If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Dragon Ball Z: Budokai (PS3 via Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection) - All Trophies

The Platinum is shared between the collection, so I won't get Plat until later.
    ClixPsi.png
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4) -- Review coming soon!
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Cosmic Star Heroine beta (PC/Steam) -- OK, it's just the beta, so I'm not sure it counts, but I'll leave it here anyhoo.
    I am going on vacation. I will be back Monday afternoon, and I will update the list at that time, assuming anyone beats anything this weekend.
    ClixPsi.png
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Back from Australia, and while I was away I beat Inazuma Eleven Go! Light (3DS)

Now that I own a PAL 3DS, looking forward to grabbing IE3 and IEG2 in the near future.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Dark Souls - Xbox 360
    Dark Souls : Artorias of the Abyss DLC - Xbox 360

I knew beforehand that Dark Souls was a hard game, but upon finishing the game, it’s not as hard as people make it out to be. The only boss I had a hard time with, was Manus, which took me 4 attempts. Most bosses only took about 1-2 tries. That being said, I still died quiet a few times.

Game Time: Around 30hrs
    Final Stats:
    Level - 90
    Vitality - 27
    Attunement - 20
    Endurance - 28
    Strength - 16
    Dexterity - 12
    Resistance - 8
    Intelligence - 50
    Faith - 8

Pro
    - Level design and game world design was fantastic
    - Game play/combat
    - Difficulty
    - Rewards exploration

Con
    - Graphics
    - Game is very confusing initially
    - Ending

8/10
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (Vita, 54 hours) - Review to come.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    So for me, it'll be a 90 hour game? Good to know.

Skimmed my Steam queue for short simulation or similarly randomized games to play and ended up with The Curious Expedition (PC). Beat it on easy to learn the game, and will move up to the normal difficulty soon. It's fine but nothing special. Turn-based map exploration and inventory management seem to be much more important than randomized events or strategy.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PC) Fixed HR's bad endings problem by not really having one, yay! Still it was a pretty fun game and the sidequests were surprisingly excellent. Way better than the main story generally, which is kinda weird.
    I am back from vacation, and I have updated the list.
    ClixPsi.png
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Theatrhythm Final fantasy(3DS)

Well I did beat all series songs and some more but since I got Curtain Call, I don't want to spent too much time with this one.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    You Must Build A Boat (PC)
    Had some fun with this, but not as much as with 10000000. For some reason, this one was a bit frustrating and less rewarding to me.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Poker Smash (Xbox 360) - completed every puzzle in Puzzle Mode.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations (3DS)

This wraps up the Phoenix Wright Trilogy for me.

The third game didn't really add anything particularly new with regard to new gameplay tools or minigames. The game does however really bring it with the over-arching story, bringing a cohesive story that results in a satisfying ending. The characters all feel like they have stronger development and interesting motives for their actions. The only weak point was the filler case in the middle, which like the other game's filler cases really wasn't fun or interesting.

Overall, I enjoyed the overarching story among the trilogy, and I feel that the third game really seemed to wrap up the series in a satisfying way. I'm not sure why there are more games in the series. On the other hand, the gameplay itself was fairly dreary and I didn't find myself enjoying the investigation sections. I also have a hard time with seeing how ridiculous the "legal" system in this world works, which is downright dysfunctional. I'm not sure if I really want to play any of the subsequent games in this franchise.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Wolf Among Us: Episode 1: XBONE Better than I expected. I enjoy the atmosphere and characters.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    My brother downloaded Broforce (PS4) when it was free earlier this year. It's another couch co-op game neither of us had heard of or knew anything about. We try not to pay for them because we use them as a break from higher priority entertainment and only stick with them if they're fun. Broforce was rather fun. Chaotic two minute stages that didn't punish dying much at all made for a silly experience that we laughed our way through.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • daveyddaveyd Turn-based lifeform PAFull Members
    edited September 2016
    Completed Expeditions: Conquistador (PC). Great game. While I generally tried to make peace with native peoples, I allied with one tribal chieftain and killed the Aztec emperor. The King of Spain was disappointed I didn't return with more gold and jewels. Apparently ~14,000 pieces, detailed maps, and establishing positive trade relations with Natives wasn't enough for his royal majesty :pensive:

