If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 348: "You Know, That Funny Thing I Said"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 348: "You Know, That Funny Thing I Said"

Chris has to resist the lure of the bratwurst to record a show. Anna Marie has to match 3. Alice has to deliver missiles...wait...she didn't deliver any missiles. Well she has your giant robot video game playing guide for you instead.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/348

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "You Know, That Funny Thing I Said"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I predict that the Bethesda conference will not have actual gameplay, lest something crash. Then again, I suppose that could apply to every waste of ti... er, conference.

In general, I expect to hear a lot about next year's games, and that I will be tearing my hair out keeping up with the Nintendo coverage.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2015
    That's a review so don't blame me for extra 'u's in that one :P RPGamer staff have always had the right to use whatever local spelling conventions they wish, just as long as its consistent within the article (at least while I've been here) :) The only forced Americanism is that companies are referred to in the singular. I will always insist on the Oxford comma whenever I proof stuff though ^^

edit - "always" is a tad wrong :)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    For many years American spelling was enforced. I caused a huge hubbub spelling "Hallowe'en" in one of my columns back in the day :P
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Grandia 2 can be a little tricky if the player doesn't utilize its battle and powerup systems to their full potential, but I don't understand how Alice had trouble with it, given her interest in tactical robot war games. Those are surely anywhere from 2-5 times more complicated. If she tried Grandia 2 again I expect she would find it easy.

Whether she'd find it fun or worth her time is something I can't evaluate, but Grandia 2 is fondly remembered among its fans (including me). It's Grandia 3 that is notorious for being dragged down by a nonsensical story.

Now that I've tried Puzzle & Dragons & Mario, I would say that a new player to the series should probably start with the P&D Z game first, not the Mario game.

P&D Z has an RPG story, and allegedly a much smoother difficulty curve. The Mario game has no story, a jagged difficulty curve (world 3 can potentially be a brick wall), required grinding (whether for levels, power-up items, or one-ups), and if the player doesn't consult a FAQ or a message board then they won't know about the most efficient way to level creatures.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Responding to tweet with some E3 possibilities under the assumption that I won't be around again :)

Mass Effect 4 announcement, with MS making a big deal of "First on Xbox" due to EA Access.
    Another Dragon Age: Inquisition expansion, also "First on Xbox" because EA.
    Square Enix failing to realise how hilarious the FF7 PS4 thing was and making the big deal of it again.
    First appearance of Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt), would imagine unlikely as they'll probably want to milk Witcher 3 + expansions for a bit longer.
    Sony trying to pretend the PlayStation TV is a console and not at all related to the Vita.
    Ubisoft comes out with something new that we all get hyped for before remembering it's Ubisoft and how well that usually goes.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Responding to tweet with some E3 possibilities under the assumption that I won't be around again :)

Mass Effect 4 announcement, with MS making a big deal of "First on Xbox" due to EA Access.
    Another Dragon Age: Inquisition expansion, also "First on Xbox" because EA.
    Square Enix failing to realise how hilarious the FF7 PS4 thing was and making the big deal of it again.
    First appearance of Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt), would imagine unlikely as they'll probably want to milk Witcher 3 + expansions for a bit longer.
    Sony trying to pretend the PlayStation TV is a console and not at all related to the Vita.
    Ubisoft comes out with something new that we all get hyped for before remembering it's Ubisoft and how well that usually goes.

Man, remember when Ubisoft tried to make laser tag cool on stage? That was kinda funny.
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I almost forgot about E3 predictions; mine fall into the boring and predictable or the crazy fanboy camp.

Realistic expectations:
    Fallout 4 (duh)
    The next Mass Effect
    Bethesda announces but doesn't show a new Sci-fi RPG
    Xenoblade Chronicles X gets an October release date
    Yakuza 5 is playable on the show floor (I hope Sony hasn't forgotten about this)
    New XCOM

Crazy Fanboy fantasies:
    Sony realizes it needs exclusives an announces a localization of Yakuza 0 for the PS4
    Nintendo announces a Mistwalker developed RPG for the WiiU
    Sony dredges up some old RPG IP's (Dark Cloud, Wild Arms)
    XSEED announces Trails in the Sky 3d (for release in say... 2020)