If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Princesses of the Pizza Parlor - Pathfinder fiction

GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited December 2015 in Saving Throw Gaming
Since this section of the forum's been pretty much dead for the last seven months, I was wondering if anyone would mind if I posted some fiction here?

Background: last summer, I spent my vacation with the family in Hawaii, and I got my niece hooked on the trump deck version of the Game of Life. The way we were playing it, we had to out-do each other in ridiculous life stories based on whatever random cards we picked up. Much fun was had by all, especially when my little brother extemporized his own version of the Odyssey at the end of a game where we were feuding over who had actually discovered Bigfoot... but I digress.

A couple weeks after that, I was half asleep and letting my imagination go nuts, when the thought occurred to me: what would I do if my niece decided she wanted to try a tabletop RPG with her friends, and I got roped into being the GM because no one else in the family knew the first thing about it? This thought led to another, and then another, and by the first week of November, I had a 20k word first episode finished.

So... the problem being that, though I own the sourcebook for Pathfinder (and referred to it a lot), I've never actually run a D&D or Pathfinder game before. Almost all my experience with tabletop stuff was either organized by someone else, or so ridiculously homebrew that even I wasn't sure what all the rules were on any given day.

Basically, I'm asking if anyone would mind me posting the thing in chunks on here and then letting you all tell me just how many things I got wrong, >_<

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    Salutations!

I think you're asking for rules advice based on posting you do here. After all, if you're talking about story in any RPG, that's completely up to you as the GM...unless you're trying super hard to stick with the campaign setting material. And I can certainly help there.

I'm always happy to chat about Pathfinder stuff. No matter how busy my life is, I find time to run a game almost weekly, and I host a quarterly event, as well as an annual, multi-day event. So, yeah, I like the game and the setting.

As far as running a game, I would just say...jump into it! When I first ran games, I lacked familiarity with the rules, and let my players know. Often, the players were also new, and accepted the fact that I would make up story, rules, etc., on the fly to keep the adventure moving. When I played with more experienced players, I relied on their knowledge to help me run the game closer to the rules as written. Decades later, I still follow this pattern. While I understand the rules much better than ever, the game is SOOO expensive (and growing every day), that I cannot know everything. Being able to improvise, when appropriate, and look things up in more serious situations, helps massively.

Regardless, let me know how I can help! I love pen and paper RPGs, especially PF/3.5.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2016
    Well, I was thinking about posting the whole thing on here, but 19,700 words of text is a bit much to divvy up well, even before getting into the odd symbol usage or formatting... So I uploaded it instead.
    (and removed it later)
    edited December 2015
    Y'know, I probably should've read the stuff on CR and average party level before I went and created the crazy battle situation at the end of the first episode. In particular, forgot that increasing the number of enemies can increase the CR quickly, and I put so many minor enemies in that they had to be treated in block units. So... what would the CR be for what's effectively a Zerg rush, when faced with 5 to 8 NPCs of indeterminate but certainly higher ability than the PCs, I wonder?

Enemy list:
    Spoiler:
  • BubsyFan1BubsyFan1 USAFull Members
    I can't really help you on the rules side of things as I'm always the one asking for clarification, permission, etc., but I did find your story to be quite enjoyable. Is there a second episode in the works?
    Currently about six pages into it.
    Forgot to ever update again, but I finished the third episode last month, and currently have plans for a few more beyond this.
  • BubsyFan1BubsyFan1 USAFull Members
    Have you uploaded the episodes anywhere?
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    BubsyFan1 wrote: »
    Have you uploaded the episodes anywhere?
    I'd say I'd hijack the content for a blog somewhere else, but I'm too busy threatening to repost Jumesyn's 'seen any good movie lately' posts for tumblr.
    Well at the moment I am trying to figure out why this e-book editing and formatting program keeps selectively removing some but not all of the Wingdings and Webdings font items I used.
    And.... in my attempts to get this thing to show all the dingbats properly, I somehow switched the entire thing to Webdings. Now that was odd o_O

Unfortunately, had to remove all the little musical notes during Cynthia/Flora's singing bits, but found some decent images to cut into GIFs for line breaks.
    After all sorts of fun and games with formatting and getting cover art sorted out, finally put this one up on Amazon Kindle eBooks here. Next two episodes should be following by the end of this quarter, plus possibly some unrelated fiction to go with it.

Fourth episode is all laid out, and I'll get to writing that shortly. Let's see how much I can raise for baby :)