If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fantasy Gaming Pool 3: Enhanced Edition

TG BarighmTG Barighm MemberFull Members
edited September 2015 in Miscellaneous Gaming
New season, new spin on the game!

Now you will be picking games quarterly.

THE GAME

-Like before, a draft is held, and then once every three months you will choose 3 to 5 games depending on the number of games being released that quarter. For the sake of simplicity, just assume you will be choosing what you believe will be the best 4 games that quarter. Every game will receive a score based on its Metacritic rating. The player with the highest total score across all selected games at the end of the year wins the pool (and possibly a prize).

-A draft will be held to determine every player's TOP 3 games. These games are not limited to quarter. It's essentially the same draft format we've done the last two games. Players take turns choosing their top 3 and the draft order is based on the reverse of last year's order of finish. New players generally pick last.
Drafted games are PROTECTED. Nobody else can select these games. Only YOU benefit from this game's score.
Once a game receives a Metacritic rating, it is considered LOCKED IN.

-The Draft will be held on Thursday, June 18th (pending enough entrants). The competition officially begins the next week.

-After completing the draft, players will then choose an additional 4 games (or so) to create a Summer listing. This will happen again around the 21st of September for the Fall listing, then the 21st of December for the Winter listing (I'll likely move this one ahead a week to avoid the holidays), and finally the 20th of March for the Spring listing.
It is recommended that players submit these games through private messages, but you may post your chosen games in the Fantasy Game Pool thread.
As much as I'd like to post all scores at once by the end of the quarter, it is much easier for me to post them as I receive them. I will keep lists secret until all submissions are in, but once they are in, I will post them.
Once a game receives a Metacritic rating, it is considered LOCKED IN.

ON SUBBING: The new format does not change the fact that delays can happen, so substitutions will still be available in the form of SUBS. Once per quarter, every player will receive a SUB. Subs can be used to switch out a game on your list for a different one. Obviously, this is best utilized for games that are DELAYED. Once a game starts receiving reviews, you can't sub it for something else.
What if one of my games get delayed and moved to the next quarter? What if one of my PROTECTED games gets delayed? Hey, it happens. In that case, you can SUB IT OUT. That's why the first page looks like a collaboration between Subway and The Beetles: those are your subs! Once every quarter, you get a SUB! Subs are used to replace a game in your list with another game released that quarter. So long as your chosen game doesn't have a Metacritic rating, you can sub it in.

There's an added wrinkle with subbing this year: your game doesn't have to be delayed. You can sub it out for whatever reason. So long as the game hasn't been scored, you can SUB! it. It's kind of like a "get out of jail free" card. Yes, you only get one SUB! per quarter this time around, but it's a very versatile sub.

-All participants are encouraged to participate as much as possible. If one of your picks are released, point it out. Be sure to note delays and cancellations. When subbing, please ask for the sub. in a PM I won't miss.

FUDGING: I'm considering a feature I'll call "fudging". If too many people choose the same game, I'll offer those people a chance to switch out the game for something else NOT ALREADY CHOSEN, drafted or undrafted, in return for a +10 score bonus on that game.

TRADING: I might consider allowing players to trade unscored picks. I'm still undecided, but it seems like a harmless feature.

RULES

-The contest window runs from E3 of this year to E3 of next. Games released during the week of E3 are considered OUTSIDE the competition window. Games released starting the week after are considered within it.

-All participants MUST sign-in and be available to choose all 3 of their top picks and provide a complete list of 4 summer games by the end of the weekend. It's only 7 games this time, so no excuses. Participants who fail to do so will not receive official support and will not receive a prize, but they may keep track of their own lists and participate at their leisure.
If you miss the draft, DO NOT BE AFRAID TO JOIN! You can still play, so long as you fulfill all other requirements before the end of the weekend. Your three drafted games will have to be chosen normally and won't be protected, but there have been some people who scored very well without a draft slot.

-All picks MUST INCLUDE THE DATE OF RELEASE. If you don't know the date, list its release quarter or even TBA. When I search for Metacritic scores, I want to know when I should start. I don't want to guess.

-Some games are ineligible: ports, rereleases, and remakes are considered games released outside the competition window. Exceptions are made in the case of radical remakes ("radical" being new graphics/core gameplay mechanisms) or rereleases containing a ton of new content (a "ton" being nearly as much new content as there is original content).

-DLC is NOT a game. It is DLC and outside the scope of this competition. Standalone DLC is an exception so long as you don't require the original game to play it and the game can be completed without any kind of carryover from the original.

-Games MUST receive a Metacritic score from established publications and/or more than a handful of scores to receive consideration. It is on the participant to choose games people besides those within a tiny community will actually play. If the game does not meet these specifications, it will receive a score of 0, although you may sub these games.

