If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 13: The Real One - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we further discuss Dragon Quest and Tales. Your host also makes a case for Destiny Year Two.

Episode 13: The Real One - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Music in this episode:

Destiny - Sepiks prime cover by bulb
    Town theme from Etrian Odyssey Untold 2
    Battle theme 1 from Etrian Odyssey Untold 2
    Pokemon theme song
    Paul McCartney Hope for the Future from Destiny
    Battle theme 2 from Etrian Odyssey Untold 2
    sig.gif
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    dude, like 40 minutes of destiny? dooooooood.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Hah! I would have mentioned Odessa from Wild ARMs 2, for certain. The fact that
    the entire villain group was organized to unite the world against an immediate threat so it could fight a nearly unbelievable one
    was a great twist.
  • PhilFancypantsPhilFancypants New Member Full Members
    If you like that destiny Cover by bulb, the guy who did the cover is in the progressive metal band called periphery
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited August 2015
    I'll always like my rpgs characters lined up! And you dern kids gets off my lawn.
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    dude, like 40 minutes of destiny? dooooooood.

I could have gone on much longer you know.
    Hah! I would have mentioned Odessa from Wild ARMs 2, for certain. The fact that
    the entire villain group was organized to unite the world against an immediate threat so it could fight a nearly unbelievable one
    was a great twist.

REALLY want to play through that game now
    If you like that destiny Cover by bulb, the guy who did the cover is in the progressive metal band called periphery

oh cool, will have to check them out!
    Budai wrote: »
    I'll always like my rpgs characters lined up! And you dern kids gets off my lawn.

We all do, it's classy! But like we said on the show, it was really something strictly done due to technological limits. RPG developers tried to move away from it way as early as possible (just look at Chrono Trigger) but it still has its place in some games, primarily retro and low budget affairs.
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Wild Arms 2 is probably the best game in the series, but it has some really wonky stuff going on. That localization... It was fine when I was a kid and didn't really know what the "Kuiper Belt" was in real life, but that terms usage in Wild Arms 2 was like... wtf?

Maybe one day I'll have a question.(?)
    I hope one day you do have a question! We're running on empty at this point.
    sig.gif
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    did someone say we're empty on questions? This sounds like a job for..... super lowl whoops! (though I say lawl whoops)
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Wheels wrote: »
    I hope one day you do have a question! We're running on empty at this point.

Well, you literally asked for it.

Slashdot led me to an article called "Your target audience doesn't exist" at

https://medium.com/steam-spy/your-target-audience-doesn-t-exist-999b78aa77ae

It seems primarily focused on PC games, but it postulates that a target audience for game genres does not exist; instead, the majority of gamers are fans of specific games or game series.

For example, most World of Warcraft players play WoW and no other MMORPGs. When WoW lost an avalanche of subscribers (the Warlords of Draenor expansion briefly spiked the total to 10 million subs but is currently at 5-6 millions subs, as I understand it) there was not a corresponding uptick of 4-5 million subs in other MMORPGs. Most competing MMORPGs have had to go free-to-play.

On the other hand, MMORPGs might not be the best example, since they are by their very nature massive, endless timesinks - something very different from a 10-40 hour game.

My question: do you think the article's author is accurate about the fans of other genres of games, especially RPGs other than MMORPGs? Are there really so few "RPGamers" out there that it would be more accurate to talk about "Final Fantasy gamers", "Tales gamers", "Persona gamers", etc.?

I'm rather skeptical myself, but I would like to hear your thoughts on this article.
    Have you ever quit a game that you were almost all the way to the end of? Even if you went back and finished it later.
    Most powerful shining force character?

Peter comes to mind for me.