If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 5 - Cinco de Questo - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we reminisce about our first RPGs. We also discuss Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem.

Episode 5 - Cinco de Questo - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited May 2015
    Hello Q&A hosts,

Fun show to listen to while washing dishes! Great choice of intro music.

The discussing about Mystic Quest being used to learn how to read reminded me on how I mostly used Final Fantasy II and II (or IV and VI, depending how you want to look at it) to learn English (my first language is French). In retrospect, FFII/IV was probably not the best choice for that...

In your Monster Hunter clones discussions, you did not mention Freedom Wars for the Vita, which is unfortunate, as it's actually pretty good (though it kinda ends in a weird way).

I am hoping we get a release of God Eater 2 Rage Burst at some point, as I'm curious about it (and finding partners for the first game is probably pretty tough at this point).
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Black Mage Idol Administrators
    edited May 2015
    I didn't bring it up since the question/email was long enough already (sorry about that, heh), but I agree that a straight-forward crossover of SMT and FE would probably not have worked very well. Maybe if it featured mostly Fire Emblem characters with MegaTen demons, but I do think this melding of concepts is much more interesting.

The brief talk about how well certain old games have aged got me thinking. What games from the NES era and older (computer RPGs like Ultima and Might and Magic) would you say aged the best and the worst (comparatively speaking, of course)? What games maybe didn't age so well, but you still enjoy playing?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Wheels, the way you prounced it this episode is the right way. Good episode, I'm going to think of a question for a bit before posting one.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2015
    Hello Q&A hosts,

Fun show to listen to while washing dishes! Great choice of intro music.

The discussing about Mystic Quest being used to learn how to read reminded me on how I mostly used Final Fantasy II and II (or IV and VI, depending how you want to look at it) to learn English (my first language is French). In retrospect, FFII/IV was probably not the best choice for that...

In your Monster Hunter clones discussions, you did not mention Freedom Wars for the Vita, which is unfortunate, as it's actually pretty good (though it kinda ends in a weird way).

I am hoping we get a release of God Eater 2 Rage Burst at some point, as I'm curious about it (and finding partners for the first game is probably pretty tough at this point).

I can't believe I forgot to talk about Freedom Wars :( , I shall fix that next episode!
    The brief talk about how well certain old games have aged got me thinking. What games from the NES era and older (computer RPGs like Ultima and Might and Magic) would you say aged the best and the worst (comparatively speaking, of course)? What games maybe didn't age so well, but you still enjoy playing?

this could lead to a LONG discussion...
    sig.gif
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    If you're going to talk about it next episode anyway, I have a question about Freedom Wars:

How fun is it? What are some of the coolest things about the game? Is it necessary to play multiplayer to progress?

I own the game but haven't played it yet. I could use something different after I finish Neptunia Re;Birth2, so maybe Freedom Wars?

I think FExSMT would be pretty cool if it mixed 3rd person dungeon crawling with a party of 4 or whatever with the ocasional large scale FE type SRPG battle. The weapon and magic strengths and weaknesses factoring into chances to hit like Fire Emblem would be nice. Getting to use a large number of party members would be cool too. You could have the large scale battles include bad humans and demons, maybe to clear a military presence out of a dungeon area so you could explore it SMT style. I figure that would be a cool mix of the two series while also filling the void left by Suikoden's death. I really don't expect anything like that, but that would be my dream FExSMT.

I didn't realize how far behind in asking questions I have been getting. I hope you guys don't run out of them soon! :o
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited May 2015
    I can't say I'm surprised the Devil Survivor team is working on SMTxFE. I mean, Devil Survivor is Fire Emblem tactics (1 round skirmishes, strategic movement) with SMT demon parties and a modified Press Turn system.

Edit: Apologies for the pod-personing there, since you did mention it...

Actual question: Do you prefer games that put a premium on stats (Paper Mario, for instance) or hand them out like candy and scale the enemies appropriately (Disgaea)? Or does it not really matter because it's all percentage based?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hey, you guys forgot the previous Atlus collaboration, the one with the Etrian team joining up with the Gust DS Atelier team to make Nora's Studio. That one turned out nicely.

Also, the main page's rendering of this week's title is making me hungry. Mmmm... queso....
    Well we never got that in the West so easy to forget :P

That was a delicious typo....
    sig.gif
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited May 2015
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    If you're going to talk about it next episode anyway, I have a question about Freedom Wars:

How fun is it? What are some of the coolest things about the game? Is it necessary to play multiplayer to progress?

I'm not Wheels, but here's my 2-cents anyway:

Unless you're better than I am at videogames, multiplayer is pretty much required for some of the higher-level missions, and the post-game stuff is pretty much multiplayer only. Then again, I suck at most videogames, so your mileage may vary.

Overall, it's a great game and I love it. I spent most of my weekend playing it, even though I beat the main game a few months ago.

• PhilFancypantsPhilFancypants New Member Full Members
    i really have been enjoying this show, keep it coming!
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Great show. I agree about FExSMT; I like the idea and think it'll make a much more satisfying experience than your average crossover game. I liked Project X Zone, but it felt kinda like candy rather than a satisfying meal. And I agree, regarding Etrian Odyssey: it could bite them down the line. Hopefully they lay off a bit.

Here's a couple questions for next time!

First: what do you think of the new things they're introducing for the next Fire Emblem, like the route splits as DLC and the (gasp! scandal!) weapons that don't have a durability limit!?

Second: do you think different types of RPGs lend themselves to different types of villains? For instance, at least with a cursory glance, it feels like tactical RPGs tend to have war stories with more down to Earth villains and turn-based JRPGs have more destroy-the-world, mwahaha villains. Is this illusory or is there something going on here?
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Wheels, my last question in last weeks thread probably got asked around recording time. You don't have to answer it but it's still there. Now my question of this week is, do you prefer games with lower hit point totals like dragon quest and d&d based games. Or do you like higher totals like say final fantasy. I know on the surface it would seem like it's all about relatively, but spells in dragon quest stay useful for the whole game because the hp totals never get so high they can't do some help.
    That question should be sitting in the backlog, but I will double check and make sure
    sig.gif