If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2015 Completed Games List (Part 2)

Comments

• DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2015
    Fatale (PC)

You play as John the Baptist in prison. You get decapitated and then float around semi-naked Salome while blowing out candles.

The first part where you walk around your prison cell with passages from Oscar Wilde's play materializing in mid air is janky but atmospheric, and I actually got a bit freaked out when the executioner appeared. The candle-blowing part is mostly just awkward, with some of the worst controls I've ever experienced in a game.

Her Story (PC)

An interesting take on both Interactive Fiction and FMV Games. I'm not sure it's quite as amazing as hype for it would imply, but it's definitely worth playing.
  • KeldarusKeldarus RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Eww. I've been slacking on my updates. Per my spreadsheet, I've completed the following games.
    Prince of Persia -PC
    Skies of Arcadia - Legends- GC
    Orcs Must Die- PC
    Alien Breed: Impact- PC
    Batman: Arkham City- PS3
    Infamous: First Light - PS4
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Just wrapped up Tales from the Borderlands - Episode 3: Catch a Ride (PC)
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Your thoughts on the plottwist at the end?
    That Brick and Mordecai got their bums beat up by both Athena AND Fiona until Vallery intervened, which led to the beginning of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel?
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • valsarvalsar Member Full Members
    Batman Arkham Knight (PS4) I ended up doing everything but getting all the Riddler trophies.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Far Cry 4: PS3. FINALLY. I've been dragging Moo in this game for so long. It's a shame because every aspect of the gameplay is polished from FC3, except the wingsuit acts quite strange to me. But man, I just couldn't dig the story. Oh well, On to GTA5 finally!
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Spoiler buffering....

Buffering...
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Your thoughts on the plottwist at the end?
    That Brick and Mordecai got their bums beat up by both Athena AND Fiona until Vallery intervened, which led to the beginning of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel?
    Technically that's post-Borderlands 2 before the Pre-Sequel flashback storytelling that Athena does. Not really a plot twist, more of a "hey, this is how Pre-Sequel got set up!" Wouldn't really say that they got beat, either. It was more of a stand-off. Athena and Brick were evenly matched, and Fiona only got a few shots off on Mordecai because she snuck up on him. Either way, Gortys was the best thing about this episode. I cannot wait til she meets Claptrap. That meeting cannot be anything other than amazing.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Castlevania: NES. I usually die to Death (lol) way more than I did this time around but for some reason the bats on the approach to Dracula were the toughest part of the game. I must have died 20 times to that part.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Yeah they can be annoying, good job on finishing it! It is a hard game!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    OPeration Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy (Vita) I have some more to do in the game, but right now it wants me to use float accesories and i only have one, so i'll wait until i feel like it to do more. I beat the main story and tied up the thread i wanted, and there were credits already, so this one is done for now. I really want to play something else though.

So, how is the game? Well, there's a lot of cheap mechanics that can take the fun out of you really quick. There's a lot of battles. The story takes itself very serious except when it threw in some random bikinis and that one girl who farts a lot. It's a dungeon crawler that goes about 30 hours too long. There's better ways to spend 60+ hours on your Vita than this one.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2015
    Game of Thrones: Episode Five - A Nest of Vipers (PS4)

Ar noSurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star (PS Vita) - Review to come.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    I have acquired my 10th Platinum Trophy!

J-Stars Victory VS+ (PS3) ***Platinum Trophy***

Surprisingly fun with a diverse cast of play-styles. While the mechanics allow of a pick-up-and-play style, each character does operate differently, so there's a decent degree of depth.
    ClixPsi.png
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    Tactics Ogre (PSX)
    I always knew TO's importance as the predecessor to FFT in mechanics. However, I never realized how similar the overall plot and structure were. There are so many parallels, it's ridiculous!

However, while TO is often described as difficult compared to its younger cousin, the fixed levels make overcoming the opposition through brute force a trivial matter. It's true you can limit your army's levels purposely, and then yes--it's very difficult to get through battles (especially if you are trying not to lose anyone). Admittedly, I didn't like losing people. So I used the cleric leveling trick and powered through the Chaos path.

One thing that stuck out to me was the effectiveness of status effects compared to most RPGs: in TO, they're not only useful, but often necessary for tactical advantage.

The other awesome thing about the game is the party size. Ten characters! That just puts other RPGs to complete shame. It makes me pine for what could have been in FFT. Then again, FFT did just about everything else better. Regardless, both are cornerstones of the SRPG genre.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2015
    Finished off Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) tonight, going down the netural route thanks to a walkthrough because I'd seen everyone's reactions to the other routes and sod that :D Also the first SMT game I've actually finished that doesn't have "Persona" in the title (Devil Survivor was close until it pulled difficulty spike crap).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Tales of Phantasia (GBA)

I had a lot of fun with this one. Despite the age, it's not even my least favorite of the series; probably places more towards the middle. While the combat was dated, I felt like the cast was still very solid. It was also still quite beautiful at times, as to be expected of a well-made end-of-era game. My only regret is that I flubbed it, and I couldn't get 100% (or rather, all titles, which is pretty close to 100%). Since I hadn't committed to until until halfway, I hadn't purchased every weapon in the Past, so those three swords kept me from being able to complete the Collector's Book. I did complete the Monster Book. I also still had to get the level 99 (Cress) and level 80 (Chester, Mint, Suzu) titles, but I kind of lost interest in getting them once I realized that it was futile. Maybe I'll do New Game+ one day to get the gold.
    ClixPsi.png
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I just finished Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker. I'll go into more detail on my thoughts in the last #JRPGJuly update, but I will say this: While I still think Overclocked is the better game, Record Breaker has given me a new found respect and love of the sequel.

