If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 16: The Legend of Destiny - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest, Michael Baker joins us to talk about Japanese RPGs, especially those with SaGa in the name. We also discuss what a Project Runway based on video game companies would look like.

Episode 16: The Legend of Destiny - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Thanks for answering my question regarding forgotten PS1 RPGs!

One quick note: When Dave listed the SquareEnix PSOne games released on the PSN store, I think you forgot Threads of Fate, Chrono Cross and Front Mission 3. No Bushido Blade, unfortunately, and no SaGa Frontier either (as Wheels mentioned). Luckily I managed to get copies of those.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Digimon World Dawn and Dusk came out around the same time as Pokemon Diamond and Pearl here in North America. It was completely overshadowed by the giant, of course, but a lot of people preferred the Digimon games. The combat is faster, there's an insane amount of customization with the moves your digimon can get, and you can even make the small unevolved ones as super powers. The monsters look fantastic too. It's a shame they never got noticed, since they were pretty good.

I want metal max games. we should find a company who translates and releases japanese games in the west and convince them to take it on as a business venture and release it upon complete translation.

Final Fantasy games just do whatever they want. I like turn based games, but I don't look to Final Fantasy to fill that particular need.

At about this point I started hearing some static? Weird.

Pre-orders: I pre-order games I know I want no matter what. I also pre-order games that I intend to support because the type of game or the developer needs it to continue to bring games I want over. I usually never pre-order AAA games and certain publishers. I also don't "pre-order" anything that is purely digital. Usually those I buy when I feel like it.

instead of an amnesiac character why not have a character with no amnesia and everyone else in the world does instead. That would be kinda fun, right?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    instead of an amnesiac character why not have a character with no amnesia and everyone else in the world does instead. That would be kinda fun, right?

Robert Silverberg did something like this in his novella, "How It Was When the Past Went Away." In that story, a madman dumped a half-dozen types of mind-altering drugs into a city's public water supply, giving the entire population varying levels of memory-wipe, ranging from "forget the last few months" to "who am I and why am I waking up in this thing with the soft, comfy bottom under me and the thin warm thing on top of me?"
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    My idea for an inverted plot was: Instead of an amnesiac character visiting distant lands(/worlds) to prevent the predicted disaster, your character goes to prevent those disasters by giving someone else amnesia and tricking them into fixing it.

After all it would prompt too many questions(/problems) if you happen to turn up knowing the future, save the day and disappear off again. Far too suspicious!
    But throw the local child/teenager/hobbit at a problem and no-one will even bat an eyelid. Who's really going to care about that strange old man hiding in a cave, with a convenient plot item for the hero?!

(Of course I'm rubbish at writing plots/etc, so unfortunately I won't be taking this anywhere myself.)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    The fantasy series Malazan book of the fallen has a character with no memory. And he's constantly manipulated by different sides because he's so powerful.
    Question- do you think classes like paladin and warrior are nostaglic in games, or do you two wish for different classes to play. It maybe just a name change, but I'm curious if branching out with classes would actually change up the skill system. Then eterian series tries to mix it up. And I think they do a decent job.
    I think that question may have already been asked before.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Maybe but I'll answer it again if so, why not!
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    How do you two view backlash against reviews? Do you think people get so emotional because they want a certain product to be great?

Even with consoles, and console war arguments, it always seems like people want to justify their own purchase. Almost like defending a certain choice, because of the money and time investment.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    I've been catching up on my podcasts. Work's been busy. Entertaining and fun to listen to as always! A few questions for y'all, too.

First: Legend of Legacy sounds really fun. You mentioned the story isn't a big draw point. How are the characters and the world? Is it pretty engaging? Or is this more about the combat than anything else?

Second: What makes a good crafting system? Specifically leaving MMORPGs aside, as I think MMO crafting is a different beast. I think y'all hinted at this in this episode, but hey.

Third: Do you like adding monster collecting to non-monster collecting games? For example, the bits of it in Dragon Quest V and Lufia II. There may be more I'm forgetting off the top of my head.