If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II [PS3]: Cool game, and they've certainly left themselves plenty of directions to take CSIII in. Also, I wonder how many people got confused as hell by the pre-epilogue sequence, or does everyone who plays these games follow the series pretty closely?

It was definitely a WTH moment.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 2: Children of Arkham (PS4) -- Seriously, I am thrilled to see where this goes after this episode. Much better one than the first!
    Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (3DS) - Review to come!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2016
    Playing The Curious Expedition earlier this month reminded me that FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) is my favorite game of that style. I haven't played FTL since I bought a new PC in 2015. I did a couple playthroughs last weekend, and now that it's installed again it'll probably be my go-to game when I'm bored at night and don't want to get into something long.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited September 2016
    Wolf Among Us: Episode 2: XBONE Another solid entry for sure. I wasn't expecting to like this game as much as I do.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS) - For review
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
    Wolf Among Us: Episode 3: XBONE. Least favorite so far but still a strong episode. Glad to finally be rid of a certain character.
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    Whew, finally wrapped up The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (PS3)

Although it's still the best game I've played all year, I thought the first game was much better overall. Cold Steel 2 started out really strong, but it really started to fall apart towards the end. The ending was a major let-down.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    Virtue's Last Reward (3DS) - Well, that certainly went places I didn't expect. I did enjoy it, but I definitely think I enjoyed 999 better. It was also much longer than I expected, clocking in at about 35 hours. Puzzles were mostly good, and I only needed to reference walkthroughs a few times, usually when I didn't know that I could interact with something in the environment. I'm not in a big hurry to move on to Zero Time Dilemma, but I will get there eventually. I will say that I disliked the fact that I didn't know when I was actually done with the game. After having to sit through the credits in their entirety nine times, I assumed there would be some notice once I finished the extra endings. Also, let me skip the credits after I've seen them once, OK?
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Whew, finally wrapped up The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II (PS3)

Although it's still the best game I've played all year, I thought the first game was much better overall. Cold Steel 2 started out really strong, but it really started to fall apart towards the end. The ending was a major let-down.

My own opinion of the ending is strange because it pretty much rides entirely on where CSIII ends up going with it.

The epilogue dungeon was a biiiit much for something that was basically pointless, though.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    Make America Great Again: The Trump Presidency (PC)

Completed with the rank of God Emperor. Make America Great Again!
    River City: Tokyo Rumble (3DS) - Review to come!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited October 2016
    Inexistence (PC)

I got a couple hours of entertainment out of this game, but it honestly left a lot to be desired. The game itself is competently designed and coded, with the exception of some achievement breaking bugs I encountered. The story on the other hand is nearly non-existent. I found the game both short, and not as much like a metroidvania as I was hoping it would be.

I hope the developer continues to work on games, and I look forward to what he makes in the future with some more experience under his belt.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Yo-Kai Watch (3DS)

Fun little one, a bit on the easy side.
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    edited October 2016
    Wolf Among Us: Episode 4: XBONE. Got a little silly with my choices this time around, part of that was from playing at 3am haha.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth (PS4) I'm glad to say I killed another one out of the backlog. Man..I had a ball with it, and there's still more to do if I want to go back. But I got to the end of the story, and that's enough for me. Good game and a lot of fun.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited October 2016
    Limbo (Vita, 4 hours) - After starting it over three years ago, I finally went back to finish this. Not a huge fan, but it was fun enough.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirits of Justice (3DS). Apart from the really weak 4th case, this was one of the better Ace Attorney games. Especially the final case, really awesome. On par with the final case of AA3, probably. Story was pretty heavily focused on Apollo this time around, and the end
    hints towards us maybe finally getting some of the answers left hanging at the end of AA4
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Pokemon Scramble (3DS)

After about 16 months of off-and-on play, I managed to get all 719 available Pokemon with no real-life money spent. I still have a couple of diamond-reward challenges on some of the "story" missions, but I don't think I'll bother unless I'm bored and need a quick distraction.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Also finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (3DS) last week. Not sure quite where it stands, I think I'd put 2 through 4 ahead of it for varying reasons. Last case is noteworthy for being one of the better ones in the series as whole, though. Think this one easily has the most terrible names in the series, and though I can't tell if that's a good or a bad thing.

Played through the full DLC case (Turnabout Time Traveler) over the weekend. That one is a lot more like the "classic" Ace Attorney cases than those in the game, which I appreciated.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Wolf Among Us: Episode 5: XBONE. Well, the game ended. I was expecting something a bit more dramatic in the end but I'm still satisfied with the final product.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Hyrule Warriors Legends (3DS)

Holy molly, I've finally rolled credits on this game. Every time I though they were coming, the game just surprises you with more story. That doesn't even include the adventure maps, the new gold skulltulas that appeared, and the dlc stuff. I even have characters to unlock still! Goodness, I'll be playing this on and off for sometime to come now. Definitely one of my favorite games of the year.
    Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics (Vita, 5 hours) - While I still have plenty I can do and more endings to unlock, I did beat the boss on normal and get credits. I'm counting this, but will still keep playing.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Mortal Kombat X (PC via Steam)

Woooh! Two in two days! I've been flirting with the idea of playing MKX since Street Fighter V decided rootkits where a reasonable thing to install on peoples computers. With WB and NetherRealm deciding to actually fix a previously thought abandoned port of MKX, no better time like the present. Game works fantastically and looks amazing even on low settings. Just ran credits and now have a short list of characters I want to get good with. It's so nice to play a fighter with considerable single player content again.

Also, do expect a lot of fighters from me soon.
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Yesterday - PC

Played this game in preparation for the prequel/sequel and ultimately I have mixed feeling about it. On one hand, I liked the story and background artwork, and on the other hand, I didn’t like the animation and the length. At the beginning I didn’t like how the character just teleported to interactive objects, but as the game went on, I came to appreciate it (I didn’t have to wait for the character to walk/run to their destination). I have no issues with the UI nor the puzzles (game has it’s own hint system). Completed the game in about 5 hrs. Felt it could have used double that to flesh out the story more or even expand on it. Knowing how short this game was, I am no longer going to pre-order the next one, which is a shame since I like the developer. I am going to wait for some reviews first.

Pro;

- Background artwork
    - Story

Con;

- Way too short
    - Character animation

• severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters: Daybreak Special Gigs (PS4) finished off. Full review coming soon, enjoyed playing it again but definitely not as many enhancements as I'd hoped. Maybe worth it for those who didn't get round to it the first time, but hard to recommend as a rebuy.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Alone With You (Vita, 6 hours) - Fun little story, but not as compelling as the last game from Benjamin Rivers, Home.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Dual Destinies (3DS)

So, I was definitely spoiled by playing Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright before this. This game just doesn't grab me. The characters are pretty good, and Athena and Blackquill are wonderful additions to the cast. However, the OST is the weakest it has been in the franchise (the best songs often being reused from previous titles) and the cases just kind of drag after a while. The fact that they all don't even start looking like a win until the "fantastic twist that no one but the defense has considered" is really frustrating.

That said, the transition to 3D still continues to work well for the series and I look forward to playing AA6... later.
    SuccessorM wrote: »
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Dual Destinies (3DS)

So, I was definitely spoiled by playing Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright before this. This game just doesn't grab me. The characters are pretty good, and Athena and Blackquill are wonderful additions to the cast. However, the OST is the weakest it has been in the franchise (the best songs often being reused from previous titles) and the cases just kind of drag after a while. The fact that they all don't even start looking like a win until the "fantastic twist that no one but the defense has considered" is really frustrating.

That said, the transition to 3D still continues to work well for the series and I look forward to playing AA6... later.

Play the DLC case. It's... it's just awesome. You get to defend a whale!
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Pokemon Platinum Version (DS)

Well, this was a belabored playthrough (late July to present), though the actual play time was only 57 hours. My team was Kangaskhan, Weezing, Torkoal, Starmie, Yanmega, and Spiritomb, all raised as eggs. I am still fairly sure this is my favorite in the series, though I will admit that it could always be a bit faster.
    ClixPsi.png