Also...can we expect a third game, actually made from the ground up for 3DS?
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited August 2015
    Atelier Totori Plus (Vita)

This is my second Atelier game, after finishing Atelier Rorona+ last year. However I think that I was spoiled by that game and the Overtime year in it. I found myself feeling that this game didn't have nearly as much direction as Rorona did. I felt overly miserly about my time, and I felt that it was being burned up far too rapidly in some ways. However I ended up with almost 2.5 years of spare time on my hands overall, so it was not nearly as big an issue as it felt.

I am glad that I played Rorona first, as I enjoyed seeing how many of the characters turned out from that game. There were several scenes, as well as Rorona's behavior, that make a lot more sense after having played her game.

Overall, I think I enjoyed Rorona better due to the direction provided, and a tighter story. However this game was definitely fun to play.

Also, a big thanks to Nyx who bought me this game in a contest awhile back.
    smacd wrote: »
    Atelier Totori Plus (Vita)

This is my second Atelier game, after finishing Atelier Rorona+ last year. However I think that I was spoiled by that game and the Overtime year in it. I found myself feeling that this game didn't have nearly as much direction as Rorona did. I felt overly miserly about my time, and I felt that it was being burned up far too rapidly in some ways. However I ended up with almost 2.5 years of spare time on my hands overall, so it was not nearly as big an issue as it felt.

I am glad that I played Rorona first, as I enjoyed seeing how many of the characters turned out from that game. There were several scenes, as well as Rorona's behavior, that make a lot more sense after having played her game.

Overall, I think I enjoyed Rorona better due to the direction provided, and a tighter story. However this game was definitely fun to play.

Also, a big thanks to Nyx who bought me this game in a contest awhile back.

I totally get your complaints with the game! It's definitely not the easiest one to jump into after you've played something as structured as Rorona. I'm super glad you enjoyed the character scenes (so many good ones in Totori!) and you are SUPER WELCOME, MAN! I'm just happy you've been playing the series and it's good we can chat about them!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Nyx wrote: »
    I totally get your complaints with the game! It's definitely not the easiest one to jump into after you've played something as structured as Rorona. I'm super glad you enjoyed the character scenes (so many good ones in Totori!) and you are SUPER WELCOME, MAN! I'm just happy you've been playing the series and it's good we can chat about them!

Sometimes, I'm a little too hasty with my thoughts on a game. In this case I think I was spending more time comparing it to Rorona, than I was explaining what I actually enjoyed about the game.

While I found the story in Rorona more structured, the story in Totori was actually more interesting. Especially with the True Ending, which ended up being what I was hoping for but didn't think would happen.

The less restrictive nature of the game wasn't bad either, it just took a little more getting used to. Its a bit more... open world? Kind of. Its a lot more player driven in a lot of ways- the goals are there, but they are a lot more distant feeling than knowing you had a deadline every 3 months, it was a deadline 3 years away. It leaves me wondering how Meruru will change, not to mention the Dusk series.

And while I said that Rorona's Overtime year spoiled me, it also is where the alchemy process really clicked in my head, with the more intricate trait transfer and what not became a lot more important. This really helped quickly figure things out near the end of Totori, where I ended up with items, equipment and a strategy that made it almost impossible to lose a battle. I ended up doing all the extra post-game bosses (other than the Ortho-whatever bonus dungeon) just because I could.

I'll probably be looking at loading up Meruru sometime in the next few months, possibly as my next Vita game.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    The Evil Within (PS3)

Honestly this game was 1 part super frustrating, 1 part confusing as all get out, and 1 part respectable gameplay. At the end of the day though this mixture didn't produce what I'd call a good game. There were several times throughout that I earnestly considered just quitting and returning TEW, mostly because of the reasons I listed in the Now Playing thread, along with the BS that was Chapter 9's periodic specter trying to insta kill you. As a horror game I felt that too much of it was literally spent wandering around aimlessly with no sense of direction plot wise. Sure it was fun to play through during some parts, but ultimately I think the amount of crappy sections outweighed the fun ones.
    edited August 2015
    Finally got round to playing through Hakuōki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS), got Harada's route.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Finally got round to playing through Hakuōki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS), got Harada's route.

That was my favourite one of all of them. It's the fluffiest. <3
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (3DS)

That last boss did give me trouble, but once I manage to get the hang of it, it was done!

I am nowhere close of completing all the online content tough, I still a low rank hunter and after 108 hours of game play, there still a lot to do, monster to hunt, weapon and armor to craft!

