If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack - Episode 157: Take This Job and Love It

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
The fifth Final Fantasy was left in Japan for years, though nowadays it's available on a plethora of platforms. It may not be exactly what everyone out there would like, but those in search of a worthy Job system need look no further.
There may be a bad guy who doesn't hide it.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    edited January 2016
    FF5 had superior game mechanics to 4, too bad it didn't have as interesting a cast and art style. Granted 5 does get more interesting setting-wise as it gets further along.
  • VictarVictar Member Full Members
    edited January 2016
    I hope you enjoy Dragon Quest 9 as much as I did, Phil!

Good news: unlike Dragon Quest 3, there is no possible way to screw up the job system in DQ9. You are never harmed by dabbling in new jobs, or switching jobs back and forth. You will need to get a reasonably decent level in your "main" jobs to finish the game, but that's not too hard.

You don't need to unlock any of the extra jobs if you don't want to. As long as you have a Cleric and 1-2 strong damage dealers on your DQ9 team you're good to go for the main game. I used Minstrel/Warrior/Fighter/Cleric but almost anything can work. Supposedly the game gets more difficult in the postgame (which is *bigger than the main game*), but you also get access to a place where you can fight tons of metal slimes for easy experience.
  • TexsideTexside Member Full Members
    I just listened to this today (and the prior one the day before). I've always liked FF5, but the furthest I've gotten has been the Four Job Fiesta -- and, inevitably, I stall out. I should really sit down and play it the "classic" way sometime. The job system appeals to me; I liked it, and I liked Bravely Default's quite a bit.

Elder Scrolls was interesting to hear about; I'm looking forward to the Morrowind episode if you get there.

Now, on a point Phil touched on, because I've glanced at them in the Steam sale: I think he's right about how these "new" retro RPGs just lack the depth of the old ones. They don't come close to FF5's job system; heck, they don't come close to magicite, often times. On top of that, the stories and characters often seem to have the depth of FF5's... without the charm or polish. I'd tried one awhile back, and after the umpteenth instance of lazy grammar and spelling, I had to throw in the towel.

They're neither living up to the past, nor doing something new. It's a shame.
  • BudaiBudai Paladin Full Members
    And yes I agree with mystic Knights. My favorite class.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    Texside wrote: »

Elder Scrolls was interesting to hear about; I'm looking forward to the Morrowind episode if you get there.

that on is sometime springish...