If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nyx's Beat All The Games Before The End of The Year-A-Thon

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
So there's not a lot of time left in the year and since I've started working two jobs, it's been keeping me quite busy. However, I've started a lot of games this year, and I want to finish them. I'm going to share with you guys how far I am in each game and while I'd like to finish all of them, I'm not sure it'll be possible. So maybe you guys can give me a hand as to figure out what I should focus on when I'm not on a review assignment. Here's the games and where I'm at:

Undertale (PC) -- I'm at the Maddy Dummy boss fight and finding it quite tricky. Since the battles can be quite reflex based, this one is getting to be extra annoying given that I can go through the whole first half of the fight without issue but once I hit the missile section, I bomb it hard.

Tales of Zestiria (PS4) -- Just finished the Mariland section, more specifically completing the Dumnonia Museum. I recognize this one is a longer game but I'm enjoying it quite a bit (especially the combat system). Checking a FAQ, it looks like I'm a good chunk of the way through part one.

Life is Strange (PS4) -- I am at Episode 3! Loving this game!

Tales from the Borderlands (PC) -- Up to Episode 2! Also loving this one.

Moco Moco Friends (3DS) -- Up to Chapter 7 (but I'm reviewing this one so um, yeah, need to finish it)

Knights of Pen and Paper 2 (PC) -- around seven hours into this one and it's definitely a much more absorbing game (I think) than the first one. Really good for quick play.

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2) -- in the final dungeon! But I need to grind because this game went from being stupid easy to monsters kicking my butt in this final area. So grinding! It's a thing I need to do!

Game of Thrones (PS4) -- just waiting for the last episode to drop and then I am done!

Dragon Quest IX (DS) -- I started this last year and want to go back to it! I'm not very far though, as I'm only at Stornway. But after beating Heroes on PS4, the DQ craving has been back in full force.

Xenoblade 3D -- Not too far into this one, but I've enjoyed what I played. I'm only as far as Coloney 9 after it's been attacked. So yeah, not a lot fo progress here.

And then the worst part is, of course, that there are other games coming out that I still want to play! Like Fallout 4! Which will be like, ninty hours of my life lost!

So yeah, help me out guys. Help me priotrizes what I could potentially finish by the end of this year. I'd love to make a larger dent in this backlog, but I keep replaying Code: Realize because omg I wanna date Lupin! But yeah, I doubt beating all of these is do-able, but I'm curious what you all think is more worth my time and energy for the time being.

Comments

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    You can do it! You can do it!

And I want to hear what you think of Moco Moco! I've been recommending it for my niece, so I should probably find out if it's any good ;)
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited November 2015
    Since you're reviewing MocoMoco that one should obviously go to the top of the list... Ideally you want to finish it soon so you can have the review done by the time the game is released, yeah?

Once you finish that one, just play the ones you're having the most fun. It sounds like Undertale has become frustrating to you so I'd put that at the bottom of the list. And unless you actually like grinding (I hate it personally) Atelier Iris should be 2nd from the bottom.

Since KoPnP2 is good for quick plays it sounds perfect for someone who is kinda busy with jobs. And I'm assuming GoT is also a quick play.. so those two can also go near the top..

And you might as well try to finish the games that you are further into first..

So IMO your games order priority list should look something like this:

*1: MocoMocoFriends
    2. Knights of Pen & Paper 2
    3. Game of Thrones (assuming final episode released)
    4. Life is Strange
    5 Tales from the Borderlands
    6. Tales of Zestria
    7. Dragon Quest IX
    8. Xenoblade 3D
    9. Atelier Iris
    10. Undertale

I haven't played any of the above so my list is fairly objective in the sense that I'm not just telling you to play my personal preference first.

I only wish my own advice was helpful to finishing more of the games I'm playing, but my issue tends to be that when I'm enjoying a game where I have any sorts of choices to make (whether classes / builds or a narrative choice) I'm compelled to constantly restart it with different classes / choices...

But if I'm really not enjoying a game, I usually tend to stop playing it completely, since games are supposed to be fun.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    I would put priority on finishing the episodic games first, starting with the ones that are complete. Those are fairly short entries, and if it helps to alternate between them so you don't burn out, that works too.

1) Tales from the Borderlands
    2) Life is Strange
    3) Game of Thrones

Next, I would focus on any games you are the reviewer for. Not sure which these are but it sounds like MocoMoco and Knights of Pen & Paper 2?

