If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 17: Extra Value Meal - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we learn the perils of spending promotional credit from fast food restaurants on video games. We also discuss Star Wars RPGs.

Episode 17: Extra Value Meal - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Worst character name ever: Styletto Anyway from Anachronox. Or is it the best name ever? I'm still not sure. It could actually be both.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Those two star ocean names almost always top the list of anyone who's heard them.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2015
    9'49" -- YES! I am the King of Tangents! :D

-- a half hour later...

For the record, as someone who had mostly secondhand knowledge of the Keroro Gunso series at the time, I thought the Keroro RPG was pretty darn awesome. Then again, that was as much the gameplay as the fun writing. The Keroro RPG still stands as my favorite Tales game ever.

--- another half hour later

The worst name choice that came to mind for me was Ashley from Wild ARMs 2, if only because the devs never realized that Ashley stopped being a boy's name several generations ago in the West. Didn't help that I knew several girls named Ashley at the time. In any case, that game allowed the player to rename just about everyone, including at least one antagonist, so I went to town with it. I don't even remember what the official names were for anyone else in that game, but I still recall many of my choices. I think the only one I left the same was an NPC who was initially described as "a vacant looking kid" and had the exact same name as a guy from down the hall who looked perpetually stoned.

-- not quite another half hour later

Doodz, there is totally a Neptune vs. Sega Hard Girls game coming out.
    Vagrant story also had an Ashley.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    It's not an RPG -- it's not even a game -- but I'll throw Aura Battler Dunbine out there for having some of the worst names in media (in this case, anime). Case in point: the love interest is a young lady named Marvel Frozen. A major villain is Shott Weapon.

He is from California. Our hero surmises he must be American, based on his name.

Also, a fun episode! I just finished listening a little bit ago. Have some more questions!

1) What development studio has the most blood on its hands for producing bad games? I want to hear tales of tragedy and sorrow.
    2) At what point do you think old computer RPGs just become... well... unplayable for modern audiences? I'm looking at important but difficult to play games like Ultima 1 here.
    3) What's your favorite of the Ogre Battle series?
    4) What makes Matsuno's games stand out among so many other tactical RPGs?
    I have you ever wonder how profitable some of these game are? Are how many of them aren't? For instance tales games being continually localized seems to say they have figured out the sweet spot as far as spending vs sales. With legend of legacy peaking a lot of niche interest on this site, I wonder if it will work for them. Steam releases seem like a way to boost profit, but many companies don't go that direction. Do you think it's a missed opportunity or do they know more than me? Steam releases seemed to save some games like the trails in the sky.
    edited November 2015
    tLLL8Xyh.jpg
    edited November 2015
    Here's a sketch I drew for q&a. His shield is the one in the logo. Sometimes I can do better with time but it's always fun to sketch something up real quick.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    That is pretty awesome! If you can get me a full color sketch I'll use it as the art for an upcoming episode.
    sig.gif
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Here's a question:

Do you think there's still a good reason for RPGamers to get consoles?

It seems that back in the 16-bit, 32-bit, and PS2 eras JRPGs were a big reason to have a console. But nowadays there are far fewer console JRPGs and the ones that are actually made and localized are usually being released on PC / Steam.

AAA WRPGs are almost always released on PC and there's plenty of indie RPGs that are PC exclusive.

I've heard people say they like consoles so they can sit on the couch and play games on their TV, but with a long enough cable, there's absolutely no reason you can't do that with your PC. If you like to play games with a controller, you can have your pick of console controllers.

So is cost the main advantage? (The perception some have that gaming PCs are too expensive) Or am I missing something else that still appeals to gamers about consoles?
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Well looks like next episode will be : CONSOLES VS PC BATTLE ROYAL
    sig.gif
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Until #TeamHandheld cashes its Money in the Bank in to make it a three way dance.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    #TeamHandheld isn't even competing in such a lowly event. :)
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Just seems like steam offers more impulse buying, where a lot of niche RPGs are usually purchased at a GameStop or Amazon. GameStop in particular seems to really limit the availability of some of these titles to only those who are looking for it.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Full Members
    @daveyd I played on a friend's console once in the early 90s...was it Street Fighter? A couple minutes of fun =)