If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fantasy Gaming Pool 3: Enhanced Edition

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited June 2015
    wait since this is for the quarter, when does the quearter start and end?

The following was confirmed by TG a few posts up:
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, draft is for the entire year, and we will submit picks for the quarter after the draft.

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    Guys, don't forget all the rules are posted in the first post of this thread.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Yo-Kai Watch (holiday 2015)
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    Wow. You guys are allowing some top games to fall really far. I know what I want to pick, but I didn't expect to have so many good choices available.

Well, I can't possibly win, so I'll leave the fancy-schmany games to those who actually can and take the games I'd like to play. XCOM 2 for this November.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, 9/1/15.

Is that more along the lines of what you were thinking, TG? :p
    edited June 2015
    Actually, no, but definitely one of the games I was wondering about.

Damn, Jormungand, you're getting some awesome picks this year. And actual in-window releases too!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Skylanders: Superchargers 9/20/20145.

I feel I've had decent picks ... if safe ones.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    My game doesn't have a final name yet, but it's the thing I'm most confident about scoring high aside from Fallout 4: Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem (Wii U, 2016)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    With Treyarch behind the wheel again, I feel pretty sure that CoD: BlOps3 (11/6/15) will be a resounding success.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    I will choose Salt & Sanctuary.

Release date: I have no idea. Before next E3, I hope.
    edited June 2015
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is my next pick. :D
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    Huh. I guess no one is picking for scoring this year. Dark Souls 3, most likely in spring of 2016. A little worried it won't come out in time, but both games directed by Mizayaki came out under 2 years.

And in case anyone is wondering, you can use a SUB! to sub out drafted picks, but you have to choose from a release within the quarter.
    Tales of Zestiria (October 2015)

I feel good about this one,
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Mirror's Edge Catalyst (February 23)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Nintendo first party games generally do well in this, so despite my dislike of the character, I'm going to pick Yoshi's Wooly World (10/16/15).
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    I choose Uncharted 4.

Should release Q1 2016.
    Star Wars Battlefront (supposed to come out this year). As much as I'm not into shooters, Star Wars. That Hoth battle stuff shown was great.

ps- I'm still picking games I am interested in personally as opposed to safer picks. I'm wondering how my tastes will add up by next year.
    edited June 2015
    And I'll take Halo 5 if only to stop everyone from taking it during the Fall quarter.

Now for the QUARTERLY picking. This is the SUMMER listing.

Unlike the draft, you will be choosing ANY 3 games (THREE, trois, #3, a third, tri) released between now and September 23rd AND ONLY within that quarter. Remember, games that have been drafted can't be chosen, and re-releases, DLC, expansions, ports, and remasters don't count (see the first page for more details about re-releases).

On September 23rd, we'll all come back for the Fall quarter. I'm thinking 5 games for that one.

Some have suggested that it is better to keep their choices secret. Okay, that's fine, but you can post your three selections within this thread too, or you can just send them to me in a PM. Nobody will know your selections until I post them on cut-off day.

Not sure when a game is coming out? Here's a decent place to start: http://www.gamefaqs.com/
    Still not sure? Need to cross-reference a release date? Google is your friend!

ALL LISTS MUST BE IN BY MONDAY NIGHT! It's only three games, so this shouldn't be too hard.

FOR EXAMPLE:

I'm picking three games that will release between now and September 23rd to complete my Summer list. It's a fairly light quarter, so I only have to pick 3 games. I pick Batman: Arkham Knight, Super Dario coming out in July, and Call of Dooty in August.

Uh, oh! Arkham Knight is a protected game! No biggie, just replace it as quickly as possible, so I grab Backstabber's Dogma in September which comes out JUST before the deadline. Phew!

SUBBING:

What if one of my games get delayed and moved to the next quarter? What if one of my PROTECTED games gets delayed? Hey, it happens. In that case, you can SUB IT OUT. That's why the first page looks like a collaboration between Subway and The Beetles: those are your subs! Once every quarter, you get a SUB! Subs are used to replace a game in your list with another game released that quarter. So long as your chosen game doesn't have a Metacritic rating, you can sub it in.

There's an added wrinkle with subbing this year: your game doesn't have to be delayed. You can sub it out for whatever reason. So long as the game hasn't been scored, you can SUB! it. It's kind of like a "get out of jail free" card. Yes, you only get one SUB! per quarter this time around, but it's a very versatile sub.

TRADING: Remember, this year you can trade your picks with other players.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    Just going to post my summer picks here:

Lost Dimension (7/28)
    Super Mario Maker (9/11)
    Mighty No.9 (9/15)
    edited June 2015
    Despite THIS game not officially starting yet, Arkham Knight is already showing up at 91.
    Might be some review copies and such

Other Summer picks

FFXIV: Heavensward Jun 23rd
    FIFA 16 September 22nd
    Mighty NO. 9 September 15th
    sig.gif

• NimNim _ Full Members
    I'm guessing we can now pick games without following the order in the list.

The Devil's Men - Summer 2015
    STASIS - "End of August 2015"
    Tearaway Unfolded - September 9 2015

About my last pick: It's a re-imagination of the PS Vita game with lots of new contend and redone mechanics for the PS4, but I don't know if I can pick it or not. I'll go with something else if this pick is not kosher. The PS4 version and the PSV version have many differences.
    edited June 2015
    Tearaway Unfolded has some brand new mechanics that weren't in the original and many of the stages were greatly increased to take advantage of them. It also has some mechanics that take advantage of the DS4's lesser used features (which is most of them), and it's more important to highlight a game's ingenuity then it is to play stickler to the Fantasy Gaming Pool's rules. Heck, I wasn't paying any attention to this game until you asked about it.

I think this can be classified as a remake, so it's good.
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: The Fafnir Knight (Aug 4 - 3DS)
    Until Dawn (Aug 25 - PS4)
    Mad Max (Sep 1 - Multiplat)
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Tearaway Unfolded has some brand new mechanics that weren't in the original and many of the stages were greatly increased to take advantage of them. It also has some mechanics that take advantage of the DS4's lesser used features (which is most of them), and it's more important to highlight a game's ingenuity then it is to play stickler to the Fantasy Gaming Pool's rules. Heck, I wasn't paying any attention to this game until you asked about it.

I think this can be classified as a remake, so it's good.
    Cool. I will have that as my third pick, then.
    edited June 2015
    If I followed the rule of want to play then score I would definitely lose horribly on a few picks (Neptunia I'm looking at you)

and yes I know it's a personal preference for some. :D
    sig.gif

Well, for the first two years I had to try for a good score to prove the game's validity, and last year I was actually competing. This year I don't have to do any of that, the system works, so I can pick whatever I want. Plus Hyphy isn't here to dominate the scoring charts, so maybe we won't have to, heh.
    Yoshi's Woolly World doing suprisingly poorly at 71.
    Already up to a 76, but certainly a bit of a surprise. More proof that I should just not bother with the whole draft thing.
This discussion has been closed.