If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

PS Vita RPG's

Hello, I am thinking about buying a PS Vita for playing RPG's. I am a bit older and do not have the energy to dive deeply into a game. Yet I still love RPG's. Used to play Baldur's Gate and such. I also like dungeon crawlers. When surfing the internet, PS Vita atelier games look attractive. I like cuteness all right, but are there also western games for the Vita? I loved Dungeon Hack years ago. Also Stonekeep. And Daggerfall. I cannot play on the computer anymore. Need to be on the couch. I like atmosphere, also that the game gives a friendly feeling. I like woods and castles. Not sure if my kind of game exists for the Vita. A friendly atmosphere is really important. It is like I am looking for a children's game for grown ups. Thanks ahead!

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2015
    I love myself some VITA. Yesterday, I tweeted several screenshots of my game icons...just to provide reasons why I think every RPGamer should own a VITA. You can find them on my tweety page at https://twitter.com/jcservant . With access to nearly the entire back catalog of PS1 PSN RPGs, PS2 ports such as FFX, and new RPGs like Tales of Hearts R, the Vita is a real RPG Powerhouse.

However, admittedly, the Vita is short on WRPGs, par se. But, you will find that the case with just about every handheld system. They're chalked full of JRPGs, DRPGs and SRPGs but very few WRPGs. And the few I played (such as D&D Tactics on the PSP) were not very good.

With that said, if you like BG, I think you will like many of the SRPGs. Most notably, the entire Disgaea series, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and Front Mission 3 spring to mind. You may also enjoy the tactical depth of the DRPGs such as Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss. Operation Abyss, in particular, lifts inspiration from older versions of D&D (e.g., vancian spell casting system).

Admittedly though, these are all pretty JRPG in flavor (Since you mentioned setting and atmosphere) You will not find the low magic atmosphere of The Witcher or the dark tones of BG's plot here. Tactics Ogre probably comes the closest, IIRC. Others, range from modern (Persona 3 & 4, Front Mission 3) to a light hearted version of Hades (Disgaea) to typical JRPG high fantasy.

Let me know how it works out for you. And, of course, I have to plug our podcast, RPGBacktrack, where we talk about many of the more classic RPGs that you can find on the Vita. Rumor has it that we might be talking about one of the games mentioned here on our very next show! :)
  • woutwolfwoutwolf Full Members
    Hello JCServant. Thank you so much for your reply. This is very helpful. I am glad to know this now! Please excuse me for my late reply to yours here. I think I will buy a Vita and enjoy the rpg's as they are.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Awesome, Woutwolf. If you wish, feel free to follow me ( @jcservant ) and Mac ( @finalmacstorm , IIRC) on twitter. We are both big fans of #TeamHandheld. Mac, in particular, regularly posts links and articles about new and exciting games on the Vita.