If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGCast - Episode 369: "Feedback Fills Us With Determination"

sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflictMadison, WIAdministrators
edited December 2015 in Latest Updates
RPGCast - Episode 369: "Feedback Fills Us With Determination"

Some people answer some questions. Chris tries to give us a Just Cause for why he attached that cow to that helicopter. Alice gets Fruity with some Xenoblade. And Anna Marie stabs girls in the neck. Wait, what?

You can find the shownotes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hLXOun1ZxUP6E_vRgsLTdrSzy7q-h4iCHJt3EDYuKRs/pubhtml

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
Post in this thread.
Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Trailers"
Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=264306390

Question of the Week: So no one is playing any of the recent releases. What the heck ARE you playing?
179811.png

Comments

• PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that part of Stella Glow. Technically, it's more stabbing in the collarbone and below than the neck though.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    About Yakuza 5's attention to detail: I played the demo at TGS a few years back, and (being a former Fukuoka resident) I could tell exactly which part of the Nakasu entertainment district I was going through and what part of Tenjin I ended at. My biggest complaints were that 1) my favorite bar on that street wasn't there (had a For Rent sign on the stairs) and 2) the demo area didn't extend far enough north for me to go shopping at the Mr. Donuts.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Man, I just got to the part where you talk about Medabots and I seriously cringed. I don't think there's an emoticon on this forum for what I'm feeling right now. I will attempt to explain it with the strong suggestion that you guys play it.

So, story wise everyone likes robots and battles are everywhere. kids beat up each other's medabots and take parts if they win. very big cultural thing. The story of the games has Ikki basically go from one area to the next battling robots and being swept into each new thing mostly without any intention. You finish the story in one area then usually just get thrown into the next one. The Rubber Robo gang is usually at the core of all problems. There's everything from cross dressing to preventing world destruction. You know, the usual things.

In battle, your medabots (1 to 3 of them) line up on one side and the enemies line up on the other. At the start line you pick what action you want to do, then there's a charge time based on what you're using and what your legs have as propulsion. When you get to the center line, you use that action. Then there's the cooldown phase where your bot runs back to the start line so you can choose the next action. Shooting parts will target one part of a Medabot, mostly at random with each medal having a built in preference for targets. The problem with shooting is that if the part you target is destroyed before you act, your action is wasted. But shooting is better defensively than grappling, thanks to the stronger shooting attacks preventing you from evading but not defending while the strongest grapples prevent you from both evading and defending. Grappling, however, hits the cloest enemy to the center line when acting, so won't ever waste their turn and usually do more damage per hit.

So yeah, when it comes down to it, the battles are fun and usually quick. There's a lot of customization for your bots and a bunch of different medals with different Medaforce powers. The game has a lot of silly stuff in it and the occasional gramatical error, so don't expect a super deep and mind expanding story. Pick the Metabee version and use the head missiles of doom. Try not to lose, or abuse the ability to create save states on the Wii U VC, because losing means you give up one part and it may actually result in a game over early in the game when you can't make any usable Medabots.

This mini review brought to you by cinnamon rolls. Mmm mmm cinnamon goodness.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited December 2015
    I'm playing Pokemon Picross and Mario's Picross! Unfortunately, neither game appears to have any kind of story mode.

One warning to Pokemon Picross players. If you don't want to buy Picarites, then it's not really worth it to expand the energy gauge more than once, or buy more Pokemon slots, or buy mega-evolutions. The energy gauge refills fairly quickly, as long as you're not playing this game for hours on end. By far the biggest Picarite roadblock is the cost to unlock new areas.

I want to commend Pokemon Picross for its excellent Picross tutorial. I had no idea what Picross was before trying the game; the tutorial not only explained the basics, but also walked me through specific strategies that can be used.

I've been applying these strategies to Mario's Picross, an ancient black-and-white Game Boy game on the 3DS eShop. It has tons of Picross puzzles (maybe 200 or so?); if you like Picross then it's a great value for $3.99.

The eShop also has another series of downloadable Picross games that I haven't tried yet. I assume they're just more puzzles, with no story.

I'm also playing Sonic Chronicles, mostly in reaction to the scorn that certain RPGamer staff members have for it. I'm up to chapter 5.
  • I'm still powering my way though Disgaea 5. I find the item world in this version to be super-addicting. More so that any other installment, this one feels like an incremental game that you have to work at. It feels like you're always getting a level up in something for someone. I'm also grinding my way through DQVI in preparation for the two remakes and a DQ panel I'm running at a local convention. I need to finish V and VI by April, but thankfully, I'm most of the way through VI, which is the real long one. Also, Pokemon Picross, which is fun, but I have a few complaints. It feels like the missions punish people who are experienced enough with picross to not need to use the Pokemon abilities. I'm also still trying to wrap my head around the mega puzzles.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited December 2015
    This was a great episode loaded with content. Those phone calls and answers lol
  • AzilisAzilis Member Full Members
    Anna, have you played the Picross 3D for the original DS? It's hands down the best logic puzzle game I've ever played and it's a brilliant spin on traditional picross or nonogram puzzles. There's a 3DS sequel out in Japan now, but I kind of doubt it'll get released outside of Japan. I'd import it immediately if not for the region lock.

I'm wary of Pokemon Picross due to the microtransactions . . . even if you can basically unlock everything for $30. Are the microtransaction mechanics built into the game in an unobtrusive way so that if you pay $30, they don't get in the way at all?
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    edited December 2015
    This was a blast. Mac's Hank Hill was incredible, for the record. And I'm pleased my dog turd analogy was humorous.

I did, in fact, pick up Tales of Zestiria! I'll tell y'all what I think of it. For what I've been playing recently... Final Fantasy XIV has been the big one. Prior to that, I was playing Heroes of Might and Magic 2 (...not remotely new) and Undertale (yay!). I'm still poking at both some.

Alice is right: GO PLAY UNDERTALE. I keep hoping we'll get a site review. And just... just more people, playing it. It's so good. I haven't finished yet (school was busy!) but my wife finished it, and thoroughly loved it. And she doesn't play as many games as she once did, these days. Broad appeal, I'm telling you!
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    There is a site review. Perfect score, if I remember correctly
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    Azilis wrote: »
    Anna, have you played the Picross 3D for the original DS? It's hands down the best logic puzzle game I've ever played and it's a brilliant spin on traditional picross or nonogram puzzles. There's a 3DS sequel out in Japan now, but I kind of doubt it'll get released outside of Japan. I'd import it immediately if not for the region lock.

Yes! I'm nowhere near done it, but it landed in my box of crap a couple years ago and was the best game I've gotten in one of those.
    Azilis wrote: »
    I'm wary of Pokemon Picross due to the microtransactions . . . even if you can basically unlock everything for $30. Are the microtransaction mechanics built into the game in an unobtrusive way so that if you pay $30, they don't get in the way at all?

Yeah, spend the 30$ and it's never an issue again. Just tap the button when you want more picrites, as often as you want.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    Budai wrote: »
    There is a site review. Perfect score, if I remember correctly

Oh wow, I missed that. My bad.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Picross 3D in a box of crap? Someone done messed up hard.

QotW: Since my roommate commandeered the Xenoblade X disc - or else I'd be restarting to avoid getting screwed by crit pathing - I'm diving into Tales of the Abyss to see if I can beat it before the end of the year.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • jscarpejscarpe Member Full Members
    I've been playing recent stuff, just not the big budget mega popular RPGs. I just finished Trails in the Sky SC which was fantastic; easily the best story I've experienced in a game. Right now I'm playing Yakuza 5 and I just reached Hokkaido where you get to hunt instead of drive a taxi. Oh, and there are hand-to-paw fights with bears! How awesome is that?
    My digital copy of Summon Night 5 showed up this week and I'm excited to play it... except I'm putting it off in favor of Trails of Cold Steel which comes out Tuesday. Too much JRPG goodness right now, and I want to play Xenoblade Chonicles X but there is not enough time. Good problems to have I suppose.