If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Episode 19: Console vs PC - Q&A Quest

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
This week in Q&A Quest we discuss the advantages and disadvantages of consoles and PCs for gaming. We also discuss what RPGs make a good starting point for those new to the genre.

Episode 19: Console vs PC - Q&A Quest
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• My PC's not completely reliable for contemporary games since I haven't upgraded my graphics card or processor in an eternity, so console and portable gaming are the ways to go for me.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    I really don't think I've played any games that were actually released in 2015 this year. Sad as that sounds. I will be getting to tales of zesteria and trails in the sky sc soon, but have started neither.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Well you're welcome to send a best and worst that you played this year list Budai.

Everyone just send us some sort of best/worst of 2015 lists! Lists are fun.
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I have to agree with the sentiment that messing with config settings is a turn off, even as someone who has been PC gaming since the 80s. I have a few games on GOG from my childhood, but I just don't want to spend time trying to figure out how to configure them to play on a wired 360 controller, or other forms of config. At least GOG's dosbox settings seem pretty reliable so far, I hated trying to config it myself way back when.

On the other hand, unless you're trying to play older games, I'm finding very little reason to need to mess with config settings, at least for bigger games. The nvidia control panel for setting optimal settings for my rig has been quite impressive, and requires simply finding the game in the list, and clicking "Optimize". Sure, I might be able to tweak it myself and get better results, but... why bother?

On the gripping hand, I'd rather play games on my couch on my tv, than sit at a computer to game. I spend all day at a computer for my job, spending more time at one at home isn't appealing. I need to get one of those Steam Links, which seems like the best of both worlds.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    I have always loved both PC and console gaming. Been more PC in recent years though.
    edited December 2015
    I will only list games I played for the first time this year

Goty-Monster hunter 4

Other RPGs I played, top 5

1. Fire emblem awakening
    2. Dragon age inquisition
    3. Eterian odyssey 4
    4. Bravely default
    5. Lightning returns

*edit* I went back and looked at what I've been playing this year and realized monster hunter 4 came out in February, and that is by and away my top game of the year.
  • Trails in the Sky being released on PC actually got me to play it. It was so much easier to buy off of Steam than to try and track down the PSP version. That being said, it's the first PC game I've really got into since Civ V, and even that's because I can play it like a console game, with a controller and hooked up to my TV.

The best game I played all year was either The Witcher 3, or Fallout 4. They are both high water marks for the open world RPG genre, which might be my favorite type of game.

The worst, or at least most disappointing game that I played this year was Final Fantasy Type-0. The story is a confusing mess, and the gameplay is not fun at all. It's a shame, because I always viewed it as a lost FF game, and an important part of that Fabula Nova Chrystalis mess. (I wholeheartedly bought into the XIII trilogy, and will defend it somewhat)

I also have to disagree about the item world in Disgaea 5. I think it's the best it's ever been. The whole ability to change routes, and gain extra levels on each trip has made me care about it way more than I have in any previous title.
    I also have to disagree about the item world in Disgaea 5. I think it's the best it's ever been. The whole ability to change routes, and gain extra levels on each trip has made me care about it way more than I have in any previous title.

There's certainly a lot of flexibility in that regard, but the actually playing of floors is what I find extremely boring. Not a lot of geo-block fun, and it's a serious step down from D2 with all the cool stuff taking ships into the item world brought to the table. This is kind of my general problem with the game, all the pieces are there to make this the best Disgaea yet, but there's some major issues with the execution. More to come in the full review (but important to note I don't find it to be a bad game by any stretch).
    sig.gif
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    The hassle of making PC games run used to be a deal-breaker for me, but Steam has transformed that. I almost never have difficulty getting a Steam game to run.

My issue with PC gaming is that it is cumbersome at best to combine PC gaming with any type of physical exercise. (Meanwhile, I can play handheld systems at the gym, and I have a Gazelle set up in front of the consoles.) I already sit in my chair playing way too much World of Warcraft, so playing additional PC games just might result in blood clots.

I should probably cut back on WoW to make time for Undertale in the near future, though.
    Why do you think sega has given up on a traditional phantasy star and shining force game?
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Well, in terms of traditional Shining Force, the rift between SEGA and Camelot probably has a lot to do with it. Which is a total bummer, as I miss the SF TRPGs. They were some of my first games.
    What is everyone's biggest gaming regret? Mine was trading in my snes and all my RPGs, for a Nintendo 64 at launch.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Fun episode!

