If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Man in Japan - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
With Michael Baker joining us, Q&A Quest ditches its normal time constraints to binge on Japanese game talk. This leaves us with a good excuse to further weep over the lack of a Dragon Quest VII remake localization.

Man in Japan - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Isn't it weird that games can contain fanservice and fun gameplay? A game I like to look at that somehow does it well is Demon Gaze. Eye candy everywhere and for the most nonsense reasons. But the game was actually a fun dungeon crawler. Battles were super fast, collecting treasure was fun. The last boss kinda sucked, but other than that it was a lot of fun. All you need to be able to do is weather the odd, uh, pandering. I feel Neptunia is the same way, actually. At least with these remakes. It's easier for me to overlook some stuff if I like the characters (personality wise) and enjoy playing the game (battles and such). Still weirded out by games that involve rubbing the vita screen to do things to anime girls. Just, yeah.

    I really want to get a Japanese New 3DS and learn to read enough that I can play the DS and 3DS games I want. Finding motivation to start is hard though just by looking at how complicated the reading is.

    Final note, I told you you need more than a robe if you're going to get hit by those big guys' weapons. I haven't seen a good tank mage since Fire Emblem Path of Radiance RNG made Soren unkillable.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited April 2015
    Question-last jrpg you played with an excellent story.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I must bring the tragic news that Marvelous has officially canned Kaio: King of Pirates.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Not surprised, not surprised.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    I listened to this over the commute (to and from) today. I like Q&A Quest; it's a great way to do the mailbag. And that list of Japanese games... it made me wonder about a Japanese 3DS's cost. I did love Rocket Slime.

    And a pair of questions, for next time! I'm planning to get Monster Hunter 4 to celebrate the end of the semester. First: I only have my original 3DS, no giant screen and no silly name/control nub/extra CPU power. Is Monster Hunter 4 reasonably friendly for me? It'll be a bit -- if ever -- before I get a New 3DS?

    Secondly! For a brand new Monster Hunter player, who has never done a game in the series or a clone, what kind of weapons should I look into starting with?
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    texside, it's nice to see more questions! i really think of too many things to ask so we need people variety.

    Oh, is it just me or is their weird disconnects or something when mr Baker is talking sometimes? Or is it just me?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Thanks for the feedback and questions all! Will add everything to the master list of questions.
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Oh, is it just me or is their weird disconnects or something when mr Baker is talking sometimes? Or is it just me?

    Some sort of connection issue while recording I think. Someday Skype will work better. Maybe. OK probably not.
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Isn't it weird that games can contain fanservice and fun gameplay? A game I like to look at that somehow does it well is Demon Gaze. Eye candy everywhere and for the most nonsense reasons. But the game was actually a fun dungeon crawler. Battles were super fast, collecting treasure was fun. The last boss kinda sucked, but other than that it was a lot of fun. All you need to be able to do is weather the odd, uh, pandering. I feel Neptunia is the same way, actually. At least with these remakes. It's easier for me to overlook some stuff if I like the characters (personality wise) and enjoy playing the game (battles and such). Still weirded out by games that involve rubbing the vita screen to do things to anime girls. Just, yeah.

    It certainly is sad, there's some quality games that need no fanservice nonsense. But I guess that's what gets stuff to sell in the current Japanese market. I'll take it over games being overly violent for the sake of being overly violent any day though.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Texside wrote: »
    I listened to this over the commute (to and from) today. I like Q&A Quest; it's a great way to do the mailbag. And that list of Japanese games... it made me wonder about a Japanese 3DS's cost. I did love Rocket Slime.

    Hah, and there were even a couple of games I forgot about until a few hours after we recorded! Oh well, those two in particular are seriously cutesy games from Nippon Columbia that are obviously aimed at the elementary school girl market, so I doubt they'd be of much interest to the person who asked the original question.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Hah, and there were even a couple of games I forgot about until a few hours after we recorded! Oh well, those two in particular are seriously cutesy games from Nippon Columbia that are obviously aimed at the elementary school girl market, so I doubt they'd be of much interest to the person who asked the original question.

    Hahaha, probably. Still cool they're there, though! And those games can be really fun, if people more our age (I'm guessing here) aren't the intended audience.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Well for a start, Phil will be so proud of you, you did manage to do over 1 hour and a half on that one.

    That was a lot of fun listening to you!

    I was wondering what was the music at the beginning, it sounded like Final Fantasy Legend, but different at the same time.

    Man there a lot of interesting game in there, but the Langrisser one is still the one that I want the most!!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Ombres wrote: »
    Well for a start, Phil will be so proud of you, you did manage to do over 1 hour and a half on that one.

    That was a lot of fun listening to you!

    I was wondering what was the music at the beginning, it sounded like Final Fantasy Legend, but different at the same time.

    Man there a lot of interesting game in there, but the Langrisser one is still the one that I want the most!!

    Glad you enjoyed! That is from Final Fantasy Legend 2 (SaGa 2), just redone music for the DS version.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    That song is pretty much my childhood.

    Btw Play-asia had a sale on Legend of Legacy so I purchased it shortly after this was recorded.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Haha, prepare for some fun frustration! And remember, save before attempting to steal Gryphon eggs ;)
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    That song is pretty much my childhood.

    Yeah me too that why I did fell so nostalgic when I heard it... they did a good job with redone of the music.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.