If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 10: Baby Quest - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited July 2015 in Latest Updates
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss how your host is terrible for never having played Dragon Quest V. We also discuss underappreciated RPGs.
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    Great chat, I learned quite a bit about some more niche RPGs I haven't gotten to yet, some I own and some not.

I wont hold it against you for not playing DQ5. Its probably my 2nd or 3rd least favorite in the series. But possibly because I was bitter in 1995-ish for all the articles and stuff promoting Dragon Warrior 5 back in the day, and it never coming. As for DQ6, yeah, while I actually liked the game, I think it would have been better received had we got it around when it originally came out rather than 20 years later.

Oh, and Congrats on the new training wheels!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Thank you sir!

I'm quite enjoying V so far! We'll see how it goes.

I think VI would have been very well liked had we got it back then, and like I mentioned on the show, I think it visually comes across better in its original 16-bit form. Perhaps the series would have formed a better foot hold in the West as well. Oh well, c'est la vie!
    sig.gif
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Dq8 just realized dragon quest concept and character art so perfectly into the finished game. I feel like it was the game they had always imagined in it's pure form.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    i really hope a neptunia-like game comes out with overtly sexualize male characters just so you have to review it because you said you would play it. Just imagining that makes me laugh. If they went with sexualization to the point of parody though, I could see it working. What's the gender reversed equivilant of Idea Factory? Thought Workshop?

I've come to the conclusion that I have played more first person dungeon crawlers than you. Operation Abyss is actually pretty good so far.

I will think of more questions later. Maybe I'll even think of a good one this time!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    OK, if you do ever get to triple digits on this, you SHOULD have another kid, and you SHOULD get a reality TV show called "The Fifth Wheels" just because :p

Also not terribly sad to say that I did play and enjoy most of the PSX games mentioned in that one segment. One of the things I remembered most about Wild ARMs 2 is that it let you rename all the playable characters and practically every major NPC in the game to suit your whims. Legend of Mana also got a lot of fun side commentary from my college suitemates, several of whom were taking Zen I that year as an elective. Some of the things that came out of those Sproutlings' mouths was so zen it was funny. As for Guardian's Crusade, I actually reviewed it last year
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited July 2015
    Fun episodes, guys! And congratulations to Wheels (and especially his significant other)!

Regarding PS1 RPGs, I want to hear the hosts [strike]complain[/strike] talk about Shadow Madness. I played it for about 5 minutes back in the day, and all I can honestly remember of it is the random battle dodging mechanic.
    Since the new fire emblem gets rid of weapon stacks and durability, do spells still have a number of uses per book?
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    edited July 2015
    Huzzah! Congrats on Training Wheels 2's triumphant arrival! And it was a very good episode to listen to. Lotsa fun.

I concur with Wild Arms 2. It's a mess, but it's a beloved mess. The lines that Liz and Ard give are probably my favorite part. For instance, consider this gem:

Liz: I gave him a nosebleed, but no "friendship" developed. My calculations how something vital missing? Could it be "poetry"?

And this one:

Liz: Gentlemen don't like violence but love the violence of words. Prepare for word torture! I can't keep quiet. I'm full of dangerous phrases that should be censored.

And this one, too:

Liz: It shines! It spins! It makes noise! Release it for the Red Beam Gun to scatter bullets. A shocking scene might play itself out right here before us.

And so I ask you, in a foolish attempt to make one of you read this on the air, which is the funniest/worst/greatest crime against man and God?

And for a less awful question, what do you think the best way to play Dragon Quest III is? It's the one (besides 6 and 7) that I've never spent much time with. I've debated the iPhone version, but... iPhone version.

ETA: If you can get JuMeSyn on to do a dramatic reading of those, I won't give you money -- I don't have any -- but I will be a happy man.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hey guys! We're doing an all Nintendo question episode in honor of Mr. Iwata so feel free to post some of those here (and your non-Nintendo questions will be added to the backlog as well of course).
    sig.gif
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Oh, cool! Hope there's still time, but here we go:

What NES RPG has held up the best? If we need to limit it, let's say of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest titles, but feel free to expand past there.

Are the non-Xenoblade Operation Rainfall RPGs on Wii worth a look, in your humble opinions?

What do you think Mr. Iwata's impact on JRPGs was?
    Question- how knowledgable are the two of you on the famicom disk drive? It seemed a lot of the most popular titles came out on it in japan, while in America the base nes played all those games. Is that really the case? Seems weird for an addon to have been so important to their nes.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Ooh! Ooh! I can answer this one!
    Have other of you played opona for the wii? It has rad music and another game that everyone hates but is actually decent.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited July 2015
    Texside wrote: »
    What NES RPG has held up the best? If we need to limit it, let's say of the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest titles, but feel free to expand past there.
    If you are talking about NES RPGs, then it would probably be quite topical to mention EarthBound Beginnings (aka "Mother").

People are quite quick to compare it to their experiences with EarthBound ("Mother 2"), which does make sense. But I feel would be fairer to hear comparisons to other NES RPGs instead.
  • TiaelTiael Member Full Members
    Great listen.

As for the DQ "trilogies" and your favorites, DQIII obviously, though I still love DQI and DQII, currently replaying DQII.

Of DQIV-DQVI, DQV of course, but I like DQVI more than DQIV and it's also in my top 5 DQ games.
    I happen to love the more open ended, non linear aspect of it, as opposed to having the path shoved in your face it's up to you to discover it.
    I also love the cast, class system and the story, I didn't find it generic, but eh different strokes.

DQVII-DQIX, DQVII is my favorite of those three, but that's also my favorite DQ, just something about the story, characters, the world, time travel, the independent story-lines for each area.
    Followed by DQIX then DQVIII.

Granted, it's my favorite series, and I wish we saw at least some of the 3DS titles in the west, spin-offs/remakes included.