If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Somewhat unexpectedly hit the endgame of Yo-kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls(3DS) today. Not that it was short; I just thought there would be a clearer run-up to the end. It works with the goofiness and pace of the game that the villain shows up and immediately starts the endgame without a prolonged episode associated with it.

It's definitely a better package than the first game. There were large improvements in the open world and side quests, and the mechanics that were still poorly implemented felt less important to me. Or maybe I just had a better idea of what to expect.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Item Getter (DS)

While the story really picked up in the last few chapters, it dumped the ending on the player rather unceremoniously, and completely dropped the conclusion of a promising romantic subplot at the same time.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    The Witcher (PC)

One of the harder games for me to decide my opinion on. On one hand, the game feels like it has a very well fleshed out world, and intricate mechanics, and it seems like many of the decisions actually matter. On the other hand, the interfaces are convoluted and the story has some serious pacing issues and is a little difficult to follow when playing casually.

I played just the critical path of the game, and spent as little time as I could wasting it on non-essential questing. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I spent the time to play and complete everything, but maybe not. I do look forward to playing The Witcher 2 though.
    edited October 2016
    R.C. Pro-Am II (Xbone) (Rare Replay)

While I really enjoyed the first R.C. Pro-Am, perhaps due to having played it a lot when I was young, I never had R.C. Pro-Am 2, and I didn't quite find it as fun in some ways.

From a technical perspective, the game itself is better than the original in pretty much every way. The control is better, the rubber-banding doesn't seem nearly as obvious, the store is more extensive, and the maps have a lot more hazards, items, and even starting directions. Further, there are at least two mini-games, a drag race and a tug-of-war game that both involve alt-tapping A/B.

Its a good game, better than the original, but I have a special place for the first game that this one just doesn't stand up to.
    correction, RC Pro Am 2 was played on my Xbone, not PC. too used to saying PC I guess.
    My brother visited last weekend and we played Gears of War 4 (XBOne) couch co-op. We like these games, but I always end up feeling like they should be longer. We played on normal and only had a couple places where we struggled. One was due to it being very late at night and we were sleepy, and the other was the biggest boss fight in the game even if it wasn't the last one. We could handle hardcore, I think, but he gets frustrated easily and it's best to stick to a difficulty level that doesn't give us any trouble.

He hates online multiplayer, so we tried horde mode with just the 2 of us, which didn't go so well. I convinced him to begrudgingly join a public match and we had one net-person stick with us for a while. Horde mode is fun, and it revealed that I do significantly (and consistently) more damage than my brother, something he stays in denial about even when objective stats say otherwise. Still wish the campaign was longer.
    Dragon Quest 2 (Android)

Easily the best version of DQ2 localized in English. This version fixes the issues with the original localization, as well as many of the mechanics issues found especially near the end of the game.

This game often gets the title of the black sheep of the Dragon Quest series. Honestly that probably isn't fair as its usually coming from a modern perspective. The game seems like an early step beyond what the first game laid out and a lot of new, interesting things- even if many of them didn't pan out, they laid the foundation for what would come later.

The story and world expand on the first game, telling the further story of the descendants of Erdrick. While primitive by today's standards, this game was a complete marvel at the time it came out. The final dungeons are downright brutal at times, however this version mitigates many of the issues while still retaining the feel of those dungeons. The inclusion of an in-game world map with landmarks already marked helps navigate an admittedly poorly designed world, to find small islands with cities and dungeons. This version also re-locates one of the crests into a much easier location to find.

Overall, this is a great game, better than what many claim. Its a weaker entry compared to most of the rest of the series, however it is still a product of its time and expanded in important ways on the foundation laid by the first Dragon Quest.

Jurassic Park: The Game: Episode 1 - The Intruder (PS3)
    Jurassic Park: The Game: Episode 2 - The Cavalry (PS3)
    Jurassic Park: The Game: Episode 3 - The Depths (PS3)
    Jurassic Park: The Game: Episode 4 - The Survivors (PS3)

As the first Telltale game to enter their modern style of gameplay, this game often gets a pretty bad rap. While many of the complaints are well deserved, it seems like most people are complaining about the mechanics and ignoring the story altogether.

