If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The 2016 Completed Games List

Comments

• ClixClix Listmaster Full Members
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Whew, my first game finished for 2016 is also my GOTY for 2015: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3)

If you love classically styled RPGs, do yourself a favor and play this game. It's fantastic.

Final playtime was over 90 hours.

Just to check, do you want me to track your hours?
    ClixPsi.png
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    Clix wrote: »
    Whew, my first game finished for 2016 is also my GOTY for 2015: The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PS3)

If you love classically styled RPGs, do yourself a favor and play this game. It's fantastic.

Final playtime was over 90 hours.

Just to check, do you want me to track your hours?

Nah. Just mentioned it 'cause its such a crazy long game.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    edited January 2016
    I just completed the main story of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team for the DS. I also evolved ny partner, Lloyd the Charmander, into a Charizard. It's not a bad game, and I had some fun traversing through the dungeons and deciding the best time to use items. It's somehow aimed at a younger crowd than even the main games, and this is before the fifth generation, when Nintendo really acknowledged the older member of the Pokemon fanbase. It would be nice if there were a more direct way to recruit the Pokemon you want. I am glad that at least Absol joins as part of the story. I won't be doing any of the optional stuff. Time to move onto Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky!
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

Wow, I must be special. Everyone else's names are separated by four hyphens, but I got a full on horizontal rule!
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    Wow, I must be special. Everyone else's names are separated by four hyphens, but I got a full on horizontal rule!

And fixed. Not sure how I goofed that one.
    ClixPsi.png
    Just finished Aviary Attorney (PC)

This game is.... well, it's weird. It's part ace attorney clone, part visual novel, and all acting as a bit of historical fiction set during the February 1948 French Revolution. Starring a bird lawyer.

So weird.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    The Collider (PC)

Decently fun for a little while. Its fairly difficult at higher levels, and can take quite a few tries. The idea is simple- you are accelerating, and attempting to navigate a tunnel and guide yourself through holes and not crash. The game supports a controller, but even at the highest sensitivity the controller simply is insufficient to play the game at higher levels- so I recommend using a mouse. The other main difficulty is that it can be difficult to tell where the edges are located in order to dodge well.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    I have a weekend off with no plans for the first time since September, so I decided to lose myself in a 4X game for a couple days. I ran through a game of Endless Legend (PC) with the DLC I bought on sale over the holidays. Played on Hard and got far behind in the first half while remembering how everything worked. I was resigned to a loss, but got the #2 largest faction to declare war on the #1 faction just before the #1 guy declared war on me, and staged a huge comeback from there.

It's fun as a 4X change of pace and I'm continuing my slow plan to try each faction once.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Phoenix Wright: Justice For All (3DS)

JFA added a bit of new features, which felt like an interesting puzzle in the psy-locks. I enjoy the concept behind them, but I don't think it really fits that Phoenix is doing this stuff when it seemed to be more appropriate for one of the mystics. I have noticed that the 3DS version seems to have noticeably upgraded graphics, and the 3D effect felt really nice, especially on the Psy-Locks. Like the first game, this one had a couple of trials that really dragged on and didn't feel too relevant. However, I like the way the back story with Phoenix, Edgeworth and von Karma are developing.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    One Finger Death Punch (PC)

That is a fun indie game, you only use the two buttons of your mouse.
    Easy to play but hard to master, play around 13 hours, because I have that completionist urge of trying to get perfect and platinum medal on every stage, at the end I stop that cause I would have to play at least 10 more hours to do that and I have the master level to play now and then the grandmaster. Well will be able to play that a good long while :)

if you did not try this one, go ahead, I really recommend it! It is not an rpg but it a nice game to just lost yourself in and not think too much, you only have two buttons to press after all!
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    I just completed the main story of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team for the DS. I also evolved ny partner, Lloyd the Charmander, into a Charizard. It's not a bad game, and I had some fun traversing through the dungeons and deciding the best time to use items. It's somehow aimed at a younger crowd than even the main games, and this is before the fifth generation, when Nintendo really acknowledged the older member of the Pokemon fanbase. It would be nice if there were a more direct way to recruit the Pokemon you want. I am glad that at least Absol joins as part of the story. I won't be doing any of the optional stuff. Time to move onto Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky!

There is a huge part of me that hopes you'll retroview this. I almost bought this game years ago because of the cute factor. :D;
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff

This game is.... well, it's weird. It's part ace attorney clone, part visual novel, and all acting as a bit of historical fiction set during the February 1948 French Revolution. Starring a bird lawyer.

So weird.

Does it actually have an ending now?
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Played through Contradiction - Spot The Liar! (PC) today. Had a lot of fun with it. It's an FMV investigative game (think Midsomer Murders sort of village setting - though not quite the ridiculous body count of that). Think the thing that makes it is the acting performance of the detective, just right amount of hamming it up to make it entertaining without being silly. Some of the contradictions are a bit iffy, but the game has a nice cheat/hint system so not a deal breaker.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    The Banner Saga (PS4) -- Thoughts to come in our console version review... coming soon!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs Hands off the parfait! Administrators
    Nyx wrote: »
    There is a huge part of me that hopes you'll retroview this. I almost bought this game years ago because of the cute factor. :D;
    I'll consider it, though I hadn't thought of writing one. My opinion of the game is better than that of the official review, but it doesn't feel like a game I really need to retroview.
    Bravely second...
    The courage to try again...