Comments

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2016
    PLAYER LISTS
    TheAnimeMan___1225 (final)
    #1. Batman Arkham Knight -89
    #2. Skylanders: Superchargers -82
    #3. Tales of Zestiria -73

SUMMER: FFXIV: Heavensward 86, FIFA 16 85, Mario Maker 89
    FALL: Lego Dimensions 80, Sword Coast Legends 62, Rise of the Tomb Raider 86, Starcraft 2: Legacy Void 88, Rebel Galaxy 76
    WINTER: Tom Clancy's: The Division 81, Fire Emblem Fates 88
    SPRING---submarine.jpg
    1.Star Fox Zero -69
    2.Overwatch -91
    Shaymin___1201 (final)
    #1. Fallout 4 -88
    #2. EA Sports UFC 2 -80
    #3. Mirror's Edge Catalyst -74

SUMMER: The Fafnir Knight 83, Until Dawn -79, Mad Max 75
    FALL: Lego Dimensions 80, Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash 62+10!, Just Cause 3 75, Anno 2205 77, Yakuza5 81
    WINTER: The Witness 87, Far Cry Primal 79
    SPRING---sub.jpg
    1.MLB The Show 16 -85
    2.Ratchet and Clank -86
    redwing42___1220 (final)
    #1. Steamworld Heist -86
    #2. CoD: BlOps3 -83
    #3. Yoshi's Wooly World -79

SUMMER, SOMA 85, Forza Motorsport 6 -88, FIFA 16 85
    FALL: Animal Crossing: Happy Home 67, Just Cause 3 75, Fatal Frame: Maiden 65, Stella Glow 79, Starcraft II: Legacy Void 88
    WINTER: The Witness 87, Unravel 80
    SPRING---
    1.Doom -87
    2.Hyper Light Drifter -86
    Nim___1188 (final)
    //. Hyper Light Drifter -86
    #2. Salt & Sanctuary -85
    #3. Uncharted 4 -93

SUMMER: Shadowrun: Hong Kong 81, STASIS 82, Tearaway Unfolded 82
    FALL: Dragon Quest Heroes 77, Armikrog 58, Persona 4: Dance! 79, Tri Force Heroes 74, Animal Crossing: Home Designer 67
    WINTER: Street Fighter V 77, The Witness 87
    SPRING---
    1.Samorost 3 -77
    2.The Banner Saga 2 -83
    Lolwhoops___1157 (final)
    #1. Yo-Kai Watch -77
    #2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel -85
    #3. Star Wars Battlefront -75

SUMMER: The Fafnir Knight 83, Little Battlers 73+10!, Lost Dimension 72
    FALL: Legend of Legacy 73, Stella Glow 79, Disgaea 5 82, Dragon Quest Heroes 77, Rockband 4 82
    WINTER: Project X Zone 2 73, Final Fantasy Explorers 70
    SPRING---submarine.jpg
    1.Nights of Azure -69
    2.Stranger of Sword City -77
    TG Barighm___1233 (final)
    #1. XCOM 2 -89
    #2. Dark Souls 3 -90
    #3. Halo 5 -85

SUMMER: Until Dawn 79, Tearaway Unfolded 82, Mario Maker 89
    FALL: Just Cause 3 75, Rise of the Tomb Raider 86, Disgaea 5 82, Rebel Galaxy 76, Transformers: Devastation 76
    WINTER: Firewatch 82, The Division 81
    SPRING---sub.jpg
    1. Ratchet and Clank -86
    2. Battleborn -75
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    I'm in. I did better in season 2 than season 1. Third time's the charm?
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    I think I'll rejoin too. I'll try and get my posts in, in time but I do work this coming weekend due to being oncall. Already working 6AM - 230pm
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    No prob. Draft will be held on the following weekend.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    In once again.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I'm back.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited June 2015
    Only need one more player, but of course more are welcome.

Oh, and in case there is confusion, the quarterly picks aren't drafted picks. Pick whatever. My Fudging idea might help if one game is picked too often. Note "fudging" is something I offer to certain players, generally randomly, so as to help prevent players from colluding to pick the same games in an effort to get a score boost.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    i'm not really sure what i would have to do for picking games. would I have to pick games coming out in each quarter or every quarter choose games that are coming out between then and next E3? If it's the second way, then I'll join. There's games coming out I could pick.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited June 2015
    Every three months, pick 4 games (or so) coming out that quarter.

If you don't like the idea of picking games from the Summer when you want to pick more games from the Fall, don't worry. I'm aware the Fall gets more games, so I might make it 5 games for the Fall and maybe just 3 games for slower quarters like Summer and Winter, but I have to see what the release schedules for those months are like. I won't know that until E3 is over.
    edited June 2015
    The new format is already paying off: Scalebound, Crackdown, and Quantum Break will NOT appear at E3, but at Gamescom in August. Good thing you won't have to commit to those games until you've had a chance to see them shown off, eh?

Hmm...although it does make me thing there should be a draft held per quarter as well.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    well, i'll join in. i'm mostly just going to pick games I want to play and hope I have good taste :D
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    Yay! That's actually what most people do anyway. I have low picks this year, so I'll be doing the same.
    Yay, we're good to go. Now I just need to see what's keeping Drem and what Hyphy is up to.

New players are, of course, still welcome.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    I'm going to skip it this year. My desire for keeping up with these type of games has waned. They no longer keep my interest the way they used to.
    Aww. Won't be the same without you.
    edited June 2015
    Here's a list of all games announced at E3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Entertainment_Expo_2015

edited June 2015
    The DRAFT officially begins tonight at midnight! ALL GAME PICKING needs to be completed by next Monday!

Too busy? POST A LIST OF YOUR TOP CHOICES!
    Create a list of all the games you wish to pick. When your turn comes, we will know what game you want to pick next because it's on your list. Make sure the list is sizeable in case all of your top choices are taken.

If you cannot make the draft, YOU CAN STILL PLAY! Just make sure you get your list of three top games (they can be from any part of the year; no quarterly picking for your top three) and 4 (or so) summer quarter games in before picking ends on Monday night (when Arkham Knight is released, although I'm sure someone will draft it).

Remember, only pick when it is your turn to draft. The next pick can't come until the person who is supposed to pick makes their pick; however, we won't wait forever on one person, and if anyone takes too long, then the next person will be able to pick (and the person who lost their pick will just have to get around picking he/she gets a chance).

And no, you can't pick FF7R. It's not coming out this year. Or the next. Or the one after that. They strung us along for ages on Versus. How long do you think they will string us along for this? Heck, the only reason they announced it now is to push PS4 sales in Japan.

Draft Order:

1. Jormungand
    2. TheAnimeMan
    3. Shaymin
    4. redwing42
    5. Nim
    6. lolwhoops
    LAST. TG Barighm

RULES FOR TRADING: This year I will allow players to trade their selections. It's fairly simple: you can trade whatever UNSCORED game you have, even drafted games, for another player's game. The only rule for trading is as follows: BOTH (or however many involved) players must post stating exactly what they are trading for. I must receive a PM or forum post from the trader stating what is being traded, and the tradee stating the same thing. The trade WILL NOT be completed until both (or however many) parties officially state what is being traded.
    Also, and this should be obvious, you can't end up with more or less games than you started with.

RULES FOR FUDGING: I doubt this will become an issue, but if one game is chosen far too often, then I will choose RANDOMLY who gets to benefit from this feature.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    Sorry TG, I meant to respond to the first pm last weekend but I got caught up in some nonsense and spaced it. I see you pulled me out the draft order though which was the right call. I haven't even been paying attention to E3 this year, just got too much going on right now, mostly work bs. So yeah, I'm out for this go around as well but good luck to everyone with your picks.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited June 2015
    THE DRAFT HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!!

JORMUNGAND has the first overall pick!

...kind of a tradition at this point, isn't it? Heh.
    Just to clarify, draft is for the entire year, and we will submit picks for the quarter after the draft. Is that correct?
    I think it'd be neat if the order changed per quearter depending on who got the highest score for the individual quarter. Then the overall winner gets first pick next year
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• NimNim _ Full Members
    I think it'd be neat if the order changed per quearter depending on who got the highest score for the individual quarter. Then the overall winner gets first pick next year
    I also made this suggestion some time ago.

edited June 2015
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, draft is for the entire year, and we will submit picks for the quarter after the draft. Is that correct?

Yes. There is no change to how the draft works.

Quarterly picks aren't drafted or protected, so there's no point. The point of going quarterly is to give people a reason to keep coming back. I don't think punishing people for doing well every quarter helps with that; however, if a problem arises, then I might consider it next quarter. I suspect the draft will take care of the most promising games though.

Jormungand chooses Xenoblade X, Wii U, 12/4/15. (via PM).

Anime, you're up.
    I'll tossing in for Batman Arkham Knight 6/23/2015
    sig.gif

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited June 2015
    I'll go with the consensus GOTY out of E3 because it's the only thing coming out: Fallout 4 (November 10).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    I'll take Persona 5 (December 2015). The hype will likely lead to unreachable expectations, but I'll pick it anyway.
    wait since this is for the quarter, when does the quearter start and end?
    sig.gif

• NimNim _ Full Members
    I choose Torment: Tides of Numenera

It is supposed to release in 2015 but a 2016 is a more realistic, imo.
This discussion has been closed.