4) Knights of Pen & Paper 2
    5) MocoMoco Friends

After that, I would focus on the games that sound like they have the shortest time investment left.
    6) Atelier Iris

And then... I dunno, the rest of my list would be based on my order of preference:
    7) Dragon Quest 9
    8) Tales of Zestiria
    9) Xenoblade

And lastly, Undertale sounds insanely boring and overrated, I'd probably abandon it. But that's me. Hopefully Wheels can answer my question on the next Q&A about why I should be even remotely interested in it.

That all said, if Colony 9 is the opening town in Xenoblade (I can't recall), I'd consider shelving it for the time being. Its a great game, but clear up your active game list a little.

I'd also encourage you to wait on Fallout 4- as exciting as a new Bethesda open world game is- expect a few quality patches over the next few weeks/months, and remember that its a good 100-250 hour game. Do yourself a favor and wait till you clear up this list a bit. The game will still be there at the beginning of 2016, and given the huge amount of DLC and mods that will come, there really isn't a huge rush other than to be part of the cool kids talking about it.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Atelier Iris actually can have quite a bit of time investment. There is sort of a midpoint that takes some grinding
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    Atelier Iris actually can have quite a bit of time investment. There is sort of a midpoint that takes some grinding

I assumed that it wouldn't be much of a time investment, since she said she was in the Final Dungeon. Though I haven't played the Iris games.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I am really liking all the suggestions. We'll see how I do. I'll probably keep this thread active as I go through the games (but yes Moco and Knights of PnP are review games so I've been pushing my focus towards those when I haven't come crashing home after a long day at work).

I'm curious if any of you also have other games you're determined to finish by the end of the year? Or if you have a small list of games you want to accomplish.
    I'm usually not concerned much with finishing games. So far this year I think the only games I've played to completion are Celestian Tales: Old North and Legends of Eisenwald (I still want to get the alternate ending and now that DLC was just released I'll probably play it some more soon).

The games that I'm currently playing / intend to start playing soon:

Age of Decadence I love this game, but I keep restarting to try out different builds / backgrounds. And apparently Iron Tower Studios intend to keep updating the game until at least the end of January, which almost makes me want to hold off for a bit.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong I am enjoying this game a lot, but not quite as much as Dragonfall. Like Age of Decadence, I've started over quite a few times with different archetypes. I have a couple characters who are pretty near the end. Since the Shadows of Hong Kong DLC is coming out early next year, I just want to finish it before that is released.

Blackguards Pretty decent SRPG. My interest started to wane when a party member gets killed (in a cutscene) w/ absolutely no way to prevent it.

Telepath Tactics: A nice SRPG with a lot of unique (or at least unusual) tactical options. Haven't played very far but I'd like to if I can find the time.

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition I played D:OS until my party was about lvl 12 when it first released... Haven't started the EE yet, but I see on Larian's forums that the bugs / issues thread is 13 pages long, so something tells me I should wait for a few more patches. I would also love to try playing this co-op with my fiance once we move into our new place.

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut Still haven't started this but would like to give a shot soon. Like D:OS it's supposed to be a big game though and I just don't have a whole lot of gaming time right now.

Serpent in Staglands I started this earlier in the year but didn't go very far. There's a lot of neat stuff in this game, but I just don't enjoy the RTwP combat very much... Most of the fighter special abilities are passive and the spells take too long to cast to make spellfighters worthwhile.

Pillars of Eternity: Stopped playing for pretty much the same reason as SitS. I just don't like the RTwP combat. Enjoyed the non-combat heavy aspects though. I figure I'll revisit it at some point once the rest of the DLC is released.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

My main targets for completion this year are Shining Force (about 2/3 completed), Shining Force: Sword of Hajya (not started), and Shining Force 2 (not started). I'm not sure but depending on how I feel I may try to seek out a method of playing SF3 with the full translation... but I'm not sure if I like SF enough to bother.

I'll also probably finish Phoenix Wright: ... And Justice For All (near end of case 2). Otherwise the only active game I have is DQ4 on my phone, which I only play sporadically, and I don't know if I'll push to finish this year.

I have a huge backlog, but I usually randomly select games to play next. Though I'm planning to start Fallout 4 before the end of the year (likely wont finish though). I'll likely finish a couple other games as well, but no idea what they might be. Might play through something on my Wii backlog? Donkey Kong Country Returns or Metroid Prime Trilogy. And I'll probably try to get through another indie game on steam or something. And/or I might play through an older Telltale series- either Jurassic Park or Tales of Monkey Island. I have no idea.

I have a week off between Christmas and New Years (company shutdown), which is when I'm planning to gorge on Fallout.

Overall, I try not to keep too many games active at once. Usually one console/PC, and one handheld. I can't handle trying to juggle too many games.
    I have one goal, Beat Tales of Zesteria
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

edited November 2015
    Also remembered that Hard West- a turn-based Strategy game set in the "Weird West" is releasing on Nov. 18th. Underrail is supposed to be released soon. And some other RPGs I've backed on Kickstarter are likely going to release early next year, so it seems the list of games I want to play is going to keep growing. This is not a bad thing... just wish I had more free time.

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Ack, I'm always terrible about remembering to post on forums, but this is a cool (and scary) topic. For your games, the only one I've played is Xenoblade 3D and while that isn't one you are likely to finish this year that was a rare long RPG that held my attention from beginning to end. Definitely worth some time if you missed the Wii version.

And the scary part, my list of unfinished games is currently sitting at 25 that I've started and still intend to someday finish including 11 I've started this year:
    Adventure Bar Story, Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls, Disgaea 3, Hyrule Warriors, Massive Chalice, Shadow Hearts, Splatoon, Suikoden, Tears to Tiara II, TitS SC, Wind Waker HD.

With Yakuza 5 and Xenoblade Chronicles X still to come out this year, I'll be happy if I finish TitS SC and Danganronpa
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    jscarpe wrote: »
    And the scary part, my list of unfinished games is currently sitting at 25

Wow I wish someday to be close to that number of unfinished games...

You can do it Nyx, I would say try the shortest one first, if I manage to finish 2 more game till the end of year, I will be happy

Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    When I complete I game that I'm enjoying, it is kind of bittersweet... Part of the reason I've put off completing The Witcher 3, I think. Another reason I love when RPGs have branching paths, so there's still some replay value / new content to look forward to.

• jscarpejscarpe RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Ombres wrote: »

Oh its not that hard, just start one and then get distracted by something else shiny. I usually run into trouble balancing portable and console games at the same time; one sometimes grabs more of my attention and I forget about the other
    edited November 2015

Oh its not that hard, just start one and then get distracted by something else shiny. I usually run into trouble balancing portable and console games at the same time; one sometimes grabs more of my attention and I forget about the other

You took that the wrong way. He's not saying he has less then 24. He's saying he has more then 24 ... like super way more. I know myself I could easily have some 50+
    sig.gif

All right, here's my list!

Undertale (PC)
    Tales of Zestiria (PS4)
    Life is Strange (PS4)
    Tales from the Borderlands (PC)
    Moco Moco Friends (3DS)
    Knights of Pen and Paper 2 (PC)
    Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2)
    Game of Thrones (PS4)
    Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    Xenoblade 3D

BAM! Moco Moco is knocked out. Let's see if I can keep this up...

• OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members

You took that the wrong way. He's not saying he has less then 24. He's saying he has more then 24 ... like super way more. I know myself I could easily have some 50+

exactly, I have like 607 unfinished... it so easy to get distracted, but I try to focus, like right now I will finish Shadow of Mordor that I just buy some week ago!

Of course you can Nyx, I belive in you!!

Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited November 2015
    I have about 150+ games myself. There's some I know I just want to try and see if I will like, and then there are others I know I'll want to sit and finished. Anywho, I injured my ankle during the week, so I've been off work since Thursday (hoping to go back in for Tuesday), so more games have been completed! I also missed a game I started so I added it to my list. Today my goal is to finally knock out Atelier Iris. Yeah I need to do some grinding, but I figure I'll put on a few podcasts and just work at it.

Undertale (PC)
    Tales of Zestiria (PS4)
    Life is Strange (PS4)
    Moco Moco Friends (3DS)
    Game of Thrones (PS4)
    Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    Xenoblade 3D (3DS)
    Danganronpa: Another Episode (Vita)
    Annnnnnnnd another one bites the dust!

Undertale (PC)
    Tales of Zestiria (PS4)
    Life is Strange (PS4)
    Moco Moco Friends (3DS)
    Game of Thrones (PS4)
    Dragon Quest IX (DS)
    Xenoblade 3D (3DS)
    Danganronpa: Another Episode (Vita)

It's sooooo nice to be making progress.
    Looks like I'll be carrying these over for the new year. :D
    You made pretty good progress at least. Now might be safe to add Fallout 4 to your list. It took me 130 hours, but I did most everything there was to do other than some of the side quests and faction quests.