If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Active Topical Banter - Episode 21: Multi-Player Review Process

Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News EditorRPGamer Staff
People are the worst, but how can we write reviews around those facts? These and other complaining question answered by our panel.

Words
Words Distribution
Older Words

Talking Points:
-Inside baseball and personal hurdles
-People are the worst.
-The quality of multiplayer as quality of co-op game
-"Great with a great group” is nonsense, maybe?
-How much of that is the devs fault for back end tools.
-Ingame incentive for good play.
-Community sucks, therefore game sucks and other stuff that’s probably right.
-Doing it better.
-Reviewing it smarter.
-MMO reviews.

Next: QnA episode post those q's here. there will be a prize.

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    what one person sent you the most questions for the QnA episode? :)
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    I'm gonna be bad, and comment before listening. All apologies; I have a question, it's finals and my memory's like a sieve, so I wanna strike while I can remember the iron exists.

There's a lot of video game RPGs that incorporate tabletop RPG elements -- for example, games like Baldur's Gate, Divinity: Original Sin, et cetera -- and sometimes this is done well, sometimes this is done less well. What tabletop elements work in RPG's and which don't? Which parts effectively translate the tabletop experience into a video game (if they do in the first place)?
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I'm curious about the game that is beloved, yet cannot be rated higher than a 3. I assume I'll learn what it is when its RPGamer review is finished.

"I just want to be able to dive into an MMO dungeon/raid and figure it out myself" (paraphrased). Hm. Single players games like Dark Souls/Demon Souls are designed with that idea in mind.

But MMOs? In World of Warcraft, the single player questing and some of the simpler group content, such as Looking for Raid, world bosses, and arguably heroic dungeons are all balanced around going in blind.

Normal, Heroic, and Mythic World of Warcraft raiding are not remotely balanced around going in blind. Assuming the players don't massively outgear the content, then they all have to know exactly how the encounter works, and precisely how they should respond to each possible mechanic. Even one person who does not understand all of this can potentially guarantee failure, just as one person who doesn't know what they're doing in a League of Legends match is a massive handicap that may guarantee a loss.

Guild Wars 2 seemed like a much better game for charging into stuff blind, because when I played it, it didn't have the stringently difficult endgame raiding of WoW. I don't know if that's changed in the years since.

My questions: how do achievements affect your gameplay of console RPGs? Do you ignore them completely, or until a second playthrough? Will you go out of your way to get one, and if so, what's the furthest length you've gone to? Do you obsess over missable achievements enough to look them up on a FAQ so you don't miss them? Do you care more about Xbox Achievements/PS3 Trophies than "achievements" that are game-specific (such as Achievements in World of Warcraft, or even that little room in Final Fantasy 12 that you could fill up with mementos commemorating all the things you did.)
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I am liking a lot of these questions so far (as well as the ones I've got via e-mail and Twitter!). Please, more questions! MORE!