice finds a new pastime in countryside lifepod touring. Anna Marie pushes things to the limit. And Alex goes back in time to recover the dinosaurs needed to satisfy the alien soccer players' demands and save the world from mechanical teddy bears.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/344

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Vana'diel Disease"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited April 2015
    Errr okay bravely default has hit the point where I don't like it anymore.

I think one of the things I felt was going to save this game for me was I didn't care about the story but I thought the battle system was fun enough. I would have these nice boss battles that would be fought tooth and nail with strategy developing on the fly. Except in the end the boss battles change too. They become: go into it, die a few times to it, then set up your party after seeing what attacks need to be nulled. It loses all of the intensity. Now it's just about finding a way to spam attack the boss quicker than it can you. Disappointing. Should have got fire emblem like Anna said, but I had already bought it by then.

Though, in the end it's about the journey I guess. I had a lot of fun with it for about 30 something hours. It's just one of those things where something so bad can go wrong it taints the whole experience a little.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    I kinda felt like Bravely Default was a sad case. The game became more about what could have been -- if the back half of the game was better! if the bosses were less annoying! -- than what it was. I'm hopeful for the sequel, still, because there's a lot right they could do.

Also, fun episode! I'm not sure what to make of the time-traveling dinosaurs, either.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I just finished Magical Starsign, an RPG made by the Mother 3 team. The lineage shows. I don't normally expect the story of an E-rated game to incorporate issues such as genocide and suicidal depression. It's a very good game, just far more serious than the cutesy cover art suggests.

Now I wish Magical Vacation could be released in the USA, but I don't have my hopes up about the odds.

My questions for the next RPG Cast: are any of you North American WoW players using the new in-game token system, for either gold or gametime? What do you think of it?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited April 2015
    Don't forget about the Gummy Girl boss *shivers* I'm still surprised that Magical Starsign didn't get an E 10+, as that rating had come out the year before the game did. Regardless, I would definitely love, if not a localization or remake of Magical Vacation, at least a new game in the series. It's a shame that the IP hasn't been touched in a long while.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2015
    Don't forget about the Gummy Girl boss *shivers* I'm still surprised that Magical Starsign didn't get an E 10+, as that rating had come out the year before the game did. Regardless, I would definitely love, if not a localization or remake of Magical Vacation, at least a new game in the series. It's a shame that the IP hasn't been touched in a long while.

OMG YOU HAD TO REMIND ME OF GUMMY GIRL. *cries in a corner because nightmares*

I'm with you both though -- I adored Magical Starsign and it's one of those games where the box art isn't the most attractive, but the game inside it utterly fantastic and very clever. I'm surprised there hasn't been any fantranslations for Magical Vacation? (MInd you, I haven't really looked). Not that I would recommend it, but it seems so unlikely that we'd see it in English considering how long ago that ship sailed.

Also Mocha. He was darling. :)

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Her name was Applepie... ;_;
  • TiggsPantherTiggsPanther New Member Full Members
    To expand a bit on my audio message:

With any new console there is the chicken/egg scenario. Gamers (expect early adopters) don't like buying a system without there being games for it, but developers don't want to make games for systems people don't have yet. Getting the gamers over that tipping point is always the tricky thing.

With the PS2, the ability to play your old PS1 games and also play DVDs meant that it had additional value out of the box, even before you had a huge PS2 library.

The PS3 brought Blu-ray playback and, initially, also allowed backwards compability. Similarly, the Xbox 360 could play old Xbox games. So that console generation had a good incentive for people to jump on, even for those still actively using previous consoles.

This generation is a bit of a harder sell.Both consoles play Blu-rays, but many people already have a Blu-ray player - especially if they already have a PS3. Many of the same streaming apps on the newer consoles exist on the older ones. And there is no backwards compatibility with either, so anyone still happily using a PS3 and/or Xbox 360 has less incentive to jump on early, until there is either a big enough back-catalogue or a game that is a personal "system seller".

Heck, for me I went for my 360 because I had bought my first HD TV and wanted an HD console to go with it. And there was enough gsmes out to be worthwhile. Similarly, I went PS3 when I needed a second Blu-ray player and wanted access to the JRPGs that hadn't made it to the 360.
    In each case, it was a combination of "back catalogue" and "technological upgrade". And for me, right now, the new consoles have neither.

The problem for a developer lies in knowing when to go new-gen-only, and for what games. Do you want to remain locked to an older platform or do you want to risk jumping forward before your fanbase is ready to? And that is going to vary from company to company, and maybe even from game to game. Some games will drag their fans forward but some probably won't.

This is where dual-generation games may well pay off in the longer term, albeit with some short term risk. (After all, it does give people reason to hang onto their current consoles a little bit longer.)
    On the other hand, it allows the older gen owners to help boost lsales of a specific game at the same time as expencing the catalogue on the newer consoles faster. And if they develop games with cross-save, even if you need to buy a second copy when you replace your console, you can rebuy a game and carry on the same with your old saves. Similarly, those games someone passed over on PS3 may end up being a PS4 pickup.

And in Japan, where gaming on-the-go is a much bigger thing, getting people to swap that PS3 for a PS4 is likely to be an even harder sell in the short term.