If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 356: "The Numbers Go Up!"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited August 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 356: "The Numbers Go Up!"

Chris clicks. Anna Etrians. Alice phasers. Alex sits. Manny explains why he played 67 hours of Chaos Rings III. Also I think FFXV has Ryu in it. I may be a bit confused though.

You can find the shownotes here:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml]

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "The Numbers Go Up!"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

(Fixed shownotes link - Severin)
179811.png

Comments

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I studied Japanese for a year in college.

The hardest part is memorizing all the kanji for the writing system. It takes an immense amount of time and effort, and it's virtually required to read almost anything. I believe knowing some 1500+ kanji is necessary to read a newspaper. Learning the alphabets is fairly easy, but very little written material uses only the alphabets.

Learning enough spoken Japanese to pick up the gist of what's going on in an anime is significantly easier. Also, learning to pronounce Japanese is very easy, since it has very simple pronunciation rules with virtually no exceptions.

The biggest problem with learning Japanese in America (or most other nations) is that finding someone to speak it with you is difficult. (Unless you're in Hawaii, maybe?) It's very difficult to master a language to the point where you can get a good job with the skill, if you can't talk to people in it on a regular basis.

I honestly can't recommend learning Japanese over whatever language is more commonly spoken in your area (such as Spanish for parts of the US, or French in Canada) unless you have an immense personal passion for Japanese language and culture. Having a passion for an obscure line of JRPGs that will never be translated is one thing; but just liking RPGs in general isn't really enough of a justification by itself.

TLDR: I recommend learning the alphabets and how to pronounce Japanese if you want, but don't bother with any further study unless you find it fun.
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited August 2015
    I've been studying Japanese on and off on my own for years and, while I've managed to pass JLPT N5 (barely, and with a lot of luck), there's no way I can read a newspaper or play a game without a guide (my copy of DQ VII for 3DS is making a sad face).

IMHO, the reality is that learning Japanese on your own requires a lot of motivation and, unless you have to do it for specific reasons other than 'I want to play videogames in Japanese', it's probably not going to work very well, especially if you're already in a relatively demanding job. Spending my day working on a computer coding useless and boring business crap for my clients means that when I get home, spending more time studying is not exactly appealing as a way to spend my free time, and I expect I'm not the only one in this case.

TLDR: While I generally agree with Alice that learning another language is valuable (my first language is French, and I could not imagine what my life would be if I had not learned English), it might not be feasible dependending on the situation, especially for something that requires extra effort like Japanese.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Vagrant story is tough to play these days.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    My brief experience with Vagrant Story was "WTF?" followed by "Yeah, no."

If anyone really wants to play it instead of just watching its cutscenes on YouTube, then the only advice I have is to print out some FAQs and do what they say. It will kill the pain. Well, mostly.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited August 2015
    Hmm, why to play Vagrant Story. It's one of twenty games ever to receive a perfect score from Famitsu. It's by Matsuno, who at this point is the only game developer whose name alone is enough to get me to buy a game. If you've enjoyed any of the games set in the world he built in his Ogre games (hint hint: Ogre Battle 64) that might hold some sway with you. Alexander O. Smith is responsible for the translation — and if you don't know who he is, 'tis thy faith and birth that wrong thee, not I. If you plan to play Final Fantasy 12 again, playing Vagrant Story will help you understand some of the references.

Having said that, I haven't played it. My friends have always told me it's the best game ever and suggested it, but even after finding out it's a Matsuno game I've held off. I think it might be the only accessible game in his collection I haven't played. When I hear people describe this game or Disgaea, they just don't sound enjoyable. Disgaea turned out to be a lot more fun than "going into the magical world inside a stick of gum and fighting 100 randomly-generated stages," so I think I'll give Vagrant Story a try: well, assuming I manage to remember to buy it before the sale ends. Did the sale end? Hmm.

Every now and then Sare and I get the itch to play Legend of Mana (or Secret, if someone is staying with us). I plan to grab Chrono Trigger, Cross, and Vagrant Story during the sale so if we want something new in the same vein as "great old people RPGs" we have some options. You're welcome to join me! It's just going to be December before I can get around to playing.

Does Matsuno have a Patreon? 'cause I think I'd probably pay him just to keep making games so I have something to play in my 30's.

I think the full extent of my Japanese knowledge comes from being hit on by students studying Japanese in college back in Georgia. "Tasty" "Peach" "Attractive" - none of the words I learned back then have done me much good in my real life.
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    I'm still going to recommend foregoing Fallout 3 in favor of New Vegas if you only have time for one of them before Fallout 4. When you say Obsidian's strength is it's storytelling, that extends to the questing and the way the game world reacts to your actions (which go hand in hand with gameplay). Bethesda's stength is in creating huge open worlds that are fun to explore. I really wish they had better writers, because those worlds they create are mostly filled with bland stories and forgettable characters (which is part of why it's so easy to pick get back into these games after long breaks).
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I also greatly perfer new Vegas.