Main complaint with the game was that my character can't participate directly in the battles, which makes me feel less immersed in the action. Also, ranged attacks are generally underpowered. Apparently both of these will be rectified in Expeditions: Viking. Can't wait for it!
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

daveyd wrote: »
    Completed Expeditions: Conquistador. Great game. While I generally tried to make peace with native peoples, I allied with one tribal chieftain and killed the Aztec emperor. The King of Spain was disappointed I didn't return with more gold and jewels. Apparently ~14,000 pieces, detailed maps, and establishing positive trade relations with Natives wasn't enough for his royal majesty :pensive:

Main complaint with the game was that my character can't participate directly in the battles, which makes me feel less immersed in the action. Also, ranged attacks are generally underpowered. Apparently both of these will be rectified in Expeditions: Viking. Can't wait for it!

Just to make sure, this is for PC, correct?
    ClixPsi.png
    edited September 2016
    Clix wrote: »
    Just to make sure, this is for PC, correct?

Correct. It's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux (Linux is Steam only).
    Currently playing (on PC): Hard West, Eisenwald: Blood of November, Dungeon Rats, Wasteland 2, Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire

• Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    edited September 2016
    I completed Bravely Second: End Layer for the 3DS while I was in Honduras. Good Arceus, where do I even start...

This game makes me so incredibly happy! Many of you may know that I adore Bravely Default, despite its well-known issues. Square Enix and Silicon Studios definitely learned from their mistakes. I didn't think it would, but Bravely Second exceeded my expectations. I prepared myself for a weaker story and less-awesome music, but I had nothing to worry about.

Bravely Second's story is arguably not as original as Default's, but it is still very well told. The game does a lot of tell, don't show, but so did the first game. Cutscenes are still very dynamic and I love the improved facial expressions. Second's story is helped greatly by the improved pacing, so that the strong points in the plot come sooner but more naturally. Also, it's refreshing that we learn about the motivations of the villains much sooner than in the first game and the characterization of the Glantz Empire's asterisk bearers is more effective than that of the first game's Eternian bearers.

The side stories for the Eternian asterisks bearers were awkward on a few levels. There is no way to choose a wrong answer, but I can understand why the "bad endings" were taken out of the western version of the game. After all of the complaints about the repetition in the first game, and from feedback from Japanese players, the developers and localizers probably thought western audiences wouldn't want to go through the side quest four times. Ideally, the quests would have been entirely different to avoid this mess. Also, some of the conflicts themselves were kind of dumb (the one where you have to choose between the dark knight and time mage really takes the cake). I do like how the side stories built up to the last one to get the Templar job.

What I really enjoyed about the story, though, was how more involved it is to the characters, especially Magnolia and Yew. I also didn't think this game could blow my mind in the way that the first game did, but boy, was I wrong! I'll say more on that later. I've already written before in the "What are you playing today" thread about my love of the characters. I can add that I really enjoy how the four party members interact. They really feel like a group of good friends, more so than the Warriors of Light in the first game. Heck, I even like Tiz and Agnès more now. And I can't say it enough: Yew is adorkable!

The battle system is as fun and strategic as ever. The new jobs are loads of fun to use, and I like how most of them are very different from the legacy Final Fantasy jobs. Fighting through consecutive battles feels quite rewarding. I found the game's difficulty to be fair on normal.

I've already said how much better the voice direction is in Second compared to Default. Now I want to give praise to the writers and localizers of the scripts as well (though maybe more the latter, since I heard the Japanese script has a lot of lame memes in it). This isn't to say that Bravely Default had poor localization, but Second's is so much better. This is even in spite of some oversights in Yew's Journal and one inconsistently translated Catmancer ability. The writing in this game is funnier and more enjoyable to read and hear than in its predecessor.

All in all, I would say that Bravely Second is a better game than Bravely Default. The pacing is so much better, I enjoy the story more, love the characters both returning and new, combat is as fantastic as ever, there is a slight but noticeable improvement to the graphics, and the writing is a little better, or at least a little funnier. The music isn't as awesome as in the first game, but it has grown on me. It's a good and fitting OST, but it's not mind-blowingly amazing and not a candidate for "Best Video Game OST Ever IMHO." it is good to hear the many returning pieces of Revo's music. Suffice it to say, Bravely Second is my new favorite 3DS game, and my most favorite game this year thus far. It apparently hasn't sold as much in the same amount of time as Default, but it has done decently well and may still hit a million copies. Regardless, I wouldn't mind a "Bravely Third" in a few years. There are a few very vague sequel hooks in this game.
    Oh gods, I love the ending! Sure, Edea gets the romantic short stick, but the promise for her to be with Ringabel is there. I'm still not sure if that person with her in the very last scene is Alternis or Ringabel. At first I thought this game was going to have Edea and Alternis get together, but the hints that he was Ringabel started soon after that. I was elated to see Agnès propose to Tiz. Considering everything they've been through, it's so heartening to see them happy together, at last. I'm also glad to see Yew and Magnolia get together as well. Sure, the parallels between their relationship and Altair and Vega's is a little contrived, but I can't help but think that it's all so very sweet. and well done. I am a sucker for a cute, obvious romantic sub-plot. Also, I rarely see video game romances told this openly. Any game that avoid the Cannot Spit it Out trope and paces the romance competently has a good love sub-plot in my book. Yew's declaration of love to Magnolia is super adorable, too!

And also... "For the Sequel," the subtitle for the enhanced version of Bravely Default in Japan (the one that became the western release) lives up to its name even more than I thought it did! It seemed at first that this version of BD is "for the sequel" because it included enhancements and mechanics from the then-upcoming Bravely Second. What bugged me throughout the sequel, though, was how despite how important the Bravely Second mechanic is the story, it is included in "For the Sequel" with no fanfare. That was on freaking purpose! They used the setting's time and space shenanigans to save Tiz by sending the SP hourglass back in time! This means both versions of Bravely Default are canon! Gah!

To further blow my mind, there's the revelation that Anne was Airy's mysterious sister from the very beginning and very end of Bravely Default! When I first beat Bravely Default, I thought it was amazing and touching that the fairy at the very beginning that asked you, the player, to stay until the very end was not Airy but someone different. She seemed to be a good person who wanted you to stop Airy and Ouroboros by saving Tiz's life and guiding the Warriors of Light. Then in Bravely Second Anne mocks you by repeating what she said to you at the beginning of Default. She only coerced you into helping the party stop Ouroboros so that her own evil god could start his plans in earnest. Gah! That's not even getting into the crazy metaness of the final boss sequence. Needless to say, my mind has been thoroughly blown.

One last little niggle, though...was Deneb also the Adventurer in Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light? O_O I am glad to see I was wrong about the mysterious narrator for some chapters being Vega.

Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Completed the hero route for Hyrule Warrior Legends - 3DS

Doesn't roll credits as the 3DS versions does the villain route after the hero route unlike the WiiU version but it is a full story done so i'm counting it as beaten but not completed.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Gone Home (PC)

a nice little story!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited September 2016
    Fallout 4: Automaton (PC)
    Fallout 4: Wasteland Workshop (PC)
    Fallout 4: Far Harbor (PC)
    Fallout 4: Contraptions Workshop (PC)
    Fallout 4: Vault-Tec Workshop (PC)
    Fallout 4: Nuka-World (PC)

Not going to post my full individual reviews for each of these here. However, the summary is that the DLC that ends in "workshop" is an insult to everyone who bought the Season Pass or likes achievements, as they mostly amount to new settlement building crap. The Settlement building was neat, but should have been part of the dev kit that I don't believe was ever released rather than part of the game. The Vault-Tec Workshop in particular was disappointing in that it could have been so much more interesting if they built a robust system for being an overseer of your own vault and doing messed up things to your residents. There were some storyline things but it was hardly what I would have wanted.

Automaton was a small step up over the "Workshop" DLCs, in that building your own robot companion is pretty cool, and it actually had a bit of a story. However, the story was fairly forgettable. Far Harbor and Nuka-World, however, are exactly what the DLC for this game should be like. I'm not sure if I like them for their actual content, or due to how disappointed I was with the rest of the DLC though. Both added large new land areas and dozens of new areas, factions, quests and story. Far Harbor was fine for what it was, but Nuka-World really stands out for flipping the normal story on its head and letting you lead the Raiders. While I didn't complete most of the optional content in Nuka-World, I definitely enjoyed my time with it more than any of the other DLCs.

I have to say though, that I've been left with a sour taste and disappointment with Bethesda for the first real time in 23 years of being a fan of them. Most of the DLC provided here completely missed the point, and felt like an insult for the prices. Even considering I bought the season pass before the price hike, I feel like I was ripped off.

As a side note, I consider these "completed" based on either finishing the main quest involved, or in the case of the "workshops"- obtaining all the achievements associated.
    Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS3 via Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection) - Platinum Trophy

Hurray! My 20th Platinum trophy. Better yet, I've only had a PS3(+) for 3 years.

As for the game, it has aged WAY better than the first game. While I know they included the first game so it would be an actual collection, Budokai 3 still holds up as one of the best anime-series fighters. Also, the game itself actually looks like a PS3 title and not just a PS2 with a simple new coat of paint (which is more what Budokai HD is). For Budokai 3 alone, I do recommend this collection. Sadly, it has retained a decent degree of resale value ($25-30), so it's not a bargain-bin special.
    ClixPsi.png
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited September 2016
    Pokemon Platinum Version

Just rolled credits on it by defeating the Elite 4 and champion. It's a good game and definitely improves on the groundwork laid by Diamond and Pearl. Still have to do the post-game, but so far, the hype for this game proceeded and ultimately didn't live up to it. Still a good game though, and definitely one of the series high-points. Definitely worth a play-through. Speaking of which, my team through this was awesome:

Dantes the Umbreon
    Alexander the Rotom
    Heracles the Rhyperior
    Lu Bu the Infernape
    Kojiro the Crobat
    Solomon the Milotic

Now, for the next games on my list. I have lots of VNs to get through this year, but I'm going to be doing some Pokemon on the site, post-game is calling after all. I'm due for a few Platinum Trophies as well.
    Medabots 7 (3DS)

My thoughts on this one are mixed. On the one hand, it did a lot to improve the basic mechanics and add new twists and strategies in. On the other hand, it also took a torch to most of the previous game's events, and to some points of canon from the entire series as a whole, while also giving the player an outrageously ridiculous set of geography to work with. I'll have to think long and hard before penning the review for this one.

--

The Ember Series: A New Fire (alpha) (PC/Steam)

This one, on the other hand, I have no need to think long and hard about. It was incredibly rough around the edges, and wore out its welcome well before I got to the end of the featured content. This will be one impression that was not impressed at all.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (PS4)

Procrastinating long enough, I finished the game, getting every character ending. Lots of callbacks to previous games in the series, and this apparently leads into the research that led to SO3. Character endings are nice and "link" pretty well, to the point where they all feel like parts of the same ending. The game as a whole isn't overly amazing, but it's definitely fun, which is what I need more JRPGs to be.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    Seven: The Molmorth Cavalry (PS2

Now in for the world record of longest time passing between saving one's game in the final level and actually beating the game, we have Seven: The Molmorth Cavalry in at 10 years, 6 months, and 8 days!

... I should probably restart the story and play through the first hour or so again before I try and write a review, maybe >_>;

Still, it's a beautiful game with beautiful music and a really odd battle system.
    Completed Dead State: Reanimated (PC).
    Wow, this was a pretty long game. It did occasionally get repetitive but overall very much enjoyed it. It is as if "The Walking Dead" and "Fallout 1 & 2" had a baby. I liked that it had permadeath any character you take out into the field can die / be infected.

There were a few bugs and some features in modern turn-based tactics games that I would've liked here (e.g., cover system, flanking, etc.) but I highly recommend it to anyone who likes CRPGs with turn-based tactical combat.

• The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited September 2016
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II [PS3]: Cool game, and they've certainly left themselves plenty of directions to take CSIII in. Also, I wonder how many people got confused as hell by the pre-epilogue sequence, or does everyone who plays these games follow the series pretty closely?