If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 355: "Break Glass In Case Of Sub Loss"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited August 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 355: "Break Glass In Case Of Sub Loss"

Gamescom has wrapped up but we're just getting started! Final Fantasy XII remaster rumors and eczema outbreaks were leading the headlines, but Blizzard, not one to be left out, had to go and announce an expansion for WoW. Also, new RPG Maker!

You can find the shownotes [URL=here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml[/URL]]

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Break Glass In Case Of Sub Loss"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I think the moba like dota 2 and league have really taken a chunk out of wows player base. I think there is crossover between the hardcore players. People will come back, and then leave. But 5 million players is still nothing to ignore.
  • CavalierCavalier New Member Full Members
    I think Chris was trying to remember the exciting new entry in the Halo franchise, Halo Wars 2.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    I think the moba like dota 2 and league have really taken a chunk out of wows player base. I think there is crossover between the hardcore players. People will come back, and then leave. But 5 million players is still nothing to ignore.

And I think this is the crux of the matter -- Activision has basically cannibailized their own game with Heartstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Destiny. And I also think they're okay with that because those games have the potential to make A LOT more money than WoW because of their price structure. If 5 million people moved over to those three games they're probably making more money overall than off of subs. All they need to do is pump out an expansion every 18 months and WoW won't be retiring any time soon -- and by the time it does, maybe we'll have Titan! ;P

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited August 2015
    Which is probably a more future proof plan than just relying on wow for as long as possible. They have a pretty diverse set of online games.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Paws wrote: »
    Budai wrote: »

And I think this is the crux of the matter -- Activision has basically cannibailized their own game with Heartstone, Heroes of the Storm, and Destiny. And I also think they're okay with that because those games have the potential to make A LOT more money than WoW because of their price structure. If 5 million people moved over to those three games they're probably making more money overall than off of subs. All they need to do is pump out an expansion every 18 months and WoW won't be retiring any time soon -- and by the time it does, maybe we'll have Titan! ;P

Well there's also the fact that more options means they're more likely to be playing one of their things, and not instead quitting WoW to go play something they don't make money from.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Yes indeed. For a while it kind of felt like everything was so WoW-centric that losing subscribers was a real concern. Now even though it looks bad, it's clearly not the financial disaster it could have been had this happened five or six years ago.