If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fantasy Gaming Pool 3: Enhanced Edition

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    Ok, I'll think of something. This was an awful season for me.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    Playing the DOOM beta.

I'm not seeing anything wrong with it. The usual balance and bug issues, sure, but it plays smoothly and the lack of shield/health regeneration does give the game a unique flavour. It completely changes your strategies, plus it forces you to explore the map for goodies. Sorry, CoD kids, no camping for you. Doesn't work in this game.

There are also a TON of unlockables in this game. It's got Reach's armour customization system (that was a great system), plus tons of different colours and finishes, both for your armor and guns. And the TAUNTS...well, there is something satisfying about finishing in the top 3 at the end of the match and waving at the camera, right before breaking out into dance.

Not my favourite multiplayer, sure, but this will definitely be an 80's game. Unless the singleplayer really sucks. It's certainly good enough to completely null the sting of not having access to Halo 5 on the PS4.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    I will sub Sherlock Holmes for The Banner Saga 2.
    K, got it.
    edited April 2016
    Dark Souls 3 and Ratchet & Clank score 90 and 86 respectively.

The Banner Saga 2 kicks off with an 83.
    Star Fox Zero is still a perfectly good game at 72.

Looks like I win again since Anime would need a 90 just to TIE my scoring average; however, I can't win. For everyone else, this just makes it a whole lot closer.
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited April 2016
    Hey, Battleborn could still be terrible... you haven't won quite yet.
    edited April 2016
    Played it. It's not. The MOBA stuff doesn't appeal to me, but I didn't see anything wrong with what I did play, and the campaign levels were actually quite enjoyable. Like Borderlands, except with more liberal and effective use of scripted events and much more entertaining bosses. Sort of what Borderlands would be if it were a linear shooter. It's an easy 70 at the least.
    But... but what if it is broken? Or everything is blocked behind microtransactions? Come on man, give us a bit of hope here.
    Hmm...maybe, but I'm not sure what use the MT's are. Every character can be bought by completing specific challenges (rather than game coin, so it's entirely on you). There were 10 campaign levels (maybe more. 12?) in the campaign menu and it took me an hour to complete each of the two that were available in the beta. And that was just the normal difficulty. There were a bunch.

There's always exploits. They totally ruined the Division. And the loot is pretty shallow. Too bad this game doesn't have a system like Mass Effect 3's multiplayer. That would have got me to go out and pre-order the game.
    The Banner Saga 2 settles on a 83.
    Good thing movies aren't video games, because the Ratchet & Clank MOVIE got a 30.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Good thing we don't do a Fantasy Gaming Pool for movies then
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Dibs on the next Mortal Kombat movie.

...what? It can't be worse than the last one.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited April 2016
    Good thing we don't do a Fantasy Gaming Pool for movies then

Admittingly it would be more interesting. Movie scores are all over the place. Even when you have good talent involved, it still feels like a crapshoot. Games generally settle in the 70's area.
    Star Fox Zero comes back to earth with a 69.
    First reviews I'm seeing for Battleborn are in the 90's. Mwa ha ha.
    I expect that to come down some. Not enough to matter for this competition, but I'd likely expect a final score around 80 from some other reactions I'm seeing.
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, the reader reviews are more in the high 80's, although that's still pretty impressive.

Blizzard has decided to release Overwatch without its competitive mode.
    Uncharted 4 scoring exactly how I expected it to be scored: 94 with 66 reviews.
    Well, looks like Overwatch will be the most popular game on presentation alone because it looks great. Also, it plays more like a competitive shooter than all that LoL rip-off crap. Sure wish it had a campaign though. Like Titanfall, you see all this awesome stuff in the background and wish to know what's going on.
    Someone may have been a bit too excited about those early Battleborn reviews...
    edited May 2016
    Hey, I just need to score over 70 with one version of the game to put this competition out of reach, and those PC reviews are still quite high. Some of those PS4 reviews don't make any sense. Little content? The game has a campaign for crying out loud whereas Overwatch doesn't and is removing game modes besides.

From a pure game vs. game standpoint, I don't really care. Battleborn didn't really have any RPG elements and Overwatch's aiming controls on the PS4 feel awfully loose (Battleborn was actually better in that regard). Uncharted 4's multiplayer is still my multiplayer of choice right now.
    Although I'm well in my rights to do so today since it's been a week, I'm not going to record Battleborn's 78score today, which would put the win squarely in my lap. Instead, I'll let it slide for another week. Just to be a good sport.

Don't forget I can't actually win. I would be the highest scorer, but that's it.
    So if you win does that mean no one wins and we all lost?

If so that is some funny donkey
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

As I've said many times before, including my last post: I'm not eligible. I'm just participating. You're still the frontrunner.
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    As I've said many times before, including my last post: I'm not eligible. I'm just participating. You're still the frontrunner.

Oh I must have misudnerstood (not that I care about being front runner) I just think it'd be funny if we technically all lost :D
    sig.gif

edited May 2016
    DOOM is still quiet, but its reader reviews are in the 77 range.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    They didn't send review codes for that one until it went live. Thankfully, we should start seeing reviews early next week.

Also, I chose wisely to sub Tokyo Mirage Sessions: the magic date on that one appears to be June 22, so it's up for next season.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    edited May 2016
    Since there is a good possibility of it happening this year, here's how I determine tie breakers:

-In the event of a tie, the player with the highest scored game between the two breaks the tie.
    -If both players are still tied, the next highest scored game between the two breaks the tie.
    -If necessary, this continues until the tie is broken.
    -In the bizarre event that the tie remains intact across all chosen games, meaning both players scored exactly the same score with every game chosen, then the player who chose the highest scored game FIRST breaks the tie.
    -In the absolutely bonkers case that there is STILL a tie by this point...then you should start questionning reality or something, because that's just nuts.
    -Seriously though, if that were to happen, I'd run through the games again, but this time the scores would be chosen based on current Metacritic ratings or maybe Gamerankings ratings until I see a tie break. In other words, the tie breaker would be determined by how the best scored game holds up over time.
This discussion has been closed.