My favorite game of the year would have to go to Final Fantasy XIV. I got into it at the beginning of the year and then did (most of) Heavensward. It has, I think, the best story an MMORPG has; the mechanics are solid and it hits my nostalgia in the best way possible.

A couple of runner-up entries: Undertale was fantastic, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 would have to be the ancient game I discovered (very) late this year and just loved.

For bad games... somehow, I missed a lot of them this year. I'm not sure how; I just didn't quite get one I hated. Must have been lucky!

For a few questions, too:
    1) What's your respective favorites of the PS1 trilogy of Final Fantasy games? FF7, FF8, and FF9, specifically.
    2) Can mobile RPG's work, and what makes them work well if so?
    3) Do you think the slew of Kemco-produced (but let's broaden it to indie-created RPGMaker titles and stuff like Aldorlea games) succeeds because of the nostalgia they're trying to evoke? Sometimes, I'm puzzled why these games appeal.
    4) Was Ultima Online where hope went to die? (Or goes to die. Somehow it's still running.)
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    it does my heart good seeing all these questions from not me. As much as I can do questions, it's nice to not just be "lolwhoops question hour-ish" show
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Budai wrote: »
    What is everyone's biggest gaming regret? Mine was trading in my snes and all my RPGs, for a Nintendo 64 at launch.

Buying a PS3. Barely played any games for it and most of the exclusive RPGs didn't interest me. At least it can play Blu Ray discs, but considering I almost always stream movies, I've yet to use it for that. Since PC basically has all the games that interest me PS3 will probably be the last console I ever buy (excluding handhelds maybe).
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

Don't forget to get us your best and worst of 2015 lists (divided into fun categories as you see fit)
    sig.gif
    edited December 2015
    The worst for me would probably be final fantasy 4 after years 3D version. I'm sure I would like the 2d version and hopefully will play it soon.
    The worst for me would probably be final fantasy 4 after years 3D version. I'm sure I would like the 2d version and hopefully will play it soon.

I keep forgetting that exists.

come on we need lonnnnnnggggg lists

sig.gif
    Wheels wrote: »

I keep forgetting that exists.

come on we need lonnnnnnggggg lists

I like the ps1 final fantasy graphics, because while the character models were weird, the prerendered backgrounds were always really nice and detailed. This doesn't have those nice backgrounds, so I just don't like the look. The models themselves are probably not as nice as ff9. I wouldn't say the game is absolutely terrible, but something has to be at the bottom of the list.
    I think it would be interesting to hear both of your thoughts on the final fantasy movie spirits within. Particularly how you might have felt when it was released and current thoughts.
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    it does my heart good seeing all these questions from not me. As much as I can do questions, it's nice to not just be "lolwhoops question hour-ish" show

Yeah but you should still have at least some questions going!
    edited December 2015
    Question- have you ever noticed how some tiny game design can change a game. Compare ffx to ff13. Ffx, while very linear and cutscenes focused, didn't feel as limited as ff13 for some reason. Even though they are similar in build, the small deviation in areas really changes the feel of the game in its entirety. The pulse area in ff13 was probably more open than most areas in ffx, but it was a little to late. (Even though I don't hate ff13 just to let it be known, even with my problems with the game)
  • How do you deal with a backlog of games? Even looking at just new games, I have 5 or 6 monstrously long games to get through, and 2016 is going to make it worse.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    I think the best way to deal with a game backlog is not to obsess over it. Accept that one day in the hopefully faraway future, you will die with many unfinished games in your possession. Play games for the joy of the moment.

I would recommend prioritizing any games with any sort of online component that is likely to be taken down in the near future. For example, I personally waited too long to play Dragon Quest 9. I finished and enjoyed the main story, but I can't play a good-sized chunk of the postgame because it can't be unlocked anymore.

(Technically, there is a workaround, but that would involve wireless communication with someone else's DQ9 cart with the assorted quests unlocked).
    edited December 2015
    There are some people that believe a game can't be too long. That as long as it's good, it can go on forever. What do you think of that notion, and what are some games you believe are too long?