If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Just got a PS3- what are the best RPGs I should pick up?

odinsgrandsonodinsgrandson New MemberFull Members
Last generation, I had an Xbox 360- it served me well. But when the systems turned over, I picked up a PS3 so that I could play all of the games that I missed out on last generation.

My question is- what are the best RPGs that didn't come out cross-platform?

I'd especially love to hear about true Turn Based JRPGs that I've missed out on- the genre seems to get too little love these days.

Comments

• I really liked Disgaea 4, Ni No Kuni was really pretty and had some really fun parts, even if the story is a bit disjointed. I really like the pokemon-ish parts although some might find it tedious. Those 2 games alone will take like 6 months...
  • odinsgrandsonodinsgrandson New Member Full Members
    Ok, I've picked up Ni Ni Kuni (knew about that one). I'll need to keep my eyes out for Disgaea 4 (I've been meaning to check out the Disgaea series for a good long while now).

Is Disgaea 4 a good starting point for the series, or should I seek out the earlier games first?

Also, what else should go on my "need to grab that game" list?
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    If you like Tales games, Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles are good buys. If not, there's Valkyria Chronicles (if you don't already have the PC port), Resonance of Fate, and a number of lovely PS1 and PS2 classics on the store to obtain. Such PS1/PS2 classics include Legend of Mana, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Suikoden 1-3, most of the Persona series and SMT games, Xenogears, and I believe at least 3 of the Wild Arms games.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    A lot of the earlier Disgaea games (the PS2 ones) are also available on portable systems, and to be honest they'd probably be easier to digest that way. I'm also assuming that your PS3 isn't a PS2-compatible model?

I actually play more PSX games on my PS3 than anything else, but I'm odd >_>

You might want to check out Valkyria Chronicles as well. There are also six games in the Atelier series for PS3, in two different trilogies. Mileage may vary between titles on that one, but I'm still a fan of the series :)

Hmm... 3D Dot Heroes, Guided Fate Paradox and Awakened Fate Ultimatum, or Battle Princess of Arcadias?

And... if you're not too picky, there are the Neptunia games and assorted other Idea Factory/Compile Heart cheesecake nonsense.
    Well, I've kept all of my PSX and PS2 games (I still play those on my PS2). I'm glad I can get them via the PS3, but I mostly know what was good from those generations.

Which series is better for Atelier? Those ones are on my radar.

Guided Fate Paradox looks really cool. If it lives up to its premise, then that'll be an outstanding game (kind of reminds me of a Persona game).

I never heard about Battle Princess of Arcadias.

As for Tales- I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not- I haven't tried them out.

I loved the first two Star Ocean games, so I used to want to seek after all of Tri-Ace's games. But then I hated the third one, and haven't gone back to the series since then.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Well there is only on Star Ocean since the third one. I really enjoyed others did not so you'd have to judge it for yourself.

Atelier has some PS3 games and they are pretty good but return it to the pre-Iris style in some ways.

There is also the Finale for Ar Tonelico and the pseudo prequel Ar no Surge as well.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • knownameknowname KnowJob, KnowClue Full Members
    What PS2 games do you like? I assume you had not played Disgaea on PS2 as per your comments, I LOVE the DS remake and suggest that one full heartedly it's MUCH better than the PS2 version.

Looking at the front page, though it's NOT an RPG per say, but you might want to check out the Yakuza franchise.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited December 2015
    I basically bought a PS3 just to play Demon's Souls.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    As for Tales- I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not- I haven't tried them out.

Of the PS3 entries, Tales of Xillia is the best jumping point. It properly introduces mechanics and is relatively short. While technically an anniversary title, it is not inundated with series references/in-jokes (like say Final Fantasy IX), so there should be no problems there--really, the anniversary thing is more meta, since the plot/theme is almost a Frankenstein of previous games.

Conversely, you could just play Tales of Vesperia for the 360 to determine any interest in the franchise as a whole. It is the only Tales game that I have played that actually gives something resembling tutorials on how the system works. While I technically started with Tales of Symphonia, I quit after an hour or two because I could not get a hang at the not-as-intuitive-as-the-developers-thought battle system/team A.I. If not for Vesperia, I would probably have never given the series another chance.
    ClixPsi.png
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Which series is better for Atelier? Those ones are on my radar.

Well, both the Arland and the Dusk series have their good points, not to mention high games and low games. The Dusk series games tend to be more focused on an end-goal, which the Arland games generally lack, though Atelier Totori's extended section (extra time past the initial three-year deadline) is the most plot-centric bit of its trilogy by far.

Atelier Rorona -- Probably the most traditional of the PS3 games, but has some great characters. Go for the updated edition, if you can find it. Thematically, the Arland series takes place in an equivalent to the Industrial Revolution, so Rorona is all about proving that the "old art" of alchemy is still relevant in a changing world.

Atelier Totori -- Strongest of the Arland trilogy on a lot of points, and a bit of a tear-jerker by the end. The big theme here is going beyond the limits, of yourself and of the actual worldmap.

Atelier Meruru -- Need to actually play this one sometime... >_> Meruru is a princess who's studying alchemy to bring new prosperity to her kingdom in the aforementioned Industrial Revolution.

Atelier Ayesha -- Definitely more plot-centered than any of the Arland games, with some great character arcs and one awesome final boss theme. Unlike the Arland games (or any other branch of the series), the Dusk trilogy is a weird post-singularity-apocalypse scenario, and the first game really sells that aspect of it all.

Atelier Escha & Logy -- One of the few Atelier games to have a male co-protagonist, though the choice of lead at the beginning doesn't change much. Again, very plot centered, but also very organized around its quarterly calendar goals. It's also one of the few Atelier games with a definite and identifiable antagonist.

