If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 359: "Penguin Top Hat"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
RPGCast - Episode 359: "Penguin Top Hat"

Anna Marie struggles with "The Toad Hand". Alex Fuller continues to abstain from seasonal Madden play. Chris gets two wife's worth of criticism. And Shawn Cooper...well...he's on this one. Take appropriate precautions.

You can find the shownotes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Penguin Top Hat"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390
179811.png

Comments

• ChaosDroneChaosDrone New Member Full Members
    Great show this week! It was great having Lusipurr back on. I'm looking forward to next week when RPGcast is live in Canada.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for the shout out Anna! I'm still wrapping up other games before I decide to go with grandia 1 or just go on to two and xstreme.(beat both, not grandia 1) I'm doing the replay through dragon quest 7 which I started this spring and stopped around 30 hrs in. I play quick, and I'm back to it and probably about 70% done at around 52 hours. Not only is the game long, but there is so much to do that it makes it seem even longer.

But I still love the game. The music and art just take me to the place I like to be.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    For Chris: to check whether you can claim a Recruit-A-Friend (RAF) mount in World of Warcraft:

1) Go to www.worldofwarcraft.com, click on "Your Account" in the upper right, and log in to Battlenet

2) Click on your Battlenet name in the upper right, and from the drop-down menu pick "Account Settings"

3) It will show a list of Blizzard game accounts. Click on your active World of Warcraft account. (If you've ever done Recruit-a-Friend on yourself, there will also be other WoW accounts; ignore them).

4) Click on the "Referrals and Rewards" button. This should bring up text that lets you know whether you have a RAF reward pending or available to claim.

You can also visit Blizzard's official RAF information page at

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/recruit-a-friend

for general instructions on how the program works.

RAF mounts are definitely NOT free. They cost the price of one basic WoW account (no expansions required), plus the price of two months of game time on the "recruited" account. (The "recruiting" account does get one free month of game time, though.) The only question is, are YOU paying for all that, or is your friend paying?

Note that you can use the new WoW token system to pay for the 2 months of game time with in-game gold instead of with real-life money. This is nice because it means you will get your RAF mount faster. If the 2 months of game time is paid for with a credit card, Blizzard will not give you the mount until over 2 months have passed. I assume this is to prevent chargebacks.

If you use WoW tokens or subscription Gift Cards to pay for the 2 months of game time, you'll still have to wait 10 days or so.

You can "recruit" yourself to get these mounts. I've done this multiple times. Blizzard doesn't care, they'll gladly take your money. It just means you'll have an extra account on your Battlenet tag that you do nothing with after its subscription runs out.

If you buy a digital WoW account on sale for use in a RAF, make absolutely sure to use the "gift" option. If you don't "gift" it then it will activate immediately and be ineligible for a RAF.

RAF currently offers five mounts: the Obsidian Nighting (shapeshift & fly with a friend), the rocket (fly with a friend), the Emerald Hippogryph (flies), and the Cindermane Charger (flies) and the Swift Zhevra (ground only).

RAF also offers some unique pets, but I really don't recommend bothering with any of them. You only get one in-game item for each RAF you do.

If you don't want to RAF but do want to fly around with a friend, your only option is the Sandstone Drake shapeshift mount. The item that grants this mount is "Vial of the Sands", and it's usually available on auction for a high price. Learning the alchemist recipe requires an immense amount of effort doing archaeology, so don't try to make one yourself unless you have a lot of time to kill.
    Have any of you played valkyrie profile. It's another ps1 jrpg I barely touched, but also meaning to get to. It use to be pretty popular(I know Sam loves it) but some people saying it didn't age well.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    The one thing I don't like about valkyrie profile is that you pretty much need a FAQ to get the best ending.

If that doesn't bother you, it's probably worth a try.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Valkyrie Profile is a great game...if you play with a guide and get the good ending. Otherwise, it's all right. I love the battles, it's fun to level up and see all the different character stuff, but the basic ending is very unfulfilling if it's your only one.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    Best endings aren't a big deal to me if it's just the ending and easily watched on youtube. If it's a huge chunk of gameplay, then it might.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    all the best story scenes and battles are in the true ending path. In order to get the true ending, you have to work the whole game to get it. I say it's worth it.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited September 2015
    Hmmm, I'll keep that in mind.

So I just took a look at a guide, while I don't know how difficult it is to do in practice, the amount of steps doesn't seem outrageous.