If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Clix wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed (360) - All Achievements

Recently reclaimed my old 360 from my brother, so I decided to play through the first game again and get the final achievements (i.e. the flag collection). I still like the first game, flaws and all. Hell, it is not even the worst entry--I played that at the beginning of the year.

I also enjoyed this one quite a bit, even after getting the 100%. It is such an unusual setting for a game, and I thought it was handled very well. It wasn't the most fleshed out, but the simplicity was better than the complexity of Revelations.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Clix wrote: »
    Assassin's Creed (360) - All Achievements

Recently reclaimed my old 360 from my brother, so I decided to play through the first game again and get the final achievements (i.e. the flag collection). I still like the first game, flaws and all. Hell, it is not even the worst entry--I played that at the beginning of the year.

I also enjoyed this one quite a bit, even after getting the 100%. It is such an unusual setting for a game, and I thought it was handled very well. It wasn't the most fleshed out, but the simplicity was better than the complexity of Revelations.

I personally consider Revelations to be in the top three of the franchise, so for me it's really more on how well the game individually achieves it's goals. The first game still has one of the best settings, and the combat is a lot more skill-based. Furthermore, the assassinations themselves are among the hardest in the series to "perfect" (read: kill undetected--possible on all but a few towards the end). So, for what ACI lacked in diversity, it did have depth.
    ClixPsi.png
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    How come Nyx? I was wondering about that game.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Ombres wrote: »
    How come Nyx? I was wondering about that game.

Oh, I didn't mean this in a bad way. I just got very emotionally attached to the story and it's definitely worth the play just so you can make your own theories as to what is going on.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Hey guys. Clix is on vacation this weekend and will be back Sunday night. I'm sure he'll post when he gets back.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2016
    I saw some credits after completing the campaign in Grand Kingdom (PS4), short though it was. I was 20 levels above the recommended level of the last stage because I joined the war between the four nations every day for the objective awards.

The campaign's level requirements increase just enough to require you to do side missions or join the online war to keep up, but then if you spend a couple hours doing that you end up way over-leveled. Although the war is online, you play it against the AI and your score is combined with everyone else on your side. Neither the war nor the campaign is designed well, and they don't complement each other.

There's a postgame that allows the player to take quests from and possibly interact with the four nations more directly. Seems like that should have been part of the regular campaign but they couldn't figure out how to work it in. It's been fun to play after midnight when I'm tired and the pauses in combat don't bother me, so I might put some more time into it.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PC, NA hours) - FFXI still has some of the best storytelling in recent years.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Recent years? It came out so long ago, a Roku was an RPGamer reviewer not a TV streaming device.
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Back from vacation. The list has been updated for all two people to complete games since I left town Friday morning.
    ClixPsi.png
    We gave you quality people over quantity.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Recent years? It came out so long ago, a Roku was an RPGamer reviewer not a TV streaming device.

Hmm, true. The release dates throw me off because Wings hit in 2007 and the next expansion, Seekers, came in 2013.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Bloodborne (PS4)

Procrastinating on beating this long enough, I sat down and finished it over the course of 3 days. Definitely a harder game than the main series Souls games, and also a more satisfying game in general. Lovecraftian horror, gothic architecture, and a hell of a lot more terrifying and depressing. I enjoyed this game, and I'll need to play it again sometime. But screw the Frenzy mechanic and several monsters in this game that love giving it, they made it harder than necessary.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (PC)

A Star Trek game that pays homage to the original series with 7 new episodes. This game is largely a point & click adventure, with some starship battles thrown in. Unfortunately, one of those components is a lot better than the other.

The point and click sections have some complicated puzzles, which can take some thinking and trial & error to solve. Given the time commitment for solving puzzles, I tend to play older games with a guide, and I have to say that I am not sure where some of the solutions may have come from. That said, the puzzles seem logical, and while you can lose your redshirt, every episode can be passed without losing them. The final episode does have some issues with the coding, which can be avoided if you follow the correct sequence exactly but can force you into a stuck position otherwise. The story isn't particularly deep, the episodes are fairly barebones, but they did attempt to throw in a few things such as what appeared to be the first meeting between Kirk and Carol Marcus for instance.

On the other side, the starship combat is absolutely frustrating. I found it fairly easy and straightforward in the main story battles, and wasn't sure what all the complaints were about until I got to the final battle in the 7th episode. Seriously, screw that battle. So the battles take place where you need to throw up your shields and weapons, you control the aiming and direct Scotty in repairs, and you have sensors that actually make sense, and control over the speed. The AI generally isn't too bright, so most of the battles are fairly trivial. However, the final battle is against 3 enemies that just overwhelm you. Some people swear by the "go in reverse" tactic, however I never got that to work. This battle feels like its all about luck, and after a couple dozen tries I finally nailed it.

The first 6 episodes are more or less pretty good, but they really dropped the ball on Vengeance. That said, this game is worth playing through for trek fans.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    God Eater Resurrection (PS4) finally done in around 51 hours. Very much enjoyed, definitely works better without having to use The Claw like on PSP. Probably have a review up later this week, until here's a couple of random mission recordings - Link 1, Link 2
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    I played through Dishonored: Definitive Edition (PS4) and will try out the DLC for the first time tomorrow. Outside of 4X games and randomized dungeon crawlers, this is the 3rd game that I've completed 3 or more times in adulthood. I might play it a 4th time soon because a low chaos playthrough is leaving me itching to replay it and murder everything. I don't think this is one of the best games ever; it's just the perfect difficulty, atmosphere, and length for me to replay it. Plus the gameplay is very different depending on whether you're killing people or not.

SMT: Nocturne and Sacrifice are the other games I've replayed several times. Ogre Battle 64 is borderline because I'm not counting my undergrad years as adulthood.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    Those are similar to the reasons Alpha Protocol is the only game from the past 10 years I've completed three times. Don't think I'd ever replay Dishonored though.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited August 2016
    Woo. Thank you for the assist guys.

Final Fantasy 13-2 (PC) has fallen and I have gotten the main ending I think. So I'll call it beaten; I can go for more endings but that's enough for now. Scratch one off my backlog.

I'll prolly play though the DLC later on but it's good to kill some of the backlog. Decent game but..It has a lot of flaws. I had blown raspberries at this game for PS3 because it has way excessive DLC. But the PC version has the DLC except for a couple pieces, so that works I guess. ^^ I did enjoy it though, so that's that.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    Final Fantasy 13-2 (PC) has fallen and I have gotten the main ending I think.

If you beat the three dragons, you got the regular ending. There is a slightly extended version if you have all 160 fragments if you re-fight them.

There are a bunch of "paradox" endings, but I believe all but one require you have already finished the main story and got a fragment skill that unlocks the paradox endings.
    The one other one is if you agree to stay in the dream with Lightning, which doesn't require the fragment skill.
    I don't really think the paradox endings really count, they are more like screwed up endings where you didn't follow the story.

Also, if you're going to do the DLC, the Sazh and Lightning one can be knocked out in about 3-4 hours altogether. All the rest of them are just colliseum battles. You will miss pretty much nothing by skipping them altogether.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Yes I beat the three dragons. Took me a couple tries to get the rhythm, but got them.

I'll see about doing those before I uninstall it from my system for space. That's the good thing about steam; I can get rid of a game and still have the save, and come back to it later.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    Finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong- Extended Edition (PC) with my physical adept. A fairly satisfying ending (well, I've only seen one of them so far).

I'm pretty ambivalent about the changes to the Matrix. The visuals were great, but I don't like SR:HK's hacking minigames very much. They get repetitive and rely on player reflexes, making your Decker's skills less relevant....

Anyway, still an amazing RPG, even if I feel Dragonfall surpassed it in some ways. Hoping HBS starts working on another SR CRPG after Battletech is released.
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Monster Traveler (GBC) -- or possibly Mon-Star Traveler, since I think that's what they were aiming for with the title. It's short, it's kind of mediocre, and it has very little in common with the Pokemon games that it is so obviously trying to clone visually. Rolled credits, but I don't feel like trying the post-game quest.
    edited August 2016
    King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (PC)

I'd heard this one was a bit of a departure from the previous games, but I was really surprised at how many of the core design and aesthetic principals were changed; it's almost as if it was made for a completely different series. Maybe the Sierra gals played Monkey Island and thought "oh, actually, that's way better."

I think I'll probably bail here; VII does not sound like something I'd enjoy, and I don't even have a morbid interest in action-based one. Guess it's time for Quest for Glory...
    Drav wrote: »
    King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow (PC)

I'd heard this one was a bit of a departure from the previous games, but I was really surprised at how many of the core design and aesthetic principals were changed; it's almost as if it was made for a completely different series. Maybe the Sierra gals played Monkey Island and thought "oh, actually, that's way better."

I think I'll probably bail here; VII does not sound like something I'd enjoy, and I don't even have a morbid interest in action-based one. Guess it's time for Quest for Glory...

Space Quest VI had a similar extreme shift of style and interface, and certainly not for the better >_<

Quest for Glory, on the other hand... The first (VGA), second, and fourth games are great, the third sort of feels shoehorned in, and the fifth... >_>; Again, something happened at Sierra in the late 90s that made their designers all want to do extreme shifts in format.
    edited August 2016
    What makes the VGA version better than the EGA, out of interest? Most fan polls I've seen hedge towards the original.
    It may have been timing issues with my computer, but I've usually had problems with the combat system of the EGA version. The VGA version has the same combat system as Trial by Fire, which is by far my favorite of the series. I do agree that not all the visual upgrades on the VGA work for me, and I kinda miss the type-in interface, but it's still far and away better than Wages of War or Dragon Fire.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited August 2016
    Monster Hunter Generations (3DS) - After putting quite a bite of time into completing both the village and online main quests, I think it safe to list this one even though its going to have a fairly long life ahead of it.

Honestly Im somewhat undecided on my opinion of MHGen, but I'll say unequivocally that I enjoy MH4 more than this game. Theres a few reasons for that, first one being that the story mode lags way behind and the sheer number of gathering or killing small monster quests is enough to drive a person up a wall if you try and play it at the pace the quests are presented to you. My other gripe is just the removal of the G-Rank and the Endgame in general is sorely disappointing. Sure, high rank may be the best its ever been, but at the end of the day I miss the huge monster fights like Jhen Mohran and the massive selection of relevant armors to choose from. Also, the 140 Quests and RNG Relic weapon drops were something I truly enjoyed, just getting on and fighting those for the sheer fun of it, not to mention the small chance you'll find something cool, was enough to keep me interested in playing on and off for a really long time. Adding to all of that though, theres actually a problem with the AI in this game compared to the rest, because this game may as well be called Coward Hunter Generations, at times. I've had monsters flee 5, 6, 7, even 8 times on countless occasions in a timespan of under 10 minutes. Sure, fleeing isnt a bad idea by any means, but when a monster flees this often all it does is pad total play time and break up the action.

Now, MHGen certainly isnt bad by any means. The addition of Hunter Arts is pretty fun, even if many of them are actually not too good, the added gameplay element is quite welcome. New skills such as Blunt and those provided by the Deviant Monsters are a neat idea, even if hunting them can be a little monotonous at times. There were also quite a few quality of life changes that are difficult to list off hand, such as no longer being forced to crouch carve to get items faster. Overall MHGen is a decent multiplayer game that continues the good name of Monster Hunter. It just has a very hard time living up to the spectacular MH4U, though maybe thats because we're going to get MHGU sometime down the line.
    Shin Megami Tensei: Persona (Vita)

This is the first SMT game I have played. Probably not the best choice, however I wanted to play one that was less complex than some of the others. I played the PSP version, the SEBEC route on easy, with a guide to get the good ending.

The story in this game is definitely not the draw here. I'm not even really sure what happened, and I need to go read a synopsis.

The real draw is the battle system. A grid based battle map, with far more options than your typical JRPG. Basic weapon attacks, gun attacks, or access to several abilities among the up to three Personas attached to each character. Further, you can enter into conversation with certain enemies which can yield a lot of different effects, at most any time during battle. The battle system is deep, however I don't find myself particularly interested in complexity these days. For most of the game, easy with auto-battle using personas or guns serves well for most battles in the game, until near the end, along with creating a couple extra more powerful personas. Persona creation is yet another complex system, which I didn't really take the time to fully explore as the complexity just doesn't appeal to me as much as it used to. However, I can understand where people would find enjoyment- I can see myself spending a lot of time with this system had I played the original PSX version when it was new.

This game also makes the cardinal sin of not having subtitles during spoken dialogue in cutscenes. Thankfully, there are only a few of them through the entire story. Further, the music during battles was easily the most obnoxious music I've ever heard. Cardinal sin number 2 is to have frequent heard music with lyrics in them that loop frequently. I found myself going a little nutty by the end of the game.

Its a decent game, but tomorrow I'll probably forget most everything about this game.
    smacd wrote: »

Its a decent game, but tomorrow I'll probably forget most everything about this game.

Going to play any of the other Personas? The seem to shift from gameplay > story to story > gameplay.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Macstorm wrote: »

Going to play any of the other Personas? The seem to shift from gameplay > story to story > gameplay.

Definitely planning to. I doubt I'll be able to finish the existing series before 5 comes out though, but I'll try to get through a few more by then. I have 5 pre-ordered, mostly based on the hype everyone seems to have.

The thing for me though is that Persona 1 and the 2s seem like they would be more appealing to me than 3 and 4 do, for various reasons. The dating sim elements in the later games don't speak to me at all for instance. But we shall see. Everyone says Person 4 Golden is the best game on the Vita. Persona 1 though was just "ok, that was a thing I guess".
    The thing for me though is that Persona 1 and the 2s seem like they would be more appealing to me than 3 and 4 do, for various reasons. The dating sim elements in the later games don't speak to me at all for instance. But we shall see. Everyone says Person 4 Golden is the best game on the Vita. Persona 1 though was just "ok, that was a thing I guess".

Dating sim parts aside, I liked the gameplay of P3&4 way more than the original trio.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm