If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 12: You Got a Friend in Me - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
Episode 12: You Got a Friend in Me - Q&A Quest

This week in Q&A Quest, we have a real talk with Dragon Quest and Tales fans. We also discuss Pokémon and how to catch 'em all.
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    dood, almost 3 hours. welcome to rant city! but this one had me laughing a lot and I like the music shoved in there, though it's a bit too loud. would be cool to stick to more game music than non, but that's just my opinion. I'm also kinda sad that not many people throw questions into the hat that much. It's actually fun to hear you guys talk about stuff.

So, as a fan of Dragon Quest who has bought every Dragon Quest game released in the west after a certain point (mainly when I started having my own money) I have to say I think you're entirely right that people need to buy these games if they want more of them. I bought 4-6 as they released and enjoyed all of them. I really started with 8 after playing its demo and really liking it. I own 7 and played it for about 30 hours before I stopped for a few weeks and when I went back I had no idea where the piece of stone thing I was missing was and didn't feel like going everywhere in the game looking for it. I bought, beat, and loved the Joker games. Just being able to have a team of my favourites was so satisfying. 9 was one of my favourite DS games and really got me with the loads of treasure, enemies on screen, dressing up your character with different armour and weapons changing the way they look, the class system that was easy to game...well basically everything except how the train flew, I guess.

I have Dragon Quest Heroes pre-ordered. The special edition from the Square Enix store, even. I will do my damnedest to show my support of the series. So, is anyone else in the mood to make some sort of Dragon Quest event? We could flood the internet with streams, articles, reviews of old and new, and basically anything else we can think up to get the chatter going and see if we can convince people to seek out the games and encourage positive action.

If I could figure out how to stream from my 3DS, I would stream all the DS games I have. My PS2 died in the middle of my last Dragon Quest 8 run, but I could always stream it from my ps3 with proper equipment. PS4 can stream Heroes too. I have a lot of free time and more than enough interest in the series. Who's with me!? Who wants to unleash the beast!? Who hungers for the quest!? Let us make this the year of Dragon Quest! (well, from august to december isn't quite a year, but we could go into 2016. stop being nit picky,)
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Sign me up for the Dragon Quest fun train, I may have to stream the fan translation of Dragon Quest V (the PS2 version) and of course heroes when it comes out.
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    So I think that the biggest thing you missed in the comparison between Tales and DQ fans, is that not only do DQ fans have a lot more cause for concern- there is already a history of DQ not coming west in the mid 90s. We never got the original DQ5 and DQ6, despite marketing for Dragon Warrior 5 around 93-94. We're currently in the second dark ages. Those of us who are long term fans from the beginning in the 80s, remember the first dark ages and don't like to see it happen all over again.

You do bring up good points about sales being an issue. I don't have any response, I have no idea how to improve it. I've purchased every single DQ/DW that has come west since day 1. What I do know is that heavy marketing helped both 8 and 9.

Now, I'm not as familiar with Tales prior to Symphonia, I don't believe we got all the games prior to that. But not being part of that fandom at the time, I didn't see it first hand. But at this point, getting new Tales games seems a lot more likely than getting new DQ games. I just can't argue with a 0 for 8 3DS DQ localizations being quite disheartening.
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Great episode, as always!

I like the little songs between questions! One comment on that though: Is it possible to post the list of songs used in the show notes or on this board, in case somebody wants to track it down? (To be fair, I wish the RPG Backtrack was doing this too).
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2015
    smacd wrote: »
    So I think that the biggest thing you missed in the comparison between Tales and DQ fans, is that not only do DQ fans have a lot more cause for concern- there is already a history of DQ not coming west in the mid 90s. We never got the original DQ5 and DQ6, despite marketing for Dragon Warrior 5 around 93-94. We're currently in the second dark ages. Those of us who are long term fans from the beginning in the 80s, remember the first dark ages and don't like to see it happen all over again.

You do bring up good points about sales being an issue. I don't have any response, I have no idea how to improve it. I've purchased every single DQ/DW that has come west since day 1. What I do know is that heavy marketing helped both 8 and 9.

Now, I'm not as familiar with Tales prior to Symphonia, I don't believe we got all the games prior to that. But not being part of that fandom at the time, I didn't see it first hand. But at this point, getting new Tales games seems a lot more likely than getting new DQ games. I just can't argue with a 0 for 8 3DS DQ localizations being quite disheartening.

I forgot about the marketing for DW5, I wasn't really into the series way back then sadly.

I'll have more of a response to some of this on the next show but anyway-

The only thing I can say outside of buying the games, which I've done for all as well, even the silly Wii game, is to encourage others to do the same and try to spread the fandom. Will talk some more about DQ and reply to your comments on that in the next show.

Tales series history is largely us getting the majority of major entries. The side-entries are by and large mostly garbage so the series has actually had a mostly healthy localization history in the West.
    Great episode, as always!

I like the little songs between questions! One comment on that though: Is it possible to post the list of songs used in the show notes or on this board, in case somebody wants to track it down? (To be fair, I wish the RPG Backtrack was doing this too).

Sure I can do that!
    sig.gif
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited August 2015
    Best q&a yet!

My favorite monsters has always been from ff6. They weren't animated but they were so well drawn.

I think vesperia is the best tales game, but at this point you can probably get a used 360 and the game(it was on Xbox live for 4 dollars recently) for not an outrageous amount. And you can play lost odyssey for cheap while you're at it.

Edit - I want to help draw the characters if there ever is a Rpgamer game ;)
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    The European names for the Final Fantasy spin-offs aren't particularly confusing:
    "Mystic Quest" was first and is "Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden" on the Gameboy.
    "Mystic Quest Legend" was next and is "Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest" on the SNES. (Pretending to be a sequel.)

And that's pretty much it for Final Fantasy & its spin-offs until the PlayStation... No "Final Fantasy" brand name to market the games against, no SaGa games in disguise, no skipping numbers to hide missing entries and obvious a lot less fun to be had too. :(

For likeable unique enemies, you reminded me of the Crawfuls in M&L:Bowser's Inside Story. It's basically a Fawful themed crocodile.
    Although maybe I only like them because of how satisfying it is to vacuum out their teeth and watch them fail to eat their health restoring beans.

And Bravely Default's name: While it is does seem like someone raided a dictionary for the obscure words, they do kind of make sense in retrospect as they are an instruction for the game. Although it doesn't tell you what you should be defaulting on, which would be a spoiler after all.
    There are probably comparisons to be made with Mass Effect's name. Putting two commonly used words together doesn't really help anyone guess what a Mass Effect is. (Or what does the titular mass, effect???) So it seems like a pretty nonsensical name at first, even if it is made clear when you play the game (which I admittedly haven't).
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited August 2015
    Question- do you ever think some games have to many skills. The newer tales games to me are starting to get over loaded with them. While entertaining, that battle system was bloated.

I also read different takes on ff7 remakes, and I often hear the idea that characters standing in a line attacking the enemy just has no place in modern rpgs. If it's fun, I don't see why it has no place, just because the mechanic has been used for years.

I wanted to clear it up that I wasn't talking just about turn based, but the actual visual style of characters lined up.