The interactive part of the gameplay involves two types of sequences, QTEs for all the action sequences, and similarly using buttons to interact to the environment during exploration sequences, as well as some dialogue, etc. On one hand, the exploration sequences are a bit easier to deal with than a point & click, as you are mostly on rails and attempting to figure out the right order for things. However, where everyone complains and mostly gets it right is that they often feel similar to the QTE sequences. Just with less stress. The QTE sequences themselves are the problem, and while it might be due to it being really their first exploration of this style, the QTEs often use too many buttons/sticks, don't give you enough time to process, and require memorization and re-loading to have any shot at getting them all perfect. Further, the engine in this game has the infamous "Telltale Stutter" issue where many of the action sequences freeze up momentarily or otherwise lag, making the QTEs even more difficult. The third and fourth episodes in particular suffer from this issue.

That all said, the story here is actually pretty good. Taking place during the events of the original Jurassic Park movie, just following some other characters (seems to be Telltale's trademark lately..), the events here depict a much bigger, more intricate location than the movie or book ever did. The characters are all fairly unique and well developed for the short amount of time you spend with them, though many of them are rather distasteful. I actually preferred the so-called "bad" ending over the "good" due to the fate of one in particular. Gerry and Jess are definitely stand outs among the cast, as they generally feel like good people. And Jess might even be a better character than Clem, in all honesty. Due to the way the game works, you really end up controlling most/all of the characters at some point, which can be confusing when you end up selecting dialogue options for both characters involved in an argument, and other odd interactions. Overall, the story is pretty well developed, and definitely worth the price of admission here.
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Went through Chase: Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories (3DS) last night. Not very long, about three hours or so, and feels more like a proof of concept than anything. Not much to the gameplay, pretty much straight visual novel interspersed with some fairly easy questions. Story itself is relatively flimsy and basically ends the moment things get interesting. Definitely nowhere near the same level as Hotel Dusk/Last Window.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2016
    Dark Souls III (PS4, 21 hours) - I have some issues with this game, but even a rough Souls game is still fun to me. First game I've beaten all of the bosses in.

(PS: I think my hours and count are off)
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Steins;Gate (PS3) -- I got one of the D-Mail endings (the one for Suzuha which I REALLY liked). I think I'm good for the moment at calling this one done, but I will likely go back to it at some point and try for a different ending. Very cool concept with this game. :)
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Dark Souls III (PS4, 21 hours) - I have some issues with this game, but even a rough Souls game is still fun to me. First game I've beaten all of the bosses in.

(PS: I think my hours and count are off)

You are right, your count was off. I was keeping up with the hours, though. I likely was so focused on trying to keep the hours straight that I forgot to also bump up the count three times. Everything should be fine now.
    ClixPsi.png
    No worries, thanks for doing this.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Nyx wrote: »
    Steins;Gate (PS3) -- I got one of the D-Mail endings (the one for Suzuha which I REALLY liked). I think I'm good for the moment at calling this one done, but I will likely go back to it at some point and try for a different ending. Very cool concept with this game. :)

True ending that thing. Might want a guide but so worth it :)
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Minecraft Story Mode (PS4, 12 hours) - Kinda cute, but didn't need the three DLC chapters. They were OK, but not really the one with all the let's players on it.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Journey (PS4)

For the longest time I didn't understand why people gushed over this game, outside of how it looks. After playing and beating it twice, I finally understand it. The game is simplistic, with you just platforming and moving to collect things while you go on your quest. But the backstory is interesting and really open to interpretation, and the areas are well thought out. I especially loved going through the last few areas with another, and I actually shed a tear when we reached the finale. Didn't know the person, but we just kept going together and helped each other out, and turned back at the final part just to see the sights before finally finishing it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited October 2016
    The Metronomicon (PC) is both a great rhythm game and an excellent RPG hybrid. Anyone who enjoys rhythm games should try it out (unless you hate EDM since that's the whole soundtrack). The way it integrates RPG actions makes it a whole lot of fun and adds just enough forgiveness to the core gameplay that you can spend a split second thinking about what skill to use without ruining musical streaks.

Fighting with the Melody is my favorite song. I've been listening to it outside of the game and I'm cool with it being stuck in my head for a while. Pubstep was the best song from a gameplay standpoint in that it took me a few tries to master and it was the most unique and rewarding in that sense.

I completed every stage and killed every boss and mini-boss on Normal. There's one side quest I can't do, otherwise I did all of them on Normal. I'm playing through the Arena now, which is more difficult than the main story, and plan to replay all the Adventure levels on Hard to see how far I can go.
    Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel (PS4, 4 hours, DLC) - Not groundbreaking, but I had fun exploring the world. The bosses were easy and insane in that order.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Wannabe Mistborn Lucario Administrators
    I just completed the Delta Episode and thus the story of Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS). I loved Ruby/Sapphire when they first came out, and while this game is excellent, I'm still not as keen on it as I am on Black/White. I do appreciate the fleshing out of the plot (even if the "hit the reset button on the world" plot makes little sense in a setting that's practically a utopia). Not quite enough was done to make the characters more realized, but they tried. Zinnia is a neat addition, and someone like her would have been appreciated in X/Y.

Now onto the Sun/Moon demo!
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows (PC) polished off. Review coming soon :)
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Sid Meier’s Civilization VI (PC via Steam)

So, something compelled me to play this at launch despite:
    1) being really bad at the Civilization franchise of games and
    2) them being plagued with problems at launch.

I'm very happy to say that neither possibility managed to keep my from having a ton of fun with it! Being bad helped me get used to the new mechanics and the game doesn't have too many problems. Well, the AI is a bit bugy here and there... I ended up beating a run with Trajan of Rome after about 450+ (cutting really close to the 500 score victory) turns with a Culture Victory.

You may think it weird I'm counting this game complete after one successful play-through. However, this win took me several failed games with other Civs and 35 hours of straight play. I barely left my desk for the past three days trying to win at this. So, I'm calling it good for now, but don't be surprised if you see this next year too.
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Play the DLC case. It's... it's just awesome. You get to defend a whale!

Thanks for the suggestion, but AA5 really really took a lot out of me to finish. It just didn't feel like I was expecting. I will likely somewhere down the line, but I'm not sure when.
    Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal (PS3)
    Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2: The Siege of Spinner Cay (PS3)
    Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan (PS3)
    Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 4: The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood (PS3)
    Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 5: Rise of the Pirate God (PS3)

I believe this was the first major Telltale game, prior to their Wallace & Gromit and Back to the Future point and click games, long before their modern QTE based stories. While I have not played Monkey Island's 3 or 4, and may be missing references to those games, I did thoroughly enjoy the modern take on a Monkey Island story and really enjoyed the depiction of characters I remember from the first games. Both Murray and Stan showing up brought a bit of joyful nostalgia, and I absolutely loved the way they rendered Stan's coat.

The story itself has both highs and lows, and the chapter structure definitely lent it the ability to have numerous cliffhangers. I didn't particularly care for many of the new characters, but I found myself loving Morgan LeFlay. The story definitely throws a few new ideas out there, and Telltale should be commended for their interesting ideas for LeChuck and Elaine. The voice acting, which I generally don't pay much attention to, was superb in this game as well.

That said, the game play here suffers in some of the same ways the older point & click titles typically do. Some of the puzzles feel a bit obtuse, but more over there feels like far too much backtracking to accomplish some goals, especially in later episodes.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game despite some of the gameplay issues I had, and I would love to see Telltale work on a second season even if the chances of that seem slim these days.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2016
    Just wrapped up Exist Archive (PS4). Review to follow soonish.

Also just finished Orwell - Episode One: The Clocks were Striking Thirteen (PC) and Orwell - Episode 2: A Place where there is No Darkness (PC). This is a really interesting game. Honestly, the gameplay is really creepy. Effectively blurs the line between the dangers and necessity of surveillance in the modern age. At the end of episode 2
    you can effectively save potentially dozens of lives from a terrorist attack, but do so through some really disturbingly dystopian means.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    edited October 2016
    I finished Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (3DS) while watching NFL games and taking breaks from work today.

Overall I thought it had the best room puzzles of the series. As a group they were more challenging and legitimate as puzzles. I mostly recall 999 and VLR's rooms having me try every combination of everything until something worked. I also liked how it worked paradox and probability puzzles into the story, though it was odd that some were over-explained while others weren't explained at all.

The storytelling, setting, and plot were all the weakest in the series. The flow chart puzzles made me giggle a few times, and one of the game's late twists was cool because it seemed so obvious after the reveal, but the fragments and flow chart were difficult to follow. This beast got complicated and the story was full of inconsistencies, loose threads, and unexplained actions. Characters spent too much time repeating long-winded sci-fi concepts. A couple story shenanigans and plot drivers made my eyes roll. There were so many convenient, reused items I don't even know which one Alex referred to in his Deep Look. It's disappointing because I thought VLR's storytelling was so tight.
    Reached a true ending on Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (Vita) last night on Vita3 after the screen on Vita1 went kablooey. Went with Nadeshiko for the first playthrough but will probably give it a while before I return and see what Tsuguri's is like. Was starting to lose interest in the from the middle onwards as I didn't really like the new characters that it focuses on and it made the key plot elements was too obvious early on so they lost somewhat their impact. Does a nice job keeping with the series' moral issues/themes, however.

Also the particularly issue in ZTD to me was
    the time machine
    The rest I was ok with, though apparently I'm higher on it than most others.
    Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4) -- So that was a thing.
    edited November 2016
    Regarding ZTD, that was certainly a strange thing to exist, though I was glad it wasn't overplayed, and it appeared early enough that I just accepted it whether or not it made sense.

I had bigger issues with
    the alien cards made out of special needle-shattering material, and the shotgun that seemed to pop up in every cutscene in the last few hours with no one trying to disarm the wielder (which wasn't even important to that puzzle room). My biggest issues were the BS resonance effect letting people control SHIFTing between timelines, that the amnesia drug inexplicably didn't work when the writers didn't want it to, and that this Zero couldn't SHIFT or use the morphogenetic field but was still able to intentionally split and control timelines as a means to an end.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    World of Final Fantasy (PS4) (first ending)...I'm working on the good ending now, for you see the bad ending first. Anyway fun. game. Shame I can't share it with 'Cat b/c the stupid thing only has one save! (evil, really evil!) If you miss turn based Final Fantasy games and you like Pokemon, this isn't a hard sell. Prepare for a nostalgia trip and a pretty good story.

I find I liked this better than the one pokemon game I tried!
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    Gonna drop a bomb 'cause this girl beat two games today!

Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 3: New World Order (PS4)
    -- The continuation for this episodic series continues to keep me intrigued, and I got to see my canon pairing in the Batverse have a little well need 'fun.' <3 Thank you game for bringing out the fangirl in me.

Then I also finally completed Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness (PS4) which I also immensely enjoyed. I started the game with Nadeshiko and while I thought her and Tsurugi weren't the most interesting of characters, I REALLY did enjoy the overarching plotline that was present and at some point I'll do another run through it as Tsurugi. :)

• SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Skullgirls 2nd Encore (PC via Steam)

Needed a pick-me-up so I jumped back into this to work off some energy. Man, this game just keeps getting better. I really wanted to see how things changed after the voice-acted story and this is a very welcome addition to the story. What isn't, however, is that recent updates to the game have "broken" the story mode by having the the voice-lines, text-boxes, and panels run at different times. Real big damper on the experience, but since this is a game I come back to on and off, hopefully it's fixed so I can fully enjoy the dlc character's stories appropriately.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Shining Force CD (Sega CD)

Well was fun to return to that good old game :)
    It was a lot easier than I remember, well beside the museum fight, since you can't pick your characters
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif