If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 141: World in My Eyes

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Studio Ghibli's entrance into the gaming world ought to have been a time of rejoicing, but the reception Ni no Kuni received was not quite that enthusiastic. Here we examine why, and also hear about the DS Ni no Kuni that will probably never officially cross the Pacific.
Sure is pretty though.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• DarkLancerDarkLancer New Member Full Members
    Aw, now I wish we could have had the DS version. Pirate cat was the best though!

Any chance you'll talk about the first Studio Ghibli video game collaboration at some point, Jade Cocoon (and its sequel)? Interesting that it's also a monster breeding game.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    This was good times! I'd only seen a little bit of Ni No Kuni when my brother played it; it looked gorgeous and sounded beautiful, so seeing 15 minutes made me go "man, this must be great!" It was a surprise when I checked reviews and... not so much.

I'd love to get an English DS version, but I'd also love a pony.

I admit that I wouldn't mind an Idea Factory episode, either, just because it'd be funny. But after what you guys did an episode ago, maybe wait a bit before tearing off that bandaid.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    A translation project for Ni no Kuni DS is in progress. No idea whether it will ever finish though.
    Ni no Kuni Translation [ENG]
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Heheheeh..."I'd also love a pony" ROFL. good one, Texside! Great comments, guys. I do have Jade Cocoon...I wonder if anyone on staff has actually played it, though. Hmmm.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Depeche mode title! Anyhow, I enjoyed ni no kuni. I just had fun sending out my different monsters and leveling them up.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Ni No Kuni is in my backlog. I really shouldn't have paid $50 for it, since copies can be found for $20 or less now.

There was also a special collector's edition with book, a plush toy, extra in-game familiars and more. Filthy rich gamers can still get one for $444 on Amazon.

Abandoning an RPG at the final boss would drive me crazy. Is the difficulty spike for Ni No Kuni's final boss anywhere near as severe as the final boss spike that Phil described for Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey?
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2015
    It's a tough boss, but it's made tougher by coming in on the tail end of two other nasty boss encounters. You get some help for it, but it's a matter of staying alive long enough for that help to do useful stuff like revive party members. There will be lots of running involved.

Oh, and when we were discussing everything, I forgot to mention one of my favorite bits of puzzle from The Book. The most powerful spell in the game is listed with the rest in the Runes section, but there's a catch. Instead of the usual diagram, it's a connect-the-dots puzzle... with almost forty dots. There's a series of side-quests in the DS game that culminates in the quest-giver finally remembering the right order of numbers to connect together in order to get the proper rune's shape.