If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 140: Is It Really That Bad?

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Usually we talk about games that have some kind of following behind them, but the topic is a little different this time. This is a show dedicated to RPGs that reviewed badly at the time, and haven't received any kind of consensus reappraisal over the years. Still, reliving the misery produced a lot of strong feelings.
Be prepared.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited April 2015
    I've doing a literal backtrack. I think there is another listener doing the same, but I've been listening to the shows in reverse order. About to start the infamous disgea episode. Well the eterian oddessey episode was pretty long and I enjoyed it a lot!

(I haven't listened to this episode yet since it's brand new, but about to)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Oh the Disgaea episode. Good luck to you sir!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Really enjoying the episode so far (just finished the discussion about the first game). Don't know why, I like it when people talk about bad games, it's always funny.

Quick note though: During the introduction, the background music was pretty loud, and I could not hear the reason why this episode is nothing but bad games.

Regarding backtracking the Backtrack... I've somewhat done this last year, although I skipped a few episodes here and there. Great fun overall!
  • TheMaddnessTheMaddness Inmate Full Members
    AIDYN CHRONICLES DID NOT EXIST! There Is no Such game on the N64, And Certainly not one that I rented years ago only to play it for 20 minutes before immediately returning it for being a horrifying abomination that haunts my nightmares to this day.
    Certainly, no such thing has ever existed. And certainly if it did, it would not have multiple 10/10 reviews on Gamefaqs.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Aidyn Chronicles is one of the RPGs in my backlog. So is Hybrid Heaven, another little-known N64 RPG. I'm hoping that one day RPG Backtrack will spend more time on both of them.

The RPG that crushed my soul was the original Wizardry, on the NES. Ambushing ninjas that decapitated my heroes, PERMANENTLY killing them, caused so much suffering that I started naming my heroes "111111", "22222", etc. just so I wouldn't get too emotionally attached. After hours of level grinding a party on floor 4, just to watch the die to ninjas again, my despair was complete.

I played Beyond the Beyond shortly afterward. Compared to a Wizardry, Beyond the Beyond was an experience of joy and wonder. Yes, the random battles were excruciating, doubly so in the class-change dungeon with invisible holes that forced endless backtracks through random battle infested wasteland (I'm surprised no one raged about that) but...

Well, Beyond the Beyond is a bad game and no one should play it and I will always love it.

I didn't play Quest 64 for very long, but according to the strategy guide I read, Earth is vastly superior element, to the point of being unbalanced.

It's good to know I made the right call when I got rid of my copy of Ephemeral Fantasia long ago.

I had never heard of Secret of the Stars before it was reviewed on this site. It looks exactly like the kind of game I would buy if not for your advice, so thank you RPG Backtrack, for saving me $50.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    This was fun. Like another commenter mentioned up above, I had trouble hearing the start of the show; the music was loud enough to mostly cover up Mike and make Phil hard to hear. But, it was a great episode and a lot of fun!

I mercifully missed a lot of these. I do remember an old issue of Nintendo Power, promising me that Tecmo's Secret of the Stars was innovative and wonderful. It accompanied its filthy lies with screenshots, which revealed the truth and also taught an impressionable young me about the concept of cognitive dissonance! Let's go back into the past.

Me: "Gee willickers, Mr. Peabody! Why does the text of this article say that this game is interesting and has a great story about two generations of heroes, but the pictures look like crap? I'm confused!"
    Mr. Peabody: "I AM A SERIOUSLY TERRIFYING FIGMENT OF YOUR IMAGINATION AND RESENT BEING USED TO HELP VISUALIZE YOUR MEMORIES."
    Me: "Thanks, jerk."

This episode did leave me thinking, though: why do people like bad games? I'm not speaking of cases where we don't want to admit a game is bad, but those times when we pick up a game that we know kind of sucks... and for some reason like the game anyways?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I pity every single person involved in the planning and execution of this show. The only thing that I think was missing is Time and Eternity, but that's less than two years old in NA, so...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote: »
    I pity every single person involved in the planning and execution of this show. The only thing that I think was missing is Time and Eternity, but that's less than two years old in NA, so...

*cries in the corner, traumatic memories*
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Shaymin wrote: »

To be paired up with Mugen Souls in a future episode I'd imagine
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2015
    oh hey...sorry, I've been busy this week... Yeah, that intro *is* bad...not sure why its so loud while everyone is talking. Thank you for the head's up. I still have the raw files, and should be able to get that fixed today.

Wow...so many good stories here to talk about at our next recording! I'm lookin' forward to it!! Thank you, guys! You're the best!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • MathiueMathiue New Member Full Members
    Just getting caught back up on my RPG Backtrack episodes (cant listen to headphones at my new job) and I am loving this, I just finished your take on Quest 64 yet no mention of Dark Spire yet? Anyways, I grew up on Final Fantasy I-2-3-MQ-Secret of Mana and Evermore and all I had was a measly N64, no PSX. Then I saw Quest 64....I was disappointed that it had no personality but it never made my eyes bleed or anything. In fact, I actually enjoyed it for the pile of crap it was. Not the same enjoyment from FF4-6 but it was all I had on my 64. Last year at a retro game show I picked up Quest 64 with the guide book for under 10$ so I can re live my hopeless experience vicariously through looking at the guide, nay shall I ever play this again but its nostalgia.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    I finally fixed that intro. Again, thank you guys so much for giving me the head's up there. And, now, RPGBacktrack 141 is up for YOUR listening pleasure... And, by no small coincidence, we discuss many of YOUR comments on the air!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!