If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 153: Demon Seed

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
The Shin Megami Tensei brand has spread over a great number of platforms, and two recent entries on the 3DS are the subject this time. One finds the series counting to four, and the other brings a title originally on the Saturn out in English at last, showing that newer isn't always better.
Demons underfoot? It's a problem.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2015
    I tightened up the intro song/opening a bit so it runs faster. Now it's under 2 minutes, ROFL. :)

Really had fun hearing about more SMT games on this one.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I loved the intro skit (which could easily have been titled "Every Shin Megami Tensei Game in 30 Seconds"), but what is Alex Fuller saying? All I could make out was

"I can't help but wonder if there's a better way to [???]."

In the spirit of the RPGs-by-monthly-theme discussion, I thought I'd mention two Halloween-themed DS RPGs: Witches & Vampires for the DS and its sequel for the DSi. I just finished Witches & Vampires, and I'm about to start the sequel.

Witches & Vampires is clearly meant to appeal to teen and pre-teen Twilight fans. Battles are turn-based and menu driven, but virtually every combat action requires drawing with the stylus. Fail, and you lose your turn. Fortunately, most required stylus drawing is fairly easy.

The game is not difficult, and is somewhat short overall, but its fatal flaw is that battles are EXTREMELY slow, plagued by fight animations and loading times that seem to drag on forever. They make the battles in Sonic Chronicles look fast. I am convinced that all of you would hate it.

I wanted to play the sequel, so I tried to buy "Witches & Vampires 2: Ghost Pirates of Ashburry". An internet search suggested that "Witches & Vampires 2" was only released in Europe and Australia, and it's a region locked DSi game.

Then I learned that the sequel *was* released in the US, but by a different publishing company (THQ) and under a completely different name: "Vampire Legends: Power of Three". There has to be a story behind that.

TLDR: If you want to enjoy two Halloween-themed RPGs, skip these and play Costume Quest 1 & 2 instead.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    I don't even remember, I want to say something about defeating demons (in a skit about SMT? madness!). In my defence, it was 3am.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I hate to say it, but I sort of getting burnt out of the smt formula. Which is not good with persona 5 around the bend. It's all the demon funsion that's getting to me. Each time I start up a new one, I get a little over whelmed at all the new demons and what comes with fusing them.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I never harp on other peoples reviews. But I do enjoy them. I just like to hear opinionated talk on RPGs. Part of why I love this podcast.