Twitter: BerryEggs

• MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited January 2016
    1/18/2016 - Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U). Well, that was almost 200 hours. Good game for the most part, but it was needlessly grindy, especially toward the end. My end party was myself (L60, Lv9 Galactic Knight), Elma (L58), Lin (L57) and Hope (L56). Even with that, I felt like
    Lao's final form
    was cheap as all hell. I was somehow able to beat the damned thing without taking the "lower difficulty" option, but really felt no sense of accomplishment or triumph. Also, there were enough arbitrary twists at the end to make M. Night Shyamalan proud.

Put bluntly, the endgame sucked, which cheapens an otherwise great experience. Hopefully there'll be some better post-game stuff, because I really would hate for that to be my last impression of this title.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    Paws wrote: »

So weird.

Does it actually have an ending now?

I got ending 4C. I think there are several endings depending on the choices you make in the third chapter.
    Just finished D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die - Season One (PC)

Man, this game is so cool but it's basically unfinished. Only two episodes, and nothing is answered. I dunno if it's gonna get a second season or not, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2016
    I saved the world from an asteroid impact (in the most stupidly deus ex machina way) in Kyoryu King - The 7 Fragments (DS) and got end credits, so I am counting this one as done. The fact that multiple new zones (including the continents of Africa, South America, and Australia) only open up in the post-game is... seriously, enough is enough.

The developers couldn't even come up with a decent plot hook for it; the big bad doctor just shows up, says "Neener-neener-neener, I'm gonna take your magic rock and try and conquer the world -- again!" and you have to go chase his evil minions down, again. And the difficulty curve continued to climb steeply. >_<;

So. End-credits achieved. World saved. Dr. Rausonid can go choke on his own neck-beard. I'm out of here.

-- edit: Just discovered that this got a release in all English-speaking regions as Dinosaur King
  • CronoCrono Member Full Members
    Destiny: Xbone. Main Campaign. It was fun, but the second I fired up the DLC I REALLY started enjoying the game. Seriously, why couldn't Destiny have been this the whole time?
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PC)
    Her Story (PC)

A really interesting game with a complex story told in a disjoint method. The interface is simple, you input keywords in a database search, and up to 5 videos with that keyword in the transcript appear. Finding some of the videos can be a tricky game of trying to suss out every detail from the videos you have seen. Even at the end, the story feels a little ambiguous. Definitely recommend this to people that like trying to solve problems.
  • FoxConfessorFoxConfessor London, EnglandFull Members
    Mass Effect 2 (PS3)

This was great. I finished the first one last year and enjoyed many aspects of it, but this one just improved near enough everything that the first game failed on. And of course this one has Jack and how can you not love her badass-ness. Hoping to start the third instalment sometime soon.
  • OmbresOmbres Games horder Full Members
    Swords and Soldiers(PC)

I finally manage to beat that one, the last Chinese stage was very hard
    Always enjoy all the experience in life, you might gain a level or two.
    sig.gif
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Mass Effect 2 (PS3)

This was great. I finished the first one last year and enjoyed many aspects of it, but this one just improved near enough everything that the first game failed on. And of course this one has Jack and how can you not love her badass-ness. Hoping to start the third instalment sometime soon.

Cause I'm not a fan of Jack? At least not her look, the look in ME3 for her I thought was better. My favorite is still Tali
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    And just finished up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC). I gave up on this game halfway through when it first came out because it got too easy. I must've played it differently this time around, because I had a lot more fun. Skipped a lot of the side quests, that probably helped. At the end of the game I was a lvl 40 shadowcaster (finesse/sorcery) and destroyed everything I came across :D
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    And just finished up Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (PC). I gave up on this game halfway through when it first came out because it got too easy. I must've played it differently this time around, because I had a lot more fun. Skipped a lot of the side quests, that probably helped. At the end of the game I was a lvl 40 shadowcaster (finesse/sorcery) and destroyed everything I came across :D
    Yes, that's what I did. Really enjoyed it without worrying about the side quests, and especially enjoyed juggling around character builds.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Just rolled credits on Net Ghost PiPoPa: PiPoPa DS @ Daibouken! (DS). The ending sequence wasn't much, but it was enough to show me that the developers could have done a lot more with the graphics engine on this game and its 3D-modeled sprites.

Clocked it in at just over 10 hours, mainly because the boss of the next-to-last level dropped an Escape Crystal that I could use to avoid every random encounter from that point onward. Saved me a lot of time. Review to come!

PS: Clix, could you change "Kyoryu King" to "Dinosaur King"? Just for the sake of googling, if anyone's curious about it.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    Mana Khemia: Student Alliance (PSVita) - via PSN

Managed to finally finish this. Game was really lighthearted and only got dark a few times, especially towards the end. Battles were fun turn-based action, and I liked how stats were linked to a book you filled out via crafting. Battles were challenging towards the end, and the bosses were always difficult. I hope other games in the Atelier meta-series have the calendar system this one uses, because it was timed without really having you crunched to complete things (outside of assignments when you enter the dungeon for them) on it.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    PS: Clix, could you change "Kyoryu King" to "Dinosaur King"? Just for the sake of googling, if anyone's curious about it.

Sure thing. I had considered just putting Dinosaur King originally, but I figured there had been a reason for you using the original series title. It is now localized.
    ClixPsi.png