Atelier Shallie -- Dual female protagonists on this one, and unlike Escha & Logy, the game DOES vary quite a bit in the first four chapters or so depending on which one you decide to use as the main. Unique among pretty much the entire series, it completely lacks a calendar system, and is instead organized by thematic chapters.

If you want to test the waters, you could start with Atelier Totori. The Arland games are all linked, but it's not as necessary to play them all to get the most out of the experience, and Totori is probably the best standalone of that set. The Dusk games really do need to be played in order to get the full package, though. There are a lot of individual character threads running through those three, plus enough unresolved items at the end of Shallie that I was halfway expecting a fourth Dusk title to pop out of the ether. The seventh PS3 title, Atelier Sophie, doesn't look like it's connected to either trilogy, though Logy does appear as a blacksmith in it for some reason.

OK, I'm through rambling. It's late over here, and I feel like grooving to some more of the Twilight Hour soundtrack. :)
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited December 2015
    No one mentioned Valkyria Chronicles yet which I'll throw out there if OP doesn't have it on PC(or plans to get it on PS4). And there is also the Tales games.

edit: Nevermind, Gaijin did mention it. Well I second everything in here then.
    Thanks- that rundown of Artilier games is super helpful.

I don't game on my PC at all. I know I'm missing out on a bunch of cool indie games, and Steam all together. While that makes me a little sad, my couch and console are much more comfortable, and this way I don't ever have to worry about the specs on my machine being able to play a game.

So Rogue Legacy is on my radar, and I'll keep any eye out for Valkyria Chronicles. Also, I just saw an indie game called "Dragon Fin Soup" that claimed to be a tactical RPG, but looked like an action RPG.

As for PS2- Disgaea was a series that I always wanted to check out, but never got the chance. So- do the games need to be played in any order?

Eternal Poison is also on my list.

From what everyone has said here, I think that Atelier Totori is probably going to be my next game purchase.
  • No one mentioned Demon Souls? I will! Iike Dark Souls, meh'd DS2, haven't played Bloodborne, but I love Demon Souls and PS3 is the only place to play it. Not sure the servers are still up to get the full experience though, hard to explain, world tendency, secrets, blah blah blah FAQ it if you pick it up and get stuck; no shame there. And I'll +1 3d Dot Game Heroes, bizarre mix of old RPG classics in a fun style, with fun combat. I loved the humor in Disgaea 4, probably my favorite of the series but man you may need some time and money to fully explore that one on PS3, the DLC adds up quick... Yeah, Not an RPG, but Asura's Wrath, it's so dumb it's great. so dumb.

Also; Buy all the Suikodens.
    I didn't love Dark Souls, and most of what I've heard about Demon Souls is that it is Dark Souls version .5.

Really, it was the way in which their story was presented- where I felt like the whole plot was developed via fan speculation and it just left me wondering "What is my motivation here?"

It probably would have been less of an issue if the game had been easier- I just expected to be more rewarded when I accomplished something, and I just wasn't.
    edited September 2016
    On Disgaea it would probably be best to play them in order, or at least start with the original. And be aware the first one is MUCH more of a dungeon crawler than the rest of the series (or so I hear! I'd not played passed one, just not interested really BECAUSE) imo that just makes it a better game, but if dungeon crawling and stat grinding is not your cup of tea you might like the others more, just blast through the first game before the rest. It shouldn't take long most of the dungeon crawling (item world) is optional.

OK I don't know how I got off on that tangent but :) Some recent PS3 (really? yes the VERY last of their kind) games you should check out are Trails of Cold Steel, Grand Kingdom, Pier Solar HD (digital only) and Odin's Sphere (a remake of a PS2 game that I hear is much like Disgaea, the PS3 version mainly just loads much faster THOUGH it's rather unclear if the PS4 version- a totaly separate disc NOT the ps3 version played on the ps4 or anything- has any advantages over the ps3 version, it's probably the definitive version but who knows? can't be MUCH better than the ps3 disk in any case since the code is likely the same).
    Have you played Trails of Cold Steel, Grand Kingdom and Pier Solar and Odin's Sphere?

What sorts of games are they?
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Have you played Trails of Cold Steel, Grand Kingdom and Pier Solar and Odin's Sphere?

What sorts of games are they?

We have these awesome reviews for each of these games.

Trails of Cold Steel
    Grand Kingdom
    Pier Solar
    Odin Sphere (the remake)
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2016
    Trails of Cold Steel and Pier Solar are both old school RPGs, Grand Kingdom is Tactical Action RPG (a la "tales of...") and Odin's Sphere is basically an excuse to show off Vanilla Ware's 2D artwork lol (anyway that's what it's known for!) I'd not played any of these but I actually own all of them lol and anxiously intend to get to them as each is well liked (Pier Solar, btw, is known as a DREAMCAST actually a GENESIS/ MEGA DRIVE game! But it's on PSN and I highly suggest it)

huhm... you might also check out the Penny Arcade (on the rainslicked precipice...) games if your interested as PSN only games.

BTW don't forget about Trails of Cold Steel II as well xD
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    While each Disgaea is fairly contained, they include cameos and running jokes from the others in the series. Disgaea 2 includes one of the main characters from Disgaea 1 in it as a playable character which might make that one less standalone than 3, 4, or 5. The only direct sequel is Disgaea D2, a sequel to Disgaea 1. If you go back to play the old games, the remakes tend to smooth them out and the Vita versions tend to include all of the DLC. The only advantage to paying $100 for a dusty playstation 1 copy of the original Disgaea would be a single song and a different voice actor for a character.