If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Old VCR/DVD combo VS. New TV. Help!

maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The StarsSomewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
So okay. I didn't know this until today, but seems we got a problem here.

I have a old VCR/DVD combo. The VCR part will only work with RCA cables. Unfortunately...My tv doesn't have RCA ports, only composite and HDMI! I'd really like to be able to USE that vcr! (It's kinda a random fail here b/c I just got my paws on a PS2 and I couldn't get it to work either!!!!)

Does anyone know of adapters or such so I could at least get the VCR to work? I've sent for a RFU adapter so I could get the bleeping PS2 to work, but I still am annoyed about the VCR...
93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
My personal page
New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.

Comments

• flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    I'd buy a VCR with composite output. It's a common feature to have for VCRs sold today.
    And sell or donate your old one.
    You don't need the DVD function because you probably have a PC and game console with this function. If not, then spring for the combo again.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited October 2015
    I actually got this one for free as a gift, but I'll save up and check. It's annoying as *BLEEP!* though and yes, I'm annoyed. I have a PS4 and will have a PS3 next week, so DVD/Blue Ray playing is not a problem. We have a metric asston of videotapes, which is why I wanted a VCR tho.

Also I don't see VCRs much new now a days, sadly. But I just checked Monoprice and saw a 30 buck adapter that'll let me use it with HDMI ports. That might be the ticket if I can't find a VCR.
    My personal page
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    By the way, fun fact, the PS3's composite cables work for the PS2. It won't work on every game, but the "newer" PS2 titles that had Progressive Scan will work. Just check the back of the box near where it mentions the amount of memory space the game will take. For example, since I used a PS2 in college but wanted a good picture on my HDTV, I used PS3 composite cables for stuff like Tales of the Abyss and Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. Now, it did not work for the older and fairly low-tech Shadow Hearts: Covenant, but a lot of the PS2 classics should fly.
    ClixPsi.png
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    BTW, happy ending. Turns out the TV supports RCA in color after all. I yelled on BG (since there's a lot of people that know such stuff over there) and I finally figured out the problem. I had a bad case of Read The Frickin' Manual with the TV. :\">

I had to put the yellow cord in a unusual spot but now it works, and I can play videotapes again (and worst case, can daisychain the PS2 though the VCR).

My personal page
  • ACPACP A Crustacean in a Pot Full Members
    Yay MD! We now return to our videotaped program...
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain