If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

"A Year of..." 2016 poll (sort of)

redwing42redwing42 Classic Console JunkieFull Members
Since it appears that we can not create actual polls, we will need to do it in a modified form. Here are the options for next year's theme:

A Year of the Best 7th Gen games (WII, PS3, X360)
A Year of Zelda
A Year of ATLUS games (Mostly developed, but I suppose we could get a couple of published by games in there as well)
A Year of varied themes (different theme each month)
A Year of 4th Gen games (SNES, Genesis, TG-16)
A Year of Fire Emblem
A Year of My Backlog

Please only vote for one or two suggestions. Voting will be open until 12/30/15.

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Well, I do have a bunch of Zeldas in my backlog, so a Year of Zelda might actually get me motivated to tackle them once and for all.
    ClixPsi.png
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    I would probably go for either Atlus or varied themes. Atlus would probably get the most participation out of me since I have a lot of their games in my backlog. Varied themes as a wildcard that might actually cover some of my backlog.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Varied themes works the best for me. It means there's always something different.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Year of Fire Emblem would be the toughest as many are not in English or do not have comprehensive English translations
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    L still think we should do a year of new releases. Sure, not everyone can get in on this, but 2016 is the year of jrpgs.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    I think Varied themes would be best. Especially because you can include new or old games in any theme and like Nim said, there's a lot of RPGs coming out next year. I don't know how much I would be involved if I can't hit some new games during the year.

To be fair though I didn't participate this year. Playing something on my Vita or 3DS is a much better way to get me involved though.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2015
    I've always wanted to do a year of Zelda, and almost all of them are available now thanks to the VC

Nice advantage of a year of zelda would also be that most Zelda games are relatively short, usually anywhere between 15 and 30 hours. Only a handful stretch beyond that.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    That said, for a Zelda year, I wonder what all would be covered? Console entries aren't enough, but the many portable titles pushes it a bit over the line. I guess if chosen we would need to trim it down a tad.
    ClixPsi.png
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    A Zelda year would probably have months with a choice in games. For example, I would probably put the two Oracle games in the same month and tell people to play either or. Also, I would leave out Link's Awakening, because that game is terrible. The bigger question in my mind would be whether to go in chronological order of release, or to try and use the official timeline.
    I'd probably participate in several months for Zelda, but not the whole year. I still have Skyward Sword and the Oracles on my backlog. I'd be willing to buy Minish Cap if its on WiiU VC since I never played it and always wanted to. And I might pick up Spirit Tracks if the secondhand price isn't insane. But the only one I'd be really interested in replaying would be Link to the Past otherwise.
    Last 24 hours to get in any opinions on this. Will make decisions on Thursday.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I don't know if I'd be able to participate in a Zelda year, especially with so many new games coming out in 2016. Still, I do like the idea, and I've only played every Zelda game that I have once.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

The main downside to a year of Zelda is the cost of getting a few of the newer gen Zelda games if you don't have them. $40+ for those could do a pinch on our wallets pretty badly.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited December 2015
    Zelda is not the only option... I just answered a specific question about it. I'm leaning towards a different theme each month at this point, because I would be better able to tackle my backlog that way and there would be a larger base of conversation. For example, A Year of ATLUS would let people talk about some great titles over the course of 12 months, but a month of ATLUS gives us all that conversation condensed into one month, then a whole new conversation can start for Zelda, then another conversation for Fire Emblem, etc. Along those lines, any further theme suggestions would be welcomed, as there is not currently enough listed for a full year.
    Well we could add in Tales cause there have been an umber of those that have come out, a month of Strategy, could do a month of DQ and FF, a month of games meant to make you cry
    sig.gif

and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

• lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    I say Dragon Quest would be good. There's 7 and 8 on 3DS coming out in 2016, plus what's already out and DQ Heroes on PS4 that came out not long ago. We could do Falcom month, playing things like Legend of Heroes and Ys. A month of Disgaea could be good too, considering how many platforms have at least one game on them. Action RPG month, SRPG month, Star Ocean month? Level 5 month? Xeno games month? Monster Hunter/Clones month? Look at new releases coming out in each month and try to make a loose theme fitting them either that month or the one after.

Maybe make January a set theme and then work on the next month's theme. Or whatever.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    Varied themes would make it more likely that I would participate. I'm pondering if a "crossover" month would be viable, for games coming out next year like Project X Zone 2 and Genei Ibunroku #FE. We could also play loose with what defines a crossover and include games from the Kingdom Hearts series and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Why not do a series for each month, but let people play any game they want from said series? Then you may get some participation just on that fact. I dunno, throwing it out there. Like you could do something such as...

Jan - Tales
    Feb - Zelda
    Mar - Dragon Quest
    April - FF
    May - SMT
    ... and so forth as long as the series has enough entries that people can choose from. Maybe keep it simple?
    I kinda like where Nyx is going, the other thing is we can do it again next year and people can pick different entries
    sig.gif

Nyx wrote: »
    Why not do a series for each month, but let people play any game they want from said series? Then you may get some participation just on that fact. I dunno, throwing it out there. Like you could do something such as...

Jan - Tales
    Feb - Zelda
    Mar - Dragon Quest
    April - FF
    May - SMT
    ... and so forth as long as the series has enough entries that people can choose from. Maybe keep it simple?

That was my plan on how to run it... not pick a specific game, but say "This is a month of whatever. Play something in this theme. Talk about that game or any other game within the theme." The theme would usually be a series (like Zelda, FE, or whatever), but could be something more broad like SMT games, 7th Gen games, or "games that make you cry."

I am going to go with a different theme each month. I'll have the first three themes posted sometime later today.
    So, I wanted to plan themes to match up with current releases, but I've got a bit of a sticking point. In January, both a new Atelier game and a new FF game are being released. However, both are dropping at the end of the month. The same thing happens in February with FE. Should I make January a Final Fantasy month, even though the new game will only be available for a few days? Or should I make the schedule Jan - Atelier, Feb - Final Fantasy, March - Fire Emblem with the idea that people will be playing the game more in the month following, due to the release date?
    That's likely the best bet.
    ClixPsi.png
    Are the releases you're looking at Final Fantasy Explorers, and Atelier Escha & Logy Plus? Or is there another Atelier/FF release I'm missing?

If those are the two, I'd probably lean towards Atelier in January and FF in February, since the Atelier game is a slightly enhanced port, and the FF game is actually new, so if anyone does choose the FF game for that month, they can play in Feb. (plus, #FFeburary).

For me, the decision picks my next game after I'm done with Shining Force 2. I've been debating between Atelier Meruru+ and FF13-2 for a couple days. Whichever one January turns out to be picks my game.
    Yeah... I figured the Atelier pick would be a bit less popular anyway, so I would give the better slot to Final Fantasy.
    Will you be solidifying a full list for the year? I wouldn't mind having a long term plan available, so I don't happen to play through any games I have too early.
    edited January 2016
    I'll look ahead, but if I try to time it with upcoming releases, it will be tough to do more than a few months out. I will probably come up with a full list of themes, though, while reserving the right to change one or two if applicable.

Not sure if you saw it in the other thread, but Feb. is Final Fantasy and March is Fire Emblem.
    I don't mean to butt in, but might I make a suggestion since you seem to be aiming for each month to correspond to major-ish releases? While I certainly don't trust them to meet their goal, Final Fantasy XV is allegedly going to be a 2016 title. Might it be best to delay the FF Month to TBA to coincide with XV's release?

That said, the only other suggestion that I can muster for February would be for Pokemon to coincide with the 3DS ports of R/B/Y coming out in a week or two. I'm personally playing FF Type-0 whenever we do a month of FF, be it next month or beyond. I just figure that a higher turn out would occur if the month was at the same time as FFXV; similarly, whatever theme ends up scheduled at that time would likely see minimal participating due to a lot of people playing XV instead.
    ClixPsi.png
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    For me, I think the problem with the year of stuff is that, I have limited time for gaming and when I do play games, I'm going to play what I'm in the mood to play.... I wanted to participate a bit more last year but got busy since I moved twice in 2015.. and was busy with moving and dealing with exasperating mortgage nonsense.

And of course someone like me who just really doesn't like Final Fantasy isn't going to participate in a FF month.

It's a great idea in theory, and I particularly love the idea of people encouraged to play RPGs outside their comfort zone... but considering that most people don't want to spend money on games they don't expect to like.... it doesn't work out well. (Although I'm still surprised no one took me up on a free copy of Shadowrun: Hong Kong!).

Might I suggest a month of "free RPGs". This at least takes away the excuse of "I'd like to try but don't have the money or want to risk it on these games"....

I know a lot of free games aren't so great, but there's definitely some good ones. Heroine's Quest comes to mind, there's a free remake of Quest for Glory II and I know there's a few others that seem to be well liked....
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

We shouldn't make exceptions for a single person, daveyd. The Atelier month I originally wasn't going to take part in if it hadn't been for the cheap Mana Khemia: Student Alliance game on PSP/Vita, and if I hadn't had liked it I would have sat the month out. Should I have asked for a different month just because I didn't like the game? That's unfair to everybody else, don't you think?
    edited January 2016
    I think I'm going to keep FFebruary on the schedule (FF February? Final February?). I don't trust Square Enix to hit FFXV this year without already having a date on record.

I think one of the advantages of having a different theme each month is that it caters towards people that want to try new things and people that want to stay in their comfort zone. By the end of the year, we will cover pretty much any kind of RPG there is, so there should be something for everyone. I don't expect that everyone will participate every month, so I don't mind if people skip out because they are too busy with other games or just don't like that particular theme.

For the record, I'd like to say that I'm pretty happy with the participation this month, especially for a series that is may not be considered top tier. It looks like in April there will not be a release that lends itself to a particular theme. If there are any particular requests for that month, let me know and I will consider them.