If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I finished The Banner Saga 2 (PC) tonight. I expected more of the same, wanted more of the same, and got more of the same, but still feel slightly let down. Combat improved just from the new skills and enemies. That was great. But the story choices and Oregon Trail aspects didn't seem to matter much or carry much weight. Not in a branching storyline way, but in a way where there weren't many surprises and hardly any consequences, unlike Banner Saga 1. I spent over half of Rook's time with no food and it didn't matter. It just made combat more fun because I had to manage willpower use.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors (PSVita) -- Review to come! Honestly, I didn't hate this game as much as I thought I would (given I really don't care for this type of game). Not bad though, bot great either. Got Mizuki's Ending!
  • redwing42redwing42 Classic Console Junkie Full Members
    edited November 2016
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (XBONE) (Death Incarnate difficulty) Fun shooter with some pretty good stealth sequences as well. Final boss was a bit frustrating, until I learned about his invincibility timer. I'm always a sucker for some good alternate history, and this one filled that niche nicely.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited November 2016
    I know this seems like a repeat, but..

World of Final Fantasy(PS4) (true ending)

Man, that was cute. I won't spoil much, but if anyone's doing this for a review and having trouble with the final boss, PM me and I'll give some pointers. Won't say who since that is a spoiler, but he is MEAN. Took me three tries.

BTW, for Clix; Since this was getting a second ending on the same game, please don't count this as separate. Just add (Both Endings) to the previous entry.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Gonna post this again: Orwell - Episode One: The Clocks were Striking Thirteen (PC) and Orwell - Episode 2: A Place where there is No Darkness (PC). I added it as an edit to a previous post, but I think it got missed in the tally.

Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Gonna post this again: Orwell - Episode One: The Clocks were Striking Thirteen (PC) and Orwell - Episode 2: A Place where there is No Darkness (PC). I added it as an edit to a previous post, but I think it got missed in the tally.

I do not notice edits since the system does not notify me of them. It is always best to just double post.
    ClixPsi.png
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    Stories: The Path of Destinies (PC via Steam)

A short little game with lots of charm. I really enjoyed my time with it and manged to get the true ending in 4 (1/2) tries. Loved it and would like to go back and get the other endings when I get the chance.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2016
    Phoenix Wright: The Spirit of Justice (3DS)

Just wrapped up all the cases. Overall I'm pleased with what could be seen as a middle of the road entry into the franchise. Honestly I liked most of the cases, though I feel like looking back that none of them will be particularly memorable. Case 4 was an oddity to me, because it didnt have much to do with anything. Following a very involved Case 3, 4 felt like the typical tutorial that was randomly put this deep into the game to give players a chance to mentally relax with something different. Unfortunately this kind of backfired, as I was so ready to get into the meat of the game at that point that taking such a big step back with a trial that contributed nothing to series lore or the overarching story in general was a disappointment. One of the problems I had with this game was that many of the twists were a little too easy to see this time around, I would have liked to be surprised more often. On the bright side though, they really cleaned up some of the leaps of logic or odd order of evidence presentation that can be found in other games in the series, so actually solving the whole "Courtroom Puzzle" aspect was generally lots of fun and I can't recall a moment where I thought "Why would the game want me to present this here?".

So yeah, Spirit of Justice wasn't amazing or anything, but it was a worthwhile playthrough and I'm glad the series is still alive and well.

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations (3DS)

A great sendoff to the Fates games, though I almost wonder if they couldn't have been more aggressive in killing people off. Or at the very least, introducing them faster so I don't get half the army dumped on me during an endgame-style "no saving or supports" chapter set.

Still, an enjoyable story and a good wrapup. But after three Fire Emblem games (plus Tokyo Mirage Sessions) in less than a year I think I'm good for a while.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    RAW - Realms of Ancient War (Xbox 360)

I didn’t spend much for RAW, about $5 during an Xbox sale, and found it much better than I initially thought. Checking the reviews while playing this game, some people hated it and other really liked it, I am the later. Basically it’s hack and slash much like Diablo 1. RAW started off very slow but picks from the middle to the end. Length is about right for the price which was about 6-8 hrs. Story is throw away but some attempts were made to flesh out the lore. There are a few side quests thrown in but don’t add to the main story. Where it matters though, the combat is good, entertaining and fun, without being amazing. There is plenty of loot drops, however, the best armor and weapons are bought from vendors which is a strange decision. Breaking up the monotony of the games cannon fodder, are mini bosses splattered through out each level. The most disappointing aspect is the very limited level interactivity (no hidden entrances, no breakable objects), oh, and the coop. Coop is local only and progress for second character is not saved after each level.

Pros;

- Graphics
    - Combat
    - Level design

Cons;

- Enemy variety
    - Weapon and armor appearance
    - No level interactivity
    - Local only coop, and progressed for second character is not saved

6/10 - Recommend for people who are after a short and mindless hack and slash game.
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Pac Man: CE DX+: XBONE Just found out all my records didn't transfer over to the XBONE so I had to cycle through this gem again. I used to play this obsessively. Still fun, but I don't know that I'd buy the new game at full price or if I'll wait for a discount. It looks like insanity in both a good way and a bad way, haha.
  • SuccessorMSuccessorM Can't you hear the drums? Full Members
    edited November 2016
    Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (Nintendo DS)

Finishing this game was a long time coming. It's rare for me to play a game and then go "yep, that was a JRPG, alright". The Dragon Quest series seems to be the purest and straight-forward examples on what a JRPG is, despite each game seeming to shake-up the idea just the smallest bit. Monster taming and "marriage" are what got me interested here and I'm really glad I gave the game a try. However, the plot was a bit much for me at this time in my life, but it was worth it to push through. I'm looking forward to playing the other entries in the series.

