If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 149: It's a Puzzle

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited August 2015 in Latest Updates
Once upon a time, the idea of melding RPG mechanics with objects dropping out of the sky in matchable shapes and colors would have seemed absurd. After multiple Puzzle Quests, the idea can still seem absurd, but that's no longer the automatic reaction.
Rats play with puzzles too?
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Two podcast! It's like Christmas. And one of them has Anna too. Thanks, made my morning work out two days in a row so much better.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Aww, I'm blushing XD
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    Hmm, have you considered joining the Paws Fan Club, Budai?
    Well I do call into her show enough I figured I was already in it.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I did enjoy Puzzle Quest Galactrix, but it was painfully repetitive. The worst part was the "hack leapgates" minigames. You HAD to hack leapgates in order to travel anywhere, and while not particularly difficult, it was pretty time consuming. You had to do this over and over. And then the leapgates would eventually RESPAWN, forcing you to hack them again and again.

Galactrix had a means to avoid combat. I unlocked it fairly early, which may be why I liked the game more than others did.

Puzzle Chronicles had a fatal gameplay flaw: the play area of the winning side would grow while the play area of the losing side would shrink. Since the player needs space to create combos, this meant that whichever side got an early lead would usually steamroll the other side.

Puzzle Chronicles' single player mode was mildly entertaining on Casual difficulty, and not remotely worth it on any higher difficulty setting. The story was a generic ripoff of any Conan the Barbarian narrative.

Gyromancer had a VERY nasty choke point that could make the game unwinnable early on. The easiest way to avoid it was to do a little extra grinding in the first couple levels. The main game does not require any microtransactions to finish, but if you want all its achievements, then definitely save the most powerful items for achievement-hunting in the postgame. The strongest items were in limited supply, outside of microtransactions.

I was hoping for a recommendation on which Puzzle Quest 2 class is easiest/best to use? I have the game but haven't been able to get into it despite trying a couple times. I don't want to give up on it because, well, it's Puzzle Quest.
    Might and magic is the humble bundle sale at the moment.