They are still making bonus content every month, so I will play this one for a long time still... and I am happy to do so. Stop looking at me like that backlog, I will never finish you anyway! But I will try for sure.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) + DLC Maps

I played it on Normal Difficulty, Classic Mode. The first time was on Hard-Casual, so that I could grind without fear of death but not just roll over the enemies. This time involved a lot more resetting, but the lower difficulty kept it from getting too wacky. I also did all but 7 DLC maps (the free-money/EXP/weapons map and four challenge maps). I raised everyone to max level, and my Gen 1 fighters (and Lucina) Second Sealed their final class for a round 2, just to help squeeze out some more stats and give them something to do as the kids went through their second jobs. The overall goal was to create a team built around the base jobs (eg. Cavalier, Knight, Thief, etc.). So, my go-to team consisted of:

Lords: Chrom (married to Sumia) and Lucina (married to Laurent)
    Tactician: Robin (married to Anna)
    Cavalier: Frederick (Great Knight; married to Maribelle)
    Knight: Kjelle (General; married to Owain)
    Barbarian: Owain (Berserker)
    Fighter: Basilio (Warrior)
    Mercenary: Flavia (Hero)
    Archer: Noire (Sniper; married to Yarne)
    Thief: Anna (Trickster)
    Myrmidon: Say'ri (Swordmaster)
    Dark Mage: Morgan (Sorceress)
    Mage: Laurent (Dark Knight)
    Priest: Brady (War Monk; married to Severa)
    Troubadour: Lissa (Valkyrie; married to Vaike)
    Pegasus Knight: Cynthia (Falcon Knight; married to Inigo)
    Wyvern Knight: Gerome (Wyvern Lord; married to Nah)
    Taguel: Yarne
    Manakete: Tiki and Nah
    Bride: Severa
    Dread Fighter: Inigo

The rest of the first gen were married as thus: SullyXKellam, StahlXMiriel, GregorXNowi, VirionXCherche, GaiusXTharja, HenryXOlivia, RickenXPanne, CordeliaXLibra. For the actual final battle, I let most of the kids sit out and sortied Chrom, Lucina, Robin, Frederick, Basilio, Flavia, Anna, Say'ri, Lissa, Tiki,
    Gangrel, Emmeryn, Aversa, Walhart, Yen'Fey,
    and Priam. Overall, I had a lot of fun, and the DLC maps were reasonably challenging. I went with the Robin-Ending, though I guess that I should have gone with Chrom to see something different.
    ClixPsi.png
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited August 2015
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)

I did a replay of this game, having recently bought Arkham City, just for a refresher. I'm reminded why I love this game, it's a giant love letter to Batman fans. Joker, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Scarecrow, you name a bigtime Batman villain and they're probably here or referenced. Those who are here keep their voices from the Batman: The Animated Series, and the amount of care into this game shows. Batman has several gadgets you've seen before in the comics and in the TV series, and uses them well to take care of business. Not to mention he fights and takes down enemies exactly how you normally see him do it in the show and comics.

My only complaints with this game is that it actually ended, and that the combat challenges are so unforgiving if you're going for 100%. Mostly because they want full mastery of the combat system (meaning perfect combo chains, getting hit rarely, etc) if you're going to get the 3 medals for each one of the 8 combat challenges. Luckily I just Platinum'd this, so I never have to worry about that again.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Decided to play through There Came an Echo (PC) this afternoon. Fairly short (about 3-4 hours), but found it to be pretty neat.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Omega Quintent - PS4

Got the regular ending but I really enjoyted this one the convolutedness of system that generally PLEG other IF/CH games isn't as bad here although does seem a step back from Fairy Fencer F.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    smacd wrote: »

The less restrictive nature of the game wasn't bad either, it just took a little more getting used to. Its a bit more... open world? Kind of. Its a lot more player driven in a lot of ways- the goals are there, but they are a lot more distant feeling than knowing you had a deadline every 3 months, it was a deadline 3 years away. It leaves me wondering how Meruru will change, not to mention the Dusk series.

The entire super-series goes back and forth between the two formats (quarterly 3-month deadlines vs. annual or 3-year deadlines). For the Dusk games, Ayesha has a 3-year deadline, Escha & Logy has quarterlies, and Shallie forgoes the whole calendar thing for a more chapter-based approach.

Just back from vacation, and I put the final blow to the Dark Dragon in Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire. Review to come, but I can tell you now that it's going to be a mixed bag.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    Murdered: Soul Suspect (PS3). Finished it in a few sittings.

Wasn't expecting much with this game, and although thats mostly what I got, it still served its purpose well enough. Though you don't actually do much playing of anything at all other than inspecting random items and stealth killing the occasional demon, it offered a respectably short and streamlined story. Honestly, it may have been better off overall cutting out the annoying demon sections and focus any gameplay on the investigative and detective work instead. Managed to keep my attention and be entertaining enough for a couple afternoons, which is exactly what I was looking for.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    Dragon's Dogma (PS3)
    It was OK.

I was impressed by the design and behavior of the giant enemies. Otherwise, very average action RPG gameplay. For now I have decided to not pursue the Dark Arisen content. Maybe someday. For now, I'm calling it quits.