If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 145: A Whale in Space

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
It's time to talk about a Final Fantasy. Which one? Well, it's got improbable returns from death, monsters on the moon, a spoony bard, a jumping Dragoon, and too many versions to count using the fingers of just one hand. Those things should narrow it down.
There may be a guy named Golbez too.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I love hearing Phil's rage stories.

I clearly remember that at least a couple reviews warned about the screwy Augment system of the 3D FF4 remake. I think that kind of BS would not be tolerated in a less popular game; but because FF4 is a big name with tons of fans, and FAQs, they got away with it.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for the screwy, not always balanced system in that game. LOL. It really made me mad when I did a 2nd attempt...took time to grind, and STILL got my butt kicked. LOL
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Reasons why the PSP Complete Collection is the definitive version IN MY OPINION:

- The Lunar Ruins content is better than the DS version's added content
    - The After Years doesn't have the WiiWare version's RNG that makes the challenge dungeons more fun to play
    - I kind of prefer having Yang in the endgame party of FFIV instead of Edge, who's presence I still don't understand
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    this game holds the the dubious honour of being the game I played the most times on different systems while still hating it. The absolute worst part about it is I will probably play it again because it was one of the first RPGs I remember watching my brother play on the SNES and it has some powerful nostalgia locks on me.

I want a remake of Final Fantasy 5 on my vita now.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I'm glad I that my first and only FF4 playthrough was the PSP Complete Collection, though I never did get very far in The After Years. Lacking the dense fog of nostalgia, I'm definitely not as connected to the characters as some people are. Sorry Kain-lovers, Freya is bestest FF dragoon in my books. She even has the back legs for jumpin'!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Good episode. It's crazy how much happens in ff4, without the game being to long. Even the original version, some grinding was to be had at the moon. I think the best spot was the very first room in bahamut's cave. You mainly fight those women with glowing swords. Good exp and you can pop right back out to use a cabin.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Good episode! I hadn't gotten to comment on the last few, because work's been busy. FFIV was, likewise, one of those key gaming experiences that made me into the gamer that I am today. It had a story, it had characters, and I spent hours upon hours with it. I definitely feel Phil's frustration with the augment system, but I didn't feel it was necessary to complete the game; I basically picked not using the system to its fullest to have more fun as I went.

I need to try The After Years, though. I might just do the Steam version for that.