If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Grandia II Anniversary Edition

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
This isn't likely to be a proper review blog per se, but I figured it's a good game to have a discussion thread for while I play through it.

So far I've only put in about an hour or so to the game so there's not much to comment on at this point outside of nothing that apparently thinking up a single name for an age was too difficult, so they used three instead. Also I managed to get an early game over thanks to one-hit KO from the first spider I faced inside the tower. While annoying due to having to watch some events again, it did impress the importance of trying to prevent enemies from actually getting turns in the battle system.

I've also considered how much time is added on to these older games base purely on the fractions of a second longer it takes to get through dialog boxes. Not really a big deal here affecting enjoyment or anything, but certainly noticeable when playing Steins;Gate on the Vita at the same time.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Some acutal progress to report on! Now around eight hours are part way through the events in Mirumu Village (with the whole dreams thing).

Definitely started holding my interest now, particularly since the battle system unlocked fully. There are a couple of things that can annoy a bit, like if a character gets trapped against another running somewhere else and misses a turn. However, these are generally few and far between and can be avoided by paying more attention to things. Outside of the usual issue from that era of unskippable length spell animations, I'm really enjoying relatively speediness and action of the battle system without things being too chaotic and really seeing why it has such a high reputation.

Also rather enjoying the game's soundtrack, it doesn't sound like it's got the biggest number of tracks but those I have heard I've been very happy to have just repeating in the background. One thing I'm not too sold on so far is the world-building, a lot of places just feel a little generic at the moment, but that's sort of a trade of for the game moving things along at a fairly decent pace so it's more a trying to find things to criticise. The overall setting has slowly been getting more interesting as the game goes along so perhaps something I'll have changed by mind on later.

If anyone else if playing feel free to note your progress and any thoughts you have on things or the game in general.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    So the battle against the
    Eye of Valmar
    is a -ing pain. Grinding time I guess.