If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 155: Bad Idea Factory

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
Somehow the work of Idea Factory has been crossing the Pacific much more frequently in recent years. This is a look back at certain titles which have occasioned great sorrow, and learning that those feelings have not dimmed one bit after some time to recover.
Ow ow ow.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    oh god

oh god

oh god
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    edited November 2015
    No Agarest in the episode? Would it have been too much for a single episode?

Or is Agarest not an Idea Factory game and I got my crappy game developers mixed up?
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Agarest is developed by Compile Heart (though the two are almost synonymous as CH is a subsidiary of IF - Mugen Souls is a CH one but the others in this particular episode are IF), but it gets to have its very own episode.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    Oh I'm looking forward to listening to this later today.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Budai wrote: »
    Oh I'm looking forward to listening to this later today.
    You are looking forward to listening to our misery? You, my friend, need help. *cries*

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited November 2015

Mwwahaha. But for real, someone had to play these nasty games and let me just hear about it and be thankful I didn't.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    I almost look at Idea Factory as two companies: The IF that makes decent to good visual novels, and, well, Idea*ampersand* who makes everything you heard here.

They've got good writers, so they should probably run with that instead of subjecting us to any more RPGs.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • bobbywatsonbobbywatson Random guy Full Members
    Shaymin wrote: »
    I almost look at Idea Factory as two companies: The IF that makes decent to good visual novels, and, well, Idea*ampersand* who makes everything you heard here.

Speaking of ampersands, Phil left an F bomb near the end. Does that mean that they won't be censored anymore?
  • JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: Kirin Administrators
    I brought it up, and he refused to edit it away - these games deserve it. Whether games Phil feels so strongly about pop up again seems to determine this.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.
    JuMeSyn wrote: »
    I brought it up, and he refused to edit it away - these games deserve it. Whether games Phil feels so strongly about pop up again seems to determine this.
    It totally deserved it. HMF!

• WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Mugen souls is the bar by which I judge bad games
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • It seems to me that these games had some ideas that were at least interesting, but horribly executed. That system, where the enemies get tougher as the battle drags on, might be cool in a better game, one built around it. But mostly, these games sound like they're trying to copy Nipon Ichi without understanding why those games are good.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    It seems to me that these games had some ideas that were at least interesting, but horribly executed. That system, where the enemies get tougher as the battle drags on, might be cool in a better game, one built around it. But mostly, these games sound like they're trying to copy Nipon Ichi without understanding why those games are good.

Mugen Souls could easily be described as "I want to be Disgaea but that would take SOOOO MUCH effort so let's quarter-arse it".
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Ahhhh, it was glorious. Fun to listen to. Not fun for you guys to play, but hey -- sometimes, you tell us about where the gold is, and sometimes you tell us where the pit traps are so we don't step into them.

I never played any of those. Closest I came was a friend pushing Agarest war at me, but he seemed more fixated on the girls in the game than the game. I was suspicious of its quality, suffice to say, and I dodged a cannonball. A bullet's a bit too small.

And I did take Phil's advice and grabbed some games off GOG during the sale. Heroes of Might and Magic 2 got most of my time so far, and boy, I'm glad I got it! I've slowed down some -- I had a knife mishap over Thanksgiving -- but I wanna dig back into it once my finger heals up.
  • Man, Agarest was a disappointing mess. I think I made it maybe halfway through the first generation before I got bored and gave up. Shame too, cause that was a real cool concept.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    Last Rebellion was mentioned in passing as a bad NIS(?) game. It's not by Idea Factory, I think, but its mere presence in this episode makes me want to speak up in its defense. Unlike the Idea Factory games described in the podcast, Last Rebellion is quick and easy to beat.

Also, Last Rebellion is one of the easiest possible games to get a Platinum Trophy on, for players who are into that.

Last Rebellion is still a rather poor game, just nowhere near as excruciating as everything else described in this episode.
    Texside wrote: »

And I did take Phil's advice and grabbed some games off GOG during the sale. Heroes of Might and Magic 2 got most of my time so far, and boy, I'm glad I got it! I've slowed down some -- I had a knife mishap over Thanksgiving -- but I wanna dig back into it once my finger heals up.
    Ouch! But, hey, HOMM is worth playing! I know...use your OTHER hand :P

• TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    JCServant wrote: »
    Ouch! But, hey, HOMM is worth playing! I know...use your OTHER hand :P

Oh yeah, I've done that some. It's mostly better now (but I'll need to see how the missing bit of thumb affects using a controller, still).
  • Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    Everyone seemed legitimately bummed this episode haha. You all zipped through it sooooo fast before Phil got too loopy.

P.s. Congratz on doing more schooling Phil! I will be sad to see the 5 hour back tracks go, but real life is more important haha. Good on you.
    Seifer267 wrote: »
    P.s. Congratz on doing more schooling Phil! I will be sad to see the 5 hour back tracks go, but real life is more important haha. Good on you.
    Thanks. I don't think of school as an awesome thing in and of itself...and I certainly do not need MORE work in my life right now. However, in the world of accounting (my paying gig) larger organizations require certain credentials. And, I have to afford my gaming addiction somehow!!