Edit: I forgot to mention. I was quite unaware what the default name of the protagonist of the game was supposed to be (played it mostly blind in the begging). So I named him after a color, Indigo became "Indy". I am way too proud of that. I will probably try to do the same for other games in the series too.

Edit 2: I completed another game!
    Oh...Sir!! The Insult Simulator (PC via Steam)

Your country still uses windows vista and is quite silly.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - 3DS

After 16 years after the original and 142 hours, most of which was grinding levels and money I can put the main part of this game to bed. Which is where I speant the majority of time playing this game. In bed, at night, before falling asleep. I do believe 40 hours of this is me falling asleep and leaving my 3DS open.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Donkey Kong Returns: Tropical Freeze: Wii U. Co'op. Didn't do world 7, no interest. Great game, but I don't have the patience for that madness.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan (PC, 30 hours) - Not as good as Chains or Wings, but still a good story. Crazy maps and lots of side content I never wanted to touch.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations (3DS)

Yay, I am finally done with all three routes of the twelfth game! I think Revelations was the best route, but the whole project still feels like a mess. While mechanically improved upon Awakening, I still feel like Awakening is the best game in overall design. Fates just seems to be poorly done omni-pandering with no real vision beyond that, made purely in response to the success of Awakening and any criticism lobbied toward it.
    ClixPsi.png
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Legend of Zelda (NES)

was fun to replay the first Zelda, been so long!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
    Super Mario 3D Land (3DS, 7 hours) - This was a spontaneous replay, but I'm glad I did it. Still a favorite since I'm not a Galaxy fan, these nail what I love about Mario.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    160 story missions and 68 hours later God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Vita) is complete. Review coming soon.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    Double-posting because edits aren't notified as said above.

Also last night I got my first ending on Root Letter (Vita) (took about 8 hours overall). Got the Cursed Letter ending which certainly took a bit of a turn, though an exciting one, and is clearly not one of the best ones, at least I sincerely hope not. Will be replaying to get another one, fortunately the game lets you skip chapters after doing the choice thing so won't take too long. Actually really like this game, rather than just straight out visual novel you are doing a lot of Phoenix Wright investigation parts style stuff (albeit lighter), and found the story and locations -- all directly based on a real Japanese town -- to be very interesting.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Crimson Shroud (3DS, 7 hours) - I started this in 2012, got four hours in with three of those spent trying to get a key item in chapter 2. I loaded up my save from 2012 today, got the key item on the first try, and finished the game.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim SE (PC): The SE might not be a huge upgrade in most respects, but it was able to withstand my usual gameplan of "just keep adding mods until the game breaks" long enough for me to actually finish the game for once. Its a miracle!
    Demetrios - The BIG Cynical Adventure (Vita, 6 hours) - A quirky little point and click adventure game. A little buggy, but fun enough. Lots of silly toilet humor.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Pokemon Sun (3DS)

I can't believe I've already plowed through this thing. I'm gonna explore the post-game a bit before I write a review, but my thoughts are almost entirely positive. This was a really well done game.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
  • IzlimakIzlimak New Member Full Members
    Alan Wake - Xbox 360

Just change the name of the town from Bright Falls to Silent Hill and this could very well pass as a Silent Hill game.

Pros:

- Atmosphere is amazing
    - Unique combat where light is used as a mechanic
    - Collectables are actually worth getting and add to the backstory
    - Voice acting

Cons:

- Ends on a cliff hanger (setting up DLC (DLC is now free))
    - Car sequences
    - Having to play twice to get all back story collectables and forced to play on nightmare mode to get them

8/10
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Super Mario World Advance 2: Yoshi's Island (GBA, via 3DS)

Well, this took long enough. I've been slowly working on this ever since I got it through the Ambassador Program in 2011, usually picking it up whenever I needed something light and fun. The second to last level was a right nasty thing, quite deserving of the name (in Japanese) "Very Difficult Athletic Course".
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    Pokemon Sun (3DS) is good. Snorlax mvp.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2016
    Batman: The Telltale Series - Episode 4: Guardian of Gotham (PS4) -- this took a really great turn. I am excited to see what the finale is going to look like.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2016
    Forgot to mention I finished The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) awhile back.

Great game here, I enjoyed my time immensely and its looking to be my favorite game released this year thus far. Essentially, it maintained everything I liked about Cold Steel while adding greater character variety, new types of battles, and ramped up plot intensity. Playing it I felt a lot of Trails SC's influence in this title, in terms of how the plot unfolded and how the gameplay worked. This didn't always work in Cold Steel 2's favor though, unfortunately, as the sheer number of sidequests and repeated areas held this game back from being at the absolute top tier it could have been. At the end of the day I consider both games to be relatively equal, sometimes I prefer the world-building and brand new experiences that Cold Steel 1 brought to the table, and sometimes I think that the storytelling and battle system of Cold Steel 2 was slightly better. Typically there is only one game released in any given year that I enjoy as much Cold Steel 2, and thankfully this one mostly lived up to the hype that I had set for it myself after eagerly anticipating it every day since finishing Cold Steel 1.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    Pokémon Sun (3DS) - 65 hours. I chose poorly at the end.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor