If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 18: The Quest for Dragon Quest - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we all board the Dragon Quest hype train. We also discuss Dragon Quest.

Episode 18: The Quest for Dragon Quest - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    I had a lot of fun! Must be back some time again.
  • VeghabeVeghabe Does Not Own a PS4 Full Members
    Same here in fact my PS1 DQ7 save file took me like 120 hours to finish however I couldn't wait for a American release of DQ7 on the 3rd so for this passed Sept/Oct I bought a Japanese 3DS and a import copy and by the time I had all 5 party members master all 32 monster/24 human jobs (and hit level 99 ASAP) had like 140 to 150 hours on the game play timer.

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    ... whereas those of us with a less manicly completionist attitude towards gameplay managed to finish the 3DS version (final boss, but not post-game dungeon) in just under 80 hours.
    Well even my PS1 save file all human jobs mastered + all combo skills usable x5 party members and it still took me OVER 100 hours to finish the game.

Even on the 3DS version with just 5x Godhands all at master level to spam nothing but its last move the 20MP per use Ultra hit by the time I had enough max MP to use it on the final boss (level 70 + party members or 300 to 400 max MP per party member ) I would still have OVER 80 hours before starting the last boss fight.

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Yes a shard locator is exactly what the original needed. A big chunk of playtime can be cut out if you have a list of where they are. Which I've always used.
    Veghabe wrote: »
    Well even my PS1 save file all human jobs mastered + all combo skills usable x5 party members and it still took me OVER 100 hours to finish the game.

Even on the 3DS version with just 5x Godhands all at master level to spam nothing but its last move the 20MP per use Ultra hit by the time I had enough max MP to use it on the final boss (level 70 + party members or 300 to 400 max MP per party member ) I would still have OVER 80 hours before starting the last boss fight.

I think you're missing the point that you don't NEED to master and complete everything in order to enjoy a game... Also, since the 3DS remake limits the skillsets for the advanced classes (only their own plus whatever their base classes know), there's no real point to giving everyone everything.
    edited November 2015
    I grinded for everything anyways even if the ONLY attack I used in every boss fight once jobs unlock is only Ultra hit (godhand at master level) for every boss fight in game.

Besides if you want to be cheap and complete all the DLC dungeons mastering every job ASAP AND being at level 99 DOES help.

Then again in every RPG that has job classes (that don't use skill points to master them) I went ahead and mastered every single one on a entire 4 to 8 person party DQ6 DS's Metal Slime class is the the ONLY exception to unlock more then 1 of those for the entire party you must beat the final boss since the games post game boss is the ONLY one that drops the item that makes that class usable so basically making more then 1 party member into that metal slime class is pointless since it takes like 20 to 30 minutes (after you beat the post game boss in under 20 turns)
    just to save the game after the end credits are over to reload the save file to attempt to steal more of those items that make party members become those metal slimes.
    Most people don't have the commitment to level up that many classes.(not that there's anything wrong with it if you enjoy it though)
    edited November 2015
    Well at least for the human jobs it doesn't take that long for Hero/Gabo/Maribel on the 3DS version takes about 15 to 20 hours tops (just enter the slime forest tablet) level cap of 20 (if you free the temple itself around level 16) Hero/Godhand/Sage/Luminary (teen idol) and Summoner can all be mastered BEFORE you hit level 20 and those are really the ONLY good human jobs worth it.

Platking is really the only worthwhile monster job worth it but to make the entire party into those you pretty much have to master most of the games 32 monster classes making the platking heart from the collect 110 tiny medals pointless (its possible to have 5x platking users with the job mastered) before you collect 110 of the games 115 medals.

But all you really need to beat bosses easily are 5x Godhands at master level for Ultra hit abuse (20 MP per use) and level 70 party members so that the class itself has 300 to 400 max MP since it will take that much MP to beat the last boss using it 4 times in a row non stop.

• VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I have never understood the point of maxing out DQ jobs for their own sake. Once your DQ team is strong enough to beat all bosses (including bonus bosses), any more grinding seems like a lot of sunk time that could have been spent playing through another RPG.

I finished PSX DQ7 somewhere around the 120 hour mark, and spent another 80 hours collecting every monster in the game for the Monster House. Then I compiled all the monster quotes into a quote list and posted it on GameFAQs, so that no one else would ever feel compelled to spend 80 hours collecting DQ7 monsters just to see what they say.

As much as I enjoyed DQ7, I am also burned out on it for life and do not plan to buy the 3DS version. I am looking forward to DQ8 on the 3DS though.
    Question- what do you think of level grinding. And in what cases is it tolerable or fun, vs a chore?
  • Lord GolbezLord Golbez Member Full Members
    There are various aspects that play into whether level grinding is fun. First, the gameplay must actually be fun, obviously, or you're not going to want to do it at all. Secondly, the rewards have to come at a decent pace. If it takes too long to go up a single level, the whole thing will become wearisome. If you get to seem some progress, however gradual, at reasonably spaced intervals, it helps. Third, it's nice when magic/skills are tied to grinding so they can come up as an occasional surprise. Wondering when you'll get a new skill helps drive continued grinding for a few levels. Lastly, it also helps if there's a lot to explore so that grinding isn't 100% just grinding.
    The Tea and Biscuits Brigade offers you tea and biscuits.
    Well to be easily "strong" enough for bosses over leveling + mastering all jobs in a RPG that has one is the best way around that + using a Gold slime filled Tablet dungeon ASAP for gold farming that you won't have to farm any gold later in game by unlocking a gold slime lithograph ASAP even if I couldn't actually beat those in 1 turn even with all jobs mastered by level 55 at level 99 and 4x godhands I could easily kill gold slimes in 1 turn and farm them for million of gold even if the max you can carry when NOT in the bank only tops 999,999 gold (easily gained in under 1 to 2 hours) against gold slimes At max level.

DQ8 I only hated it because of the spend Skill points + must equip specific weapons to use any given skill in DQ7 any version you can use any physical skill no matter what weapon type is equipped.

Victar wrote: »
    I have never understood the point of maxing out DQ jobs for their own sake. Once your DQ team is strong enough to beat all bosses (including bonus bosses), any more grinding seems like a lot of sunk time that could have been spent playing through another RPG.

I finished PSX DQ7 somewhere around the 120 hour mark, and spent another 80 hours collecting every monster in the game for the Monster House. Then I compiled all the monster quotes into a quote list and posted it on GameFAQs, so that no one else would ever feel compelled to spend 80 hours collecting DQ7 monsters just to see what they say.

As much as I enjoyed DQ7, I am also burned out on it for life and do not plan to buy the 3DS version. I am looking forward to DQ8 on the 3DS though.

I take my hat off to you, sir, for you have gone above and beyond the call of duty. Neither do I begrudge you your decision to pass up this fine remake, because you have obviously given the game enough of your time already.

===

As to the discussion of grinding... I was always under the impression that the entire point of job class systems was to afford the player as much liberty as he or she could want when it came to forming parties and trying strategies. Going into it with the intent of maxing out everything on everyone, and then using the exact same attack over and over like it's your own personal WIN button... seems like it's missing the point of the whole endeavor.

Perhaps DQ games should take some notes from the MegaTen playbook, and introduce bosses with bizarre immunities or attack strategies that need to be factored in different ways. A physically-invincible boss with moderate magical resistance and one or two very specific status weaknesses, for example...
    Question- If someone came to you and said I have never played an rpg, but I want to. And they asked you for advice on which game they should try. What would you say?
    Gaijin we need you back on the show to talk about the famicom disc drive. I still don't understand it, and it seems like most of the big games like Zelda and metroid were on it? Exclusively, or two different versions. Long time gamer, still confused on how that worked in Japan.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Anna... I agree...my portable gaming time to console time, as a ratio, has increased to 3:1 or higher. The fact that the 2nd DQ trilogy made its way to the DS enabled me to knock it out. And, the fact that VII, the longest of the bunch, remains on the PS1, pretty much stopped my progress there (for now). I'm super stoked that we will receive 7 and 8 on the handhelds, as this pretty much enables me to complete the main series (X excepted), despite my ever so hectic schedule. If I have to, I will finish it on the treadmill!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
    Im team console and tv
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Ahhh, I listened to this yesterday. So much fun. I love DQ, so getting to hear about it was fun. I'm excited for the DQ7 and DQ8 releases on 3DS. Hard to believe they're finally coming, but hey. Best kind of hard to believe!

I can't wait to play DQ7, especially. I never have; it's the only Dragon Quest I've not at least turned on besides 10.

As for a question:

Would a Slime and Chocobo team-up beat 'em up crossover game be awesome or bad?