If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - Episode 18: FFWhy

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
So, the Final Fantasy VII remake is finally happening. We have thoughts and feelings about this.

Audibles
Archivables
Subscribables

Talking points from the episode:
-Tens of millions of dollars and years of effort to make no one happy may as well be the official SE motto at this point.
-New and ruined vs old and busted
-Who is this game for?
-Sales versus acclaim
-Sure it’s profitable but now you’ve lost the chain that forces people to buy spinoffs
-New people in old shoes - ie nomura is a hack with responsibility far beyond his skillset compared to decades past
-Huzzah for a fresh translation
-Boo for a dozen (bad-ish) spinoffs worth of lore to re-incorporate.
-Modernization? how does this game hold up under new aesthetics and gameplay trends?
-Hopes?

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    No doubt, my biggest concern is advent children leaking all over the remake. Advent children had more in tone with a Michael bay film than it did the original game.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    - Episode came down from a prominent program as episode 17, and putting this Kobayashi Maru on Kickstarter would have been hi-larious

- The order happens because of lag in whatever program you're using for the call (SKYPE!) - the lag means Sam gets there first, then Trent, then Mac.

- As someone who doesn't own a PS4, I'd probably buy the PC port on PS4 over the remake because at least the remake won't be eighty goddamn Canadian dollars. (If I'm lucky.) Though honestly, if they just lit up PS1 Classics on the system that's the best case scenario.

- Sam shipping Gackt / Troy Baker had me rolling.

- Thank you Scott for mentioning that Tom Slattery checked if the bard was spoony.

- Nomura running the remake script... at least it's not the person who wrote that FFX sequel where Tidus kicks a ball that blows his own head off. See, it can be worse.

- Aerith dying - are we taking bets on how much the revival DLC will cost? I'm opening the bidding at $19.99.

- Ghost-Aerith giving Sephiroth the Fingerpoke of Doom and him keeling over dead would be an improvement over the forced Omnislash at the endgame.

- I don't want to see new content, I'd like some things removed. Like the snowboarding game, what's the damn point? Also, does Sam want to play *as* Yuffie in the materia theft sidequest?

- Season pass content: Cid cigarettes instead of e-cigs, Japanese language track, playable Lightning. Logic? What logic? (I wrote that before Mac proposed dressing Cloud up as Lightning in the Honeybee Inn). Know how you can buy a cash card in GTAV? I'm picturing something like that for the Gold Saucer.

- Cait Sith is the only character I intentionally parked at his level 1 Limit Break.

- You know what? Screw it. FIVE PLAYER PARTIES. Who gives a damn about balance, I just want to do the ten Knights of the Round for killing Emerald Weapon with five different characters so I can do my laundry, make a three course dinner and do my taxes while that battle ends.

- Just throwing this out here since the panel didn't mention it: The remake's first on PS4. Where is it second?
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Troy Baker delivered an incredible performance as Gul'Dan in World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor, so sure, I'd love to see more of him in the FF7 remake or any RPG.

Thank you very much for putting all podcasts on the RPGamer website's sidebar. It makes them so much easier to find and check for updates.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Psp ff7 in cris core engine. That would have been one of my last choices for the direction it could have ever went. I prefer prerendered backgrounds over psp low detailed 3d spaces.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I'm just going to enjoy the circus when this game finally hits stores. I doubt I'll have a PS4 even then, so I won't be playing it, but the flame wars are sure to be entertaining.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    I agree that FFVI is better than FFVII, and that Deus Ex is better than both of them. Good podcast.

Regardless of how it turns out, this remake comes from a bad place. Barely three years ago Wada said they wouldn't consider remaking FFVII until they'd made a game that was even bigger and more successful. They've now flip-flopped on this position so hard that they're actually allowing the remake to overshadow the next big FF game. It's difficult not to be cynical about that.