If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 156: Arena of the Elders

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
The Elder Scrolls began with obtuse games that are customarily bundled with later titles nowadays rather than being sold alone. For sheer quantity of material they're hard to beat, but figuring anything out can be quite a struggle.
Plus outlandish prices on side games!
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    I would have loved to hear this episode if there was someone on it that actually liked The Elder Scrolls series.

Of course looking at the games in hindsight, they have a lot of flaws by today's standards. But at the time, those games were really impressive, and really drove forward Western RPG development. They were important stepping stones in the evolution of WRPGs.

Daggerfall is still my favorite TES game, but for much the same reason that most FF7 fans like that game- right time, right game. I know it can be pretty archaic. Its just disappointing to listen to mostly bashing on the games. Though at least Phil seemed to have some fond memories of it.
  • Yeah, Daggerfall was taking it pretty hard. It was really stunning at the time, and Phil is right that box... That sweet box. Probably one of my favorite games of that time period. That monster kept me occupied for 2 years off and on. The difficulty and cheese seemed kind of like the norm back then with just piles of saves needed on just about every PC game except for Lucas Arts and Edutainment games(I was a Sierra kid, Death is fun kids and BTW Leisure Suit Larry was loaded with lady bits but I had to use my Carmen Sandiego encyclopedia to get past the age gate). But yeah the jenk in that game just on some system level on DOS was insane, I had to run through some hoops just to get it to run correctly on a DOS machine at the reccomended spec. I learned a lot about my computer between Daggerfall, and